Menu

Are there women in fraternities?

I was in Alpha Psi Omega too! My degree is in theatrical design (cause that's dead useful) and English (slightly more practical, but not by much).

Your design degree can go along with mine in acting. :lol:

I was a founding member of our chapter and president and/or business manager for several years.

I've been a proud brother of APO for 20 years now-I'm currently a faculty adviser for a petitioning group, as well as a life member and torchbearer.

It all comes down to reputation. At the time APO went co-ed, "Sisters" in a fraternity had a specific meaning on many college campuses-specifically, little sisters were girls who hung around the fraternity house and were available to the brothers for sex. The term "Brothers" was applied to women in APO to make it clear that this wasn't the case here. At this point, it's simply tradition.

The same is true in many formerly all-male professional fraternities, too.

I've been a proud brother of APO for 20 years now-I'm currently a faculty adviser for a petitioning group, as well as a life member and torchbearer.

It all comes down to reputation. At the time APO went co-ed, "Sisters" in a fraternity had a specific meaning on many college campuses-specifically, little sisters were girls who hung around the fraternity house and were available to the brothers for sex. The term "Brothers" was applied to women in APO to make it clear that this wasn't the case here. At this point, it's simply tradition.

The same is true in many formerly all-male professional fraternities, too.

Interesting. I guess that I'm glad that she's a "little brother" then!

Alpha Phi Omega has 'little brothers' regardless of gender. It's a co-ed service fraternity. Was for men but eventually became co-ed. My 'big brother' when I pledged was a girl. My 'little brother' was a girl. It's just a term in the fraternity. It's not a social fraternity, they do service in the community.

Same here, except I had two bigs, since there were more actives willing to take littles than there were pledges. Plus, you could split the cost! :-)