Menu

How do you organize your science supplies?

I have them packed (with bubble wrap) in the box they came in, and that box is stored in our food pantry on a bottom shelf.

I would love to have them in their own separate cabinet with the shelves divided between the objects (beakers on one, measuring items on another, experiment supplies (litmus paper and filters) on another, etc.)

I have a three-level plastic shelving unit from Lowes in my sunroom/schoolroom for my science supplies. It's not pretty, but works well. I have beakers, test tubes, scales, alcohol burner, miscellaneous items that I use a kitchen utensil container to sort, along with other small things on the top shelf. On he second shelf I have kits and such in boxes. My microscopes and other more expensive items are on the bottom shelf (where someone can't knock them off!).

But I do sort them by book. I have a box of stuff for Zoo 3, one for Physical Science and another for Chemistry. Oh and another for stuff that doesn't need to be in any other box. May not be the best idea, but as long as I grab the right box, I can always find what I'm looking for.

For the Sonlight experiments supplies I keep them in the boxes they come in. For other experiments (such as TOPS) I store them as kits in some plastic containers that I got from Walmart. They are small and stack-able and work very well. They stay on bookshelves, preferably with the year that they correlate with. Our microscope is from Sonlight as well and that is stored in the bag that Sonlight sells. It stays in our library when it isn't in use. I keep extra supplies in the stack-able boxes as well.

I have had to get rid of a lot of the cheaper supplies that I can go out and buy again to make this work but I am happy with where we are right now. It is nice and streamlined and that makes me :001_smile:.

Oh my word, is there such a thing as organization because dh has never heard of this?

I do keep the microscope and slides on my side of the closet so he and the kids have to ask. I also have a few shelves on the main bookcase devoted to just our science books. The boys keep their current texts in their crates under their desks.

We have enough chemistry equipment to fill 2-36"x72" banquet tables...this does not include the chemicals of which there are approximately 250 bottles... a prep school with a huge lab was going bankrupt and we purchased for 90% below retail. We've got more than I know what to do with. Dh has boxes and boxes, tubs and more tubs, plus one old china cupboard full all in the basement. I don't know how he finds anything. I just send him for what we need and he eventually finds it!

I'd love to have some organization to this. If you've ever seen the "Flubber" movie with Robin Williams, imagine that house, the lab, that guy etc. and me trying to talk seriously with Mr. I'm trying to blow myself up.

Organization! HAH...chaos shall reign.

Faith

Oh my word, is there such a thing as organization because dh has never heard of this?

I do keep the microscope and slides on my side of the closet so he and the kids have to ask. I also have a few shelves on the main bookcase devoted to just our science books. The boys keep their current texts in their crates under their desks.

We have enough chemistry equipment to fill 2-36"x72" banquet tables...this does not include the chemicals of which there are approximately 250 bottles... a prep school with a huge lab was going bankrupt and we purchased for 90% below retail. We've got more than I know what to do with. Dh has boxes and boxes, tubs and more tubs, plus one old china cupboard full all in the basement. I don't know how he finds anything. I just send him for what we need and he eventually finds it!

I'd love to have some organization to this. If you've ever seen the "Flubber" movie with Robin Williams, imagine that house, the lab, that guy etc. and me trying to talk seriously with Mr. I'm trying to blow myself up.

Organization! HAH...chaos shall reign.

Faith

:lol:Okay, Faith! You win hands-down on the amount of science supplies floating around.:D We don't tend to follow just one area of science during the year, so ideally I would like to send Swimmer Dude to the cabinet and have him find what he needs. I think I am envisioning the same thing Tigersgrowl is describing. Maybe I will try some inexpensive plastic kitchen containers that I can label and that will keep the dust out. Thanks everyone for your help. When I am done with science, it will be on to the art supplies. We are changing our homeschooling areas around in the house, so all is in chaos.