Menu

BJU 6th grade science

thowell

I know this is a textbook but dd10 saw it and really wants to try it. Has anyone used this that can give me a review. We like a lot of hands on and so far nothing else has lived up to our wants. We also would like a creationist science. We are using God's Design and they are just ok.

Me, Me! Me! I'll give you a review. I really enjoy this program. I know that sounds crazy for a textbook science program, but 6th grade is my favorite of the BJU science we've tried. We've used 5th-7th. I bought 8th, but decided not to use it and sold it.

If you get the Teacher's Edition and the Lab Manual, you will have lots of hands on. We typically read from the book 2-3 days/week sometimes doing demonstrations on those days too, to make it more fun. Then we have at least one lab day/week where all we do is hands on. I would say we average one lab and one demonstration/week, but some have more. I don't think we ever do less. We do science 4 days/week and that fits the schedule in the book well. The student book is very readable. I put is side by side with Abeka before I bought it and read them both. BJU was enjoyable prose that my kids and I would read willingly. Abeka was soooo dry. My thought was, I'd never read it so how could I ask my kids too.

I am going through BJU 6 for the second time this year. Dd likes it as well as ds did. They are very different in their learning styles, so this is significant.

I'd be glad to answer any more specific questions if you have them.

You need the student book, the TM, the student activity manual, I have the Teacher AM, but rarely use it. I use the tests too. I didn't have to buy much in the way of supplies, but my house is fairly well stocked with all sorts of odd things:001_huh:. There is a list in the TM of the supplies needed. I don't recommend the lab kit from HST. When I checked it before I taught the course the second time, I found it didn't have the things I was missing and had lots of things that I already had on hand or could pick up in my weekly shopping at Wal-Mart.