Menu

Adult front tooth in DD taking FOREVER to come!!

My DD lost her front tooth in Aug. of 2009 (she was almost 9). There is no adult tooth that has grown in yet. Doesn't even look like it is trying to come in. She has had three x-rays and there is an adult front tooth there, but why is it not coming down??? We are going back to the dentist on Tuesday for another xray to compare with the others and see if it is moving at all.

Has anyone experienced this themselves or with your children?

I am scared her tooth will never grow. She was late getting her teeth. She didn't get her first tooth until 14 months old. Oh yeah, this was also her first ever lost tooth.

Thanks for any insight!!:bigear:

I think I am more worried, but we will see how he responds on Tuesday. I can expect it to take some months, but 15 months and no trace of a tooth coming down:001_huh:?? Crazy!

It is hard for my daughter because her mouth/teeth look all messed up. There are missing teeth/gaps, some teeth only grown half way and two of her teeth( the teeth next to her two front) are coming out of her gum. I feel soooooo bad for her.

I remember thinking how adorable my daughter looked missing her two front teeth. More than 12 months later, I was *really* ready to see some teeth in the kid's mouth :D. We could also see them in x-rays. It took about 14 months for my daughter's teeth to arrive. She also has a mess in her mouth with severe crowding and a terrible overbite. We are already dealing with orthodontic treatment :glare:.

I remember thinking how adorable my daughter looked missing her two front teeth. More than 12 months later, I was *really* ready to see some teeth in the kid's mouth :D. We could also see them in x-rays. It took about 14 months for my daughter's teeth to arrive. She also has a mess in her mouth with severe crowding and a terrible overbite. We are already dealing with orthodontic treatment :glare:.

Not good, but I am at least glad to hear this from someone else, lol! We should already be starting to put $$$ aside for the orthodontic care we KNOW she will need:glare:.

What treatment is your daughter getting? It seems they do things very differently with kids these days regarding orthodontic care. When I had braces, it was a simple thing. Get them put on, go back for adjustments and off in 2 years.

What treatment is your daughter getting? It seems they do things very differently with kids these days regarding orthodontic care. When I had braces, it was a simple thing. Get them put on, go back for adjustments and off in 2 years.

So far, she's just had a consultation and 3 baby teeth pulled to allow room for some adult teeth to come in. We have a recheck in December to see how things are coming along after extractions. My son is already in phase II of his orthodontic treatment. They've fixed his crossbite, which was causing serious problems, including a chipped tooth! We're hoping we still have a little more time before she starts due to the $$$ :tongue_smilie:.

My son had a front tooth that took over a year to come in. We were just taking him in for an exam by the dentist when..what came peeping through?

My husband also had a front tooth that also took a long time when he was a boy. He had x-rays and it was right there. The dentist trimmed a bit of the gum off (Owie!) and the tooth came right in. The dentist told him either the gum was 'too tough' and trimming make it easier or the stimulation from the trimming would get the tooth to come in. Either way, it worked and the tooth came right in.

When I was a kid, my first molar on the bottom fell out and it took a very long time for it to come back in. When the tooth did come in, there was no longer room for it. It came in sideways, pointing under my tongue instead. It was pulled (my parents couldn't afford braces) and I never really thought about it again.

The odd thing is....my dentist/orthodontist said it ended up being a good thing. My mouth was overcrowded as it was and the missing tooth is the only thing that keep my teeth in a decent row. I had Invisalign as an adult to straighten them up as the tipped to that empty spot a bit (the Invisalign was mainly for my top teeth), but aside from that I have always had a decent bite. Ironic that the one thing my parents did because they couldn't afford braces....is what made it possible for me to not really need them.

The last baby tooth that I lost was my right front tooth, at age 10. The adult tooth didn't come in until almost a year later. Then, I got x-rays and the dentist discovered that I had an EXTRA adult front tooth! So they pulled the one that had taken "forever" to grow in, and I had to wait several more months for my final front tooth.

My son had this...it would take at least 6-9 mos. for each of his teeth to grow in. By the time he was 10, he'd only lost 5-6 and grown in 3.

Shortly before he turned 11, he was diagnosed with celiac, which had manifested over 5 years before but no one knew. It was keeping him from absorbing the necessary nutrients to go through the process of growing teeth to the point that they would come in. After we got his diet worked out, he started growing teeth like crazy - literally, they would loosen and fall out within a day or two, and would start growing in immediately. He lost and grew in 11 teeth in less than a year. (Oy!)

