Menu

Girl with the Dragon Tatoo..how bad?

Haven't read the books but after having seen the first movie, I am sure I wouldn't want to read the books. That is because movies aren't ever as graphic as some books. They show by implying things in movies while in books, scenes are often described too well. My dd was picking out murder mysteries for me since I am sick and she picked a variety, none of which she had read. At least one so far is way too graphic for me to read. And no I am not squeamish and I used to be in law enforcement so I am used to bad crimes. I just don't like the way some writers write about murders and sex crimes. It seems too lurid and over the top. I know there are plenty of horrific crimes. I don't need blow by blow descriptions of them. The movie didn't do that though more was shown than might have been in a US movie.

I thought the movies were all excellent, esp. the casting. (Actually, I liked them better than the books.) Dh & I just saw the 3rd movie this weekend; it was definitely the tamest by far.

The scene you are referencing is pretty brutal & graphic in both the book & the movie. Definitely not for the faint of heart, imo.

On a slight tangent, dh & I have seen all 3 movies in the theater. The demographic group there fascinates me. I would say the majority of folks are over 50 w/ many being in their 60s & 70s. (Every time, the theater was 1/2 to 2/3 full.) I was surprised. Dh thinks it's because the story is a slightly more complex plot than the typical movie these days (thus more of a draw for a more mature audience), plus the movies have a definitely European feel. Has anyone else who has seen it in the theaters had this experience?

I thought the movies were all excellent, esp. the casting. (Actually, I liked them better than the books.) Dh & I just saw the 3rd movie this weekend; it was definitely the tamest by far.

The scene you are referencing is pretty brutal & graphic in both the book & the movie. Definitely not for the faint of heart, imo.

On a slight tangent, dh & I have seen all 3 movies in the theater. The demographic group there fascinates me. I would say the majority of folks are over 50 w/ many being in their 60s & 70s. (Every time, the theater was 1/2 to 2/3 full.) I was surprised. Dh thinks it's because the story is a slightly more complex plot than the typical movie these days (thus more of a draw for a more mature audience), plus the movies have a definitely European feel. Has anyone else who has seen it in the theaters had this experience?

I didn't think the third movie was out yet??? Netflix says it's coming Spring 2011? We've seen the first two and are dying to see the third. Can you give some additional info?

I didn't think the third movie was out yet??? Netflix says it's coming Spring 2011? We've seen the first two and are dying to see the third. Can you give some additional info?

http://dragontattoofilm.com/

We saw all 3 movies at the theater. (We don't even have Netflix, lol. I have no idea when it will be out on dvd.) The website I linked shows which cities have the film showing in case you are interested in seeing it in the theater.

I'm glad I read this thread. I was very disturbed by the first book and thought I was the only one. Everyone else I know has loved the books. My husband knew I was reading it and pointed the movie out and I didn't really want to watch it. Reading this assures me that I don't.

I'm glad I read this thread. I was very disturbed by the first book and thought I was the only one. Everyone else I know has loved the books. My husband knew I was reading it and pointed the movie out and I didn't really want to watch it. Reading this assures me that I don't.

Same here! My husband bought the books at Costco recently, but he said he found the first one disturbing and gave up shortly into the second one. He can usually handle these things much better than I can, so that tells me I don't even want to go there! I need more light in my life, not more darkness.

http://dragontattoofilm.com/

We saw all 3 movies at the theater. (We don't even have Netflix, lol. I have no idea when it will be out on dvd.) The website I linked shows which cities have the film showing in case you are interested in seeing it in the theater.

hornetposter1.jpg

Thank you!!! Checked it out and it's actually still playing not too far from us!!

I wasn't nearly as bothered by the violence in GWDT as I was by the spanking scene in the first Outlander book. I get so grossed out when I hear women swooning over Jamie :ack2: .

I wasn't nearly as bothered by the violence in GWDT as I was by the spanking scene in the first Outlander book. I get so grossed out when I hear women swooning over Jamie :ack2: .

I think I'm probably the only one who couldn't stand the Outlander book. I only read the first 10% of the first book. That's my rule. If a book doesn't grab me in the first 10%, I give up on it and move on to better things. :) Outlander was just plain out silly and annoying for me.

I think I'm probably the only one who couldn't stand the Outlander book. I only read the first 10% of the first book. That's my rule. If a book doesn't grab me in the first 10%, I give up on it and move on to better things. :) Outlander was just plain out silly and annoying for me.

No you're not the only one. I wish I hadn't wasted my time reading the whole book though. I forced myself because so many people said it was so great. I finished it, but wished for those hours of my life back.