Menu

knitting question

How many stitches should I cast on to make a scarf for my 5yo? I only bought one skein of yarn, it's Vanna's Choice acrylic (if that makes a difference) and I'm using size 8 needles. TIA

The ball band usually has a little graphic thingy that gives you an estimated number of stitches per inch with a particular size of needles. Not super-accurate, of course, as knitters' gauges vary, but good enough for a scarf estimate. Stitches per inch, times the number of inches wide you want the scarf, equals number of stitches to cast on.

(Note the weight of the yarn makes a difference, as well as the needle size.)

My kids were outside today dancing around our oak tree trying to 'make it grow' like Totoro and the kids. I really love that movie! I play it on repeat when I don't feel well and it cheers me up. :)

Thanks for the quick reply- I'm sitting here with 20 cast on, I think it looks okay. Guess it'll be as long as it gets, LOL.

The ball band usually has a little graphic thingy that gives you an estimated number of stitches per inch with a particular size of needles. Not super-accurate, of course, as knitters' gauges vary, but good enough for a scarf estimate. Stitches per inch, times the number of inches wide you want the scarf, equals number of stitches to cast on.

(Note the weight of the yarn makes a difference, as well as the needle size.)

I never did pay attention to that little graph, thanks for pointing it out. :)