Menu

What do you get for a...

41-year old man with no children who owns his own house? He has the money to buy whatever he wants for himself. He lives in a metropolitan area and is very urban.

Last year I bought him remote controlled cars. A few years ago he got remote controlled airplanes that he crashed.

Food. Home cooked, if possible.

I has to be something I can have shipped to him.

I've looked at Omaha and Harry & David. Nothing much looked like it would hit home.

Why isn't there a website that will let one plug in age, sex, location, interest, etc., and pop out the perfect link?

I've looked at Omaha and Harry & David. Nothing much looked like it would hit home.

Why isn't there a website that will let one plug in age, sex, location, interest, etc., and pop out the perfect link?

Order bread from Great Harvest?

Send nifty spice mixes from Penzey's?

Call a bakery local to him and arrange for a box of goodies or some bread? Or how about a local restaurant?

Would a _____ of the Month club work?

You can usually order just a single month or a couple of months, if the whole year isn't in your budget. For example, a couple of years ago I got my husband three months (Jan, Mar, and May) of the Cheese of the Month club. I know they have chocolate of month clubs and wine of the month clubs also.

Would a _____ of the Month club work?

You can usually order just a single month or a couple of months, if the whole year isn't in your budget. For example, a couple of years ago I got my husband three months (Jan, Mar, and May) of the Cheese of the Month club. I know they have chocolate of month clubs and wine of the month clubs also.

I'll check into the cheese of the month. He might like that.

Tickets to a play? Orchestra performance? Sporting event? Gift card to a restaurant?

I never realized how boring he really is. Maybe a restaurant. But since he lives so far away I'm not sure what is where he is.

I would knit him a very manly man scarf, out of a superbulky, luxurious yarn, in a fat rib, very simple, probably deep brown, one that just reeks of coziness.

Penzey's would be great if there's no time for that.

Willams Sonoma would be pretty good, too. Lots of unusual kitchen gadgets of good quality there.

He is in So. Cal. so no scarf for him. I've got the Penzys catalog. I might start there and then head over to Williams Sonoma.

Link for you. :lol:

Would he like to jazz up his walls? Here's our contemporary selection.

Ah, I should rephrase that. I'm not sure what is where he is that he likes or goes to.

We are not close. The only time we have contact is once a year at Christmas. We exchange gifts and one of us will call the other for an awkward conversation.

Ah, I should rephrase that. I'm not sure what is where he is that he likes or goes to.

We are not close. The only time we have contact is once a year at Christmas. We exchange gifts and one of us will call the other for an awkward conversation.

Ah, then are you open for advice or is this a "what should I buy?" only thread? [Forging ahead with the advice.] Since the phone conversation is awkward already, why not just come out and say, "What do you think about foregoing this tradition of buying each other a gift each year and perhaps just send a photo and card or letter telling about our year? I love keeping in contact with you, with family, and it's important that we not lose touch."

Does he drink coffee? A Peet's gift card (coffee by mail) or a Starbucks card might work.

Or if he cooks, a g.c. for Penzey's Spices.

I like the idea of calling him and saying "Let's just exchange cards and photos," too. He might be just as relieved to not have to figure out what to get you as you would be to not puzzle over him. :D

Cat

Ah, then are you open for advice or is this a "what should I buy?" only thread? [Forging ahead with the advice.] Since the phone conversation is awkward already, why not just come out and say, "What do you think about foregoing this tradition of buying each other a gift each year and perhaps just send a photo and card or letter telling about our year? I love keeping in contact with you, with family, and it's important that we not lose touch."

Oh, believe me I've tried. Simple email contact is not reciprocated. His answer is "Some siblings are just not close." :001_huh:

Sadly, He does not keep in close contact with our parents either. There will be several months between contact then mom finally breaks down and calls him.

It is difficult to keep close ties with someone who only looks upon it as a duty. I do send him photos. Once every couple of years I try to reach out. Hopefully one day he will come around. In the meantime I'll continue the search for a non-lame Christmas gift.

Does he drink coffee? A Peet's gift card (coffee by mail) or a Starbucks card might work.

Or if he cooks, a g.c. for Penzey's Spices.

I like the idea of calling him and saying "Let's just exchange cards and photos," too. He might be just as relieved to not have to figure out what to get you as you would be to not puzzle over him. :D

Cat

I'm fairly certain that once he feels the obligation to send a gift is gone that will be the end of what little relationship we have.

I'm fairly certain that once he feels the obligation to send a gift is gone that will be the end of what little relationship we have.

:grouphug:

That stinks. I am sorry. I'd assumed it was a cousin or uncle. A brother (right?) that's a little different. Good for you for being willing to maintain the bit of a relationship you've got in the way that seems most comfortable for him.

Cat

eharmony membership? *runs*

My husband and I met through eHarmony. Best move we ever made. :001_wub:

BUT, does the man in question WANT to be married (to a wife)? Not all 40-something bachelors WANT to be married, ya know.

FWIW, I'd get him some cheese and crackers. Most men like cheese.

Edited by Sahamamama

:grouphug:

That stinks. I am sorry. I'd assumed it was a cousin or uncle. A brother (right?) that's a little different. Good for you for being willing to maintain the bit of a relationship you've got in the way that seems most comfortable for him.

Cat

Yup, my one and only sibling.

I don't know where we went wrong with him.

Williams Sonoma has some gorgeous things.

Here are some that I have drooled over but not bought:

Cherry salad bowl and individual servers from Vermont

Cuisineart mini-prep (actually, this is on sale at Amazon for about 2/3 off right now)

Herb set--a little cutting board, a small knife, and a pair of garden scissors for snipping

Snowy Village cakelet pan

Gingerbread House bundt cake pan (What IS it about molds???)

Olive wood tasting spoon and rest.

And speaking of olive wood, the salt bowl with the lid that turns away for opening. Eventually I'm going to break down and get that one.

They also have a stunning collection of salt and/or pepper mills, and some great cookbooks.

Are you part Danish? The Ableskiver pan is authentic and couldn't be more topical.

And peppermint bark is such a treat--they have the best.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Try these:

http://www.findgift.com/?CID=10009&PID=7&AID=GiftIdeas&VID=6&SID=12&ppc_kw=gift%20finder&ppc_type=1

and

http://www.gifts.com/?sid=google:GEN_gift%20finder:P&gclid=CKahwoSyv6UCFUXu7QodnUADYQ

My husband and I met through eHarmony. Best move we ever made. :001_wub:

BUT, does the man in question WANT to be married (to a wife)? Not all 40-something bachelors WANT to be married, ya know.

FWIW, I'd get him some cheese and crackers. Most men like cheese.

Wolf and I met through a telephone dateline. :D