Menu

Help me think of a book for my 4 year old DS?

I'm browsing Amazon right now, looking for inexpensive books I can put in my kids stockings. I think I'm going to buy the second Rainbow Fairy book for DD and a cute frog book that my 2 year old loved when we had it from the library. But I can't decide what to get for my 4 (almost 5) year old DS. I need suggestions!

He enjoys looking at books, but doesn't particularly care about being read to. Can't be a long book.

He's REALLY INTO all superheroes and anything similar - spiderman, superman, batman, justice league, star wars, pokemon (from the library... do they even still make those anymore??). But I don't want to get any of those, I want it to be something nice, you know? Perhaps a story with a hero or he might like dragons or monsters. Really stereotypical boy stuff.

I want to be able to find a book for $5 or less and small enough (or bendable enough) to fit in a stocking, but you all just give me suggestions and I'll check on those things!!:)

What books do your little boys love?

Thanks! We do have a couple of those I Spy books, but I can't seem to get the kids interested in them:)

Hmmm, maybe Sandra Boynton. I could give the Wide-Mouthed Frog to DS4 and a Boynton book to DS2, cause he does like the ones we have.

After I posted, I found Where the Wild Things Are. We've never read that one - is it good?

After I posted, I found Where the Wild Things Are. We've never read that one - is it good?

It's a classic.

My recollection is that my sister enjoyed it a lot (regular check-outs from the library). It wasn't one my son got into :( But it's excellent.

You've never read Where the Wild Things Are? Um, yeah, it's excellent. As a stocking stuffer, though, if you were going to get some Maurice Sendak, I would say get the Nutshell Library. In December I will be, a baubled, banged Christmas tree, with soup bowls draped all over me... But I digress...

I know of a couple of superhero picture books. There's Superhero by Alan Tauss and Traction Man by Mini Gray and Superhero School by Aaron Reynolds - that latter one I read not long ago and it was cute and might be fun to look at for a kid who doesn't like being read to. But a picture book isn't really what you mean. Actually, the challenge you're presenting is sort of tough - you want a "nice" book but also a small, inexpensive book. For kids this age, "nice" usually means a picture book - so a larger format - whereas it's easy readers and chapter books that are inexpensive and small enough for a stocking.

I know some people here dislike Dav Pilkey - but not me - so how about a Ricky Ricotta book? This series is definitely "boy" books - they're cheap and small enough for a stocking and may be a good read for him once he's reading more. They're unbelievably easy for "chapter" books.

I know some people here dislike Dav Pilkey - but not me - so how about a Ricky Ricotta book? This series is definitely "boy" books - they're cheap and small enough for a stocking and may be a good read for him once he's reading more. They're unbelievably easy for "chapter" books.

That's it! This one look perfect for him! Pancakes for breakfast (one of his favorites), Ricky gets a bike for his birthday (DS is getting one for Christmas), the jackrabbits are from Jupiter (his favorite planet), it's a funny silly danger-fighting superhero story that is also long enough to encourage him to actually sit through a story! Totally ordering this one. Thanks!!:)

And then we'll get Where the Wild Things Are from the library:D

My DS, age 4, asked for "books about monsters." I bought "Where the Wild Things Are" at Goodwill.

I just read the rest of the thread, and see that you're already considering this book. I can't believe we didn't own this book yet, considering DS4 is the third child. The art is great, the reading is short, about monsters ... yep, I predict he will love it.

Edited by ChrisOR

That's it! This one look perfect for him! Pancakes for breakfast (one of his favorites), Ricky gets a bike for his birthday (DS is getting one for Christmas), the jackrabbits are from Jupiter (his favorite planet), it's a funny silly danger-fighting superhero story that is also long enough to encourage him to actually sit through a story! Totally ordering this one. Thanks!!:)

And then we'll get Where the Wild Things Are from the library:D

Oh good :) My ds6 adores this series. It's the books that got him to say to me, "Go away. I'm reading." Ah, music to my ears.