Menu

Cambridge latin

Well, it is for me not for dc, and I want to learn to read Latin rather than speak it. I am not clever enough to do well with Wheelocks.

I enjoyed both Minimus books (which I brought for the dc who also enjoyed them) also by Cambridge, and thought I would like to carry on with Cambridge.

What do I need to buy for Cambridge latin, text books, teacher books, e-learning resource, audio CD, self teaching guides.....agggghhhhh.....

Anyone help here?

Thank you

Willow.

Willow,

I bought the TM, the audio CD, the student workbook and the student text.

There are several components that you can only buy in the UK, at least at the time I bought this summer. The self teaching guides and the DVD's are two of those components.

Your also going to want to contact them ahead of time and give them proof that you are a teacher or they won't ship the TM. PM me and I will get you the contact information of the gal I worked with.

Heather

Thank you so much Heather, but part of the reason I am asking now is that in January I will be visiting the UK, and I thought I would be able to pick the books up when I was over there.

I did not know about the teacher bit, but my Auntie is a UK teacher so that should be OK. She actually retired last year but I am sure she will still have the contacts.

How have you found Cambridge Latin is to use? Any hints or tips. :)

I have purchased most of the material either used at this forum or at Alibris on-line else I buy them new at Rainbow Resources. The latest edition is the 4th and we use the North American editions - not the UK ones.

My boys are now in Book 4 and so far we've only used the student text, teacher's edition, and the audio tapes. My boys really enjoy the story-line in the book & listening to it "theaterical rendered" on the audio-CD is a hit here, too!

We also purchase a year subscription to the online activities for $15 a year - a great deal as it has lots of great review games & practice that correlates exactly with each lesson.

http://www.cambridgescp.com

I also use the yahoo group for a lot - they're really nice about answering any questions.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CambridgeLatin/

Myra

Thank you so much Heather, but part of the reason I am asking now is that in January I will be visiting the UK, and I thought I would be able to pick the books up when I was over there.

I did not know about the teacher bit, but my Auntie is a UK teacher so that should be OK. She actually retired last year but I am sure she will still have the contacts.

How have you found Cambridge Latin is to use? Any hints or tips. :)

I am not sure they are as strict about that in the UK, I bought from Cambridge Press NY.

We actually start next week, so I too will be watching for advice. :D

Heather

• 6 months later...
I'm planning to use this with my daughter next year, so I thought I'd search this forum for some feedback on the program, as it's not one of the commonly mentioned ones...

Anyone who has used this -- or the OP who just finished using it -- able to comment on strengths or weaknesses of this program?

Thanks!

Debbie

I liked it a whole lot better than Wheelock. Things stuck in my kids' heads better with the readings in Cambridge. My kids couldn't even comprehend Wheelock.

In response to the original question (in case anyone still cared): we did Cambridge with only the student book. I have a couple of the workbooks, but haven't used them. Back when the online portion was free, that was fairly useful, but I never got around to subscribing once they started charging.

But my kids only made it through book 2 before they were sidetracked by Spanish.

Thanks -- this is encouraging! Do you have any sense of how each 'book' corresponds to a high school credit?

Year 1--Units 1 and 2

Year 2--Unit 3

Year 3--Unit 4

There is a document somewhere on the North American website that says this but it takes a bit of mucking about to find it.

I'm planning to use this with my daughter next year, so I thought I'd search this forum for some feedback on the program, as it's not one of the commonly mentioned ones...

Anyone who has used this -- or the OP who just finished using it -- able to comment on strengths or weaknesses of this program?

Thanks!

Debbie

Debbie,

As a teacher I found it difficult to follow. I felt you needed to know Latin to teach from their TM. I had some from Lively Latin, but still often found myself saying, "What was that?" In the end we are using First Form as our main learning program, and then Cambridge for fun Friday thing, which is working very well.

Heather

Year 1--Units 1 and 2

Year 2--Unit 3

Year 3--Unit 4

This was also the credit value given by my daughter's out of the home Latin instructor. She was well prepared after completing the series in three years for AP Latin as her fourth year of Latin study.