Anyway - it's something I wouldn't have even thought of, but it turned out it was all dietary. If she shows any other signs of dietary reactions (slow growth, lack of focus at random times, muscle or skin pains that are unexplained, abdominal upset, weak enamel), you might want to check that out. I'm not saying it's because of that, but I can honestly say I wish I'd thought to ask sooner, like when I was wondering why he didn't grow teeth...it would have saved him a lot of medical trouble.

My dd8 has the same thing going on. For some reason, those two top front teeth have taken forever to come in! Finally, just in the last couple of weeks, one of them has poked through. I don't know how many months it's been since she lost the baby teeth, but these have taken way way longer than her others.

My oldest ds had the same problem AndyJoy did - he had an extra front tooth up in the gum that had to be extracted, and it took a long time for the second one to descend, but it finally did.

My front teeth took forever to come in, so the dentist just slit the gum, and they were in the next week.

My ds had two extra front teeth, but they were undeveloped, and we got them taken out after his permanent teeth came in.

I would also check for celiac--the previous poster makes a good point about it delaying tooth development.

I'm sure your dentist will be able to help. :grouphug:

Are you sure there's not an extra front tooth up there holding it back? Sometimes they are hard to see even on an xray. We got a second opinion from a very good dentist who didn't see the second tooth our ped dentist saw, but it was there. Son had to have surgery to have it out, then his front tooth came down immediately.

Edited by Mejane

Wow! Thanks for all of your stories and experiences!! I am so glad to know that everything will most likely be ok :grouphug:.

The thing about celiac is very interesting. I am going to look into it more. My daughter is vegetarian and a very picky eater, so I was thinking maybe she is deficient in something. :confused:

Also, about the gums. I wonder if her gum is too tough for her tooth to break through. Hmmmmm....

Lots to talk with the dentist about.

Thanks so much everyone!

My DD's front tooth fell out last Sept. and it still hasn't grown in either. Her identical sister has not lost any teeth. Both of their x-rays show their adult teeth in about the same spot so the dentist thinks something may have caused the one twin to lose her tooth early. Did your DD have any trauma? My DD didn't have any accidents around her mouth that we remember but she is the one with CP so she has been more accident prone than her sister. The dentist is speculating that it may have been something that seemed minor but just jostled the tooth wrong. Or it may have happened months or years before she actually lost it. There are no signs that the tooth is coming in at all! I bet when her sister loses the tooth, both of them will probably get the adult tooth at about the same time.

My DD's front tooth fell out last Sept. and it still hasn't grown in either. Her identical sister has not lost any teeth. Both of their x-rays show their adult teeth in about the same spot so the dentist thinks something may have caused the one twin to lose her tooth early. Did your DD have any trauma? My DD didn't have any accidents around her mouth that we remember but she is the one with CP so she has been more accident prone than her sister. The dentist is speculating that it may have been something that seemed minor but just jostled the tooth wrong. Or it may have happened months or years before she actually lost it. There are no signs that the tooth is coming in at all! I bet when her sister loses the tooth, both of them will probably get the adult tooth at about the same time.

That's interesting! Though my DD didn't lose the teeth earlier than normal (one right after the other within a few weeks), she did have an accident as a preschooler in which she fell mouth-first onto the edge of an end table. They weren't knocked loose at the time, but there was bleeding and bruising on her gums, so perhaps that had something to do with her permanent teeth not erupting for so long--even though it happened several years earlier.

Edited by WordGirl

One of my ds's eye teeth was not coming in at all. He ended up having the gum cut and a gold chain tied around it and attached to another tooth. The dentist would tighten the chain every so often to pull the tooth down. My ds does not do well with pain but this procedure didn't really bother him. We all called it medieval dentistry. :lol:

I am sure there are a variety of ways to help the tooth come in if the dentist thinks it's taking too long. Most will probably not seem as crazy as what my ds had to do.

I don't mean to scare you, but I think you might talk to a dentist about this. I had a front tooth knocked out at age 4, and I was toothless until age 8. I needed to have the gum cut for the tooth to finally come in. When it was cut, the tooth descended in a matter of days. :tongue_smilie:

Sorry for your trouble!

My little sister for some reason had two rotten bad teeth at the age of 3, and she had to have them pulled out. She is turning six this Tuesday and her teeth still have not grown. She lost one of her teeth last month and that one has grown in just fine.

IT's wierd, but out dentist isn't so worried, she is still young.