Menu

Reading "program" for 3rd grade?

mindygz

I didn't want to start anything before dd8 was reading comfortably and well, but she has taken off the past two months and I would kind of like to introduce something with a bit of structure, even if that was having her read age/level appropriate classics and having discussions with me (though I might like a bit of structure for that, too). Her writing is still in the developing stage, so I don't know that I want it to be too writing intensive, though some writing would be beneficial.

What do you do or have you done in the past?

Thank you!

Depending on her reading level the Sonlight readers might be a good way to go. We just finished up the Core 2 Intermediate Readers and are starting the Core 2 Advanced Readers for my 8 year old. At the end of the last school year he was a reluctant reader and now he is flying through chapter books. Having the comprehension questions and added aids has helped me to be sure he was comprehending (and actually reading lol). The IG price for the readers is great and the books can be bought used for a good savings. These books are also great character building books, some with a more christian slant than others.

I didn't want to start anything before dd8 was reading comfortably and well, but she has taken off the past two months and I would kind of like to introduce something with a bit of structure, even if that was having her read age/level appropriate classics and having discussions with me (though I might like a bit of structure for that, too). Her writing is still in the developing stage, so I don't know that I want it to be too writing intensive, though some writing would be beneficial.

What do you do or have you done in the past?

Thank you!

Have you listened to this? http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/what-is-literary-analysis-mp3.html I think you'd find it helpful for guidance in literary discussions no matter what reading program you choose, and it might just give you the tools to go it on your own without a formal program.

I'm going to use BJU's 3rd grade reading next year. I've used 1st and 2nd grade of the program with my ds, and it's one of his favorite things to do. It is not cheap, so it is best to look for it used. The readers cover a wide variety of writing. The TE has discussion questions for each page of each story. The worktext has a great variety of activities. Here is a link.

If I didn't already own several grades of BJU and couldn't afford it, I would probably use CLE. I really like BJU for the early grades because it's fun and colorful. I will use CLE some later.

For grades 1-3, we used the CLE readers without the lightunits (workbooks). In grades 4-8, we used CLE reading with the lightunits. Look at the scope & sequence to see what CLE reading covers in each grade.

Dd 7 enjoys CLE Reading 3. I love the workbook'ish approach with the Light Units, it is inexpensive, covers comprehension, vocab, grammar, writing & a bit of Bible. A win-win if you want a formal reading curriculum.

We also read tons of living books & lit and discuss, narrate, etc.