Menu

Tapestry of Grace?

deanna1949

I haven't seen many posts here on Tapestry of Grace. I'd like to hear your opinions, pro and con. Did it work for you? Why? Why not? I've done a search, but it didn't show many hits.

I'm just just starting out with the WTM classical plan, so I have a 3rd grader who is coming late to the party, but we've got our party hats on!! ;)

Shorthand around here is TOG. Try searching that.

We use it and enjoy it very much.

My advice is to visit the TOG web site and download the sample weeks to get a feel of the program and its elements. Read some of the threads that search here produces and then come back with more questions.

There are many ways to edit or expand on the basics to produce a program that suits you. Keep that in mind. You will also need to choose a math and a science program-TOG doesn't cover that.

You need to use google to search for the short acronyms like that. You can type "TOG site:welltrainedmind.com" into the google search box, and it will show you tons and tons of posts. You can also compare programs like "TOG vs MFW site:welltrainedmind.com". I used this a LOT when researching initially (and I researched TOG a lot... was sold on it for about a month, then decided to start out with Biblioplan, which I think will be perfect for our young family at this time).

I haven't seen many posts here on Tapestry of Grace. I'd like to hear your opinions, pro and con. Did it work for you? Why? Why not? I've done a search, but it didn't show many hits.

I'm just just starting out with the WTM classical plan, so I have a 3rd grader who is coming late to the party, but we've got our party hats on!! ;)

It works for some, and doesn't for others. I just got it, had not fog, but I knew exactly what I wanted and how TOG would fill that. I didn't use large parts of TOG for a time, and still don't use key pieces (like the student pages).

But I am a person who tweaks everything they use, so TOG just gave me more to work with. :D

The best way to see if TOG will work for you is to use the 3 week sample. It is exactly like the real thing.

Heather

I tossed around ideas about switching curriculum lately (because you get an itch that there might be something better). It lasted all of two weeks. Really, for the upper grades, I don't feel like you can get much better if you want your children to think with a Christian worldview and be able to not only defend their beliefs, but really be salt and light to others also. I've done almost two years now with an UG and LG very lightly, and it really is a rigorous program - I am looking forward to the Dialectic levels.

Beth

What have you used so far? What have you liked and disliked? What are you hoping TOG will do for you?

Answer those and we might be able to tell you if it's a good fit.

Tapestry is a good fit *for our family* and your mileage may vary dependent on your needs and what you're seeking. ;)

Along with all the great input from others so far, I'd like to add some of my own thoughts. I did a TOG role call earlier this year and at least 80 families responded that they are actively using the curriculum. We do go in spurts on this board like one poster said....and I've come to understand and realize that those that are busy hs'ing don't always post because they are really focused on what they are doing. That would especially be true of the many larger families that use TOG. It was, after all, designed primarily for that very thing. (Don't be dismayed though, some of us with small families use it too....including my one dd and I.)

We have completed one year plan and are about to begin the second, and I really love what it has already done for my dd - and for me too. We have both learned so very, very much with this curriculum, and we don't even do ALL that we could do with it. But it works, it's rich and deep, challenging and eye-opening all at the same time. If you love history and want to give your dc a great foundation of history then you will love it too. I find that it works splendidly withe classical model of education and it can be combined easily with TWTM way of teaching.

PROS: It helps me stay organized by providing me with very complete lesson plans. I just have to go through each week plan and pick and choose what I will use (the buffet line that you may have already heard of....which, by the way, should never be assumed to be all necessary for every student and every family. You do choose the parts you want, not the whole.)

Another pro is the publishers that are so supportive, kind and helpful. They are completely committed to making their curriculum the best it can possibly be (to the glory of God, I might add!).

We enjoy the book choices, and the vast array of activities that are suggested on the website and with the Loom that goes with each package plan.

I cannot emphasize enough just how much my daughter has grown and learned through TOG this past year. I am convinced that God led us to it! You may be interested in knowing that I learned about TOG through this forum over a period of a couple of years before we finally took the plunge.

CONS: The worst thing is that we can't possibly do everything that is offered! And that's a real bummer because there is so much that looks wonderful to do. :lol:

Another con is that a person has to be committed to using the curriculum long-term in order to be willing to buy or obtain all of the resource books that are required. This can be overwhelming at first, but there are many ways to work this issue out. I am sad when some people assume that there is only one way to do it and they back off without checking further.

I am challenged to take the time each week to read the teacher's notes, especially this year as we go into the Dialectic level. Some mom's are really busy with part-time jobs and family responsibilities, and you really do have to set aside at least an hour each week to prep for the upcoming lessons. It is very much worth the challenge though.

A con for some families might possibly be the theological stand that TOG uses. The writers of TOG are reformed Christians (Presbyterians, I believe), and the worldview is taught from a Calvinistic viewpoint. This comes up for D & R levels mostly from what I've experienced. If you want to pass on another theological position to your children, then you'd simply need to be SURE read those TN's and be aware of what they are reading then build that into your weekly discussions. I am closer to the Arminian position, so I have had to tweak the script slightly on an occasion or two. It is not a huge deal for me, I just needed to state that it could possibly be an issue for some people.

I hope this helps!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

We used TOG for about 9 weeks before I ditched it. It was the only thing in all our years of homeschooling (we're in our 14th official year) that my kids have begged me to sell. Dc were in grades 8, 5, & K. My kids love history, but they hated TOG. I couldn't keep up with the reading of the teacher's notes each week. They were so incredibly boring to me, even though I love history. Just an amusing bit from our TOG days: There was an architecture book on the TOG list, and ds#1 read some of it. I asked him if he learned anything from it. I was surprised by his answer. He said, "Yes. I learned that architecture is incredibly boring." LOL! That shocked me, because ds#1 has always been a bookworm and will read anything. He read science encyclopedias for fun. He would read anything I got from the library and put on the bookshelf. He would read anything he found lying around. He can't sit down to breakfast or lunch without reading something, whether it's a cereal box or a piece of junk mail on the table.

We started TruthQuest after dropping TOG, and my kids liked that. Dc#1 used TQ for the rest of that school year and started online classes the next school year. Dc#2 continued with TQ until grade 8, when he started online classes. While he was using TQ, I heard many times from him things like: "I love history!" and "History is my favorite subject!" He didn't have to do much of anything with TQ except read, read, read, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. :D He learned a lot of history, since he learns easily through reading. He reads a lot of history books for fun, only now they're almost all books that were written for adults.

This is our first year using TOG. I have a LG and a D. We love it. I love that it is a buffet that I can pick and choose from. I love all the choices and that we can do everything or one thing. At first I was disappointed that there wasn't a "schedule" but I quickly realized that for a person like me who likes to tweak, it was ideal!