Regards,

Kareni

i actually took this course in a public high school back in the seventies. i am starting it with dd #3 in july. i loved it and still remember a lot all these years later. our latin teacher took us to pompeii and we visited caecilius' house. it was an amazing thing to see the house and town we'd been learning about for three years actually existed.

the course took intentional applied work after the first unit (at least for me). one of things is that it is possible to do it as an online course with a UK latin tutor, so we are starting off just us, but in the back of my mind if it simply gets too hard for us to do along with everything else, i'll pay for the level 4 one on line.

we are starting off with the audio tape, students text and workbook and teacher's guide, because mostly i like teacher's guides; it makes it a bit easier for me. i think i will add the online stuff, too.

it was one of my favourite courses ever.

hth,

ann

Hi,

I've used Cambridge for my homeschool classes for the last 8 years, and I think I've purchased everything Cambridge under the sun. If you decide to go the that route, here are some resources for you:

http://www.cambridgelatin.org/resource.html

The North American Cambridge Classics Project (NACCP) has the Independent Learner's Manuals, and you can save yourself the hassle of getting them in the UK. Be warned, the Independent Learner's Manuals correspond to the UK edition, which is not the same as the North American Edition. Page numbers will be off, etc.

A lot of the catalog items are designed for teachers with a large number of students, so the pricing might be more than you want to pay. I really do like the vocab puzzles and CLC pencils and t-shirts.

http://www.cambridgescp.com/Lpage.php?p=clc^oa_intro^intro

This site hosts the games that correspond to the textbooks. The activities are really great reinforcement, but they also correspond to the UK version. I think they are putting out a version of games that go w/the North American edition, but my students use the UK games without any problems. (If you want just be one of my 'students' and save money on the membership to the site, let me know).

I think it costs $10/year for teachers to join + $2/student with a minimum of 10 students, but I can't remember if there's a homeschool discount or not.

(Anyone who wants to purchase a subscription as one of my 'students' and just pay $2 for the year can just contact me privately).

DVD:

DO NOT BUY THE DVD IN ENGLAND IF YOU WANT TO USE IT IN THE US. They have installed some sort of ip address tracking thing to prevent it from functioning outside the European Union and the UK DVD will not work in the US without MAJOR technical hassle...it involves installing an ip address masking program on your system, and things just go downhill from there.

If you want to by the DVD, you need to get the North American edition. Cambridge is one of the publishers attending the American Classical League convention next week. One of their presentations has to do with the new DVD for North America.

You might also consider joining the CambridgeLatin yahoo group. Lots of Latin teachers and homeschooling parents hang out there.

Yesterday afternoon I sent an e-mail to Cambridge Press, explaining that I gladly would provide "certification" (required, as per website) if I had any. Explained that the state of Texas requires neither registration nor certification of any kind. In case it would do any good, I provided my list of colleges and degrees. I'm sure hoping that somebody will write back with a positive attitude! I prefer the Cambridge program over others that I have seen, and really hope to use it next year.

Your also going to want to contact them ahead of time and give them proof that you are a teacher or they won't ship the TM. PM me and I will get you the contact information of the gal I worked with.

Heather

• 2 weeks later...

Cambridge never displayed the courtesy to answer my e-mail. So much for that avenue.

I bought TM, textbook, and workbook from Rainbow Resources. Received all quickly. There are sufficient free support materials online that I don't think I need anything else.

I always have had some trouble with Cambridge Press - I'd eventually get my order but it always took several phone calls and follow-up letters! But they were courteous each time....hmmmmm..

I'm being forward to mention that I have a 4th edition - TE - stage 2 manual for sale - $30 - pm or email me if interested.

Myra

mainly because foreign languages are <ahem> not my best subject.:D

She has finished Units 1&2; took the Nat'l Latin Exam four stages before finishing Unit 2 and passed Level I magna cum laude (not the top rank but not the bottom one either). Next year we plan for her to finish Unit 3 (anyone have it for sale?) before taking the Level II exam.

The teacher's manual had interested extensions on the cultural stuff which she enjoyed but wasn't otherwise really of use to two people who didn't know Latin to start.

She uses the student text, the workbook, and the on-line subscription (as said before, it's only about $15 and she has enjoyed using it). We tried working with me as the "teacher" but concluded before ending Unit 1 that all I was doing was slowing her down because she grasped things much better than I did.

One thing I think has helped her a good deal is that she completed Analytical Grammar so has a firm grammar foundation. I use the English language well (thanks, Mom!) but Florida in the '70's was not rigorous in grammar eduation and I never even saw sentance diagramming until we started homeschooling. She can make connections with Latin grammar that totally elude me.

She likes the stories and continues to be interested in finding out what happens to the characters so I think it is really a good curriculum for self-teaching. The only thing I will say is have another Latin grammar of some sort. We have "The Idiot's Guide to Learning Latin," but I don't think it matters so much what it is as that you have another way to explain specific grammar points that you have difficulty with. Let's face it, one of the great things about a teacher is getting things explained more than one way. There are simply times with any curriculum that it helps to have something explained another way.

Sara

• 2 weeks later...
Year 1--Units 1 and 2

Year 2--Unit 3

Year 3--Unit 4

There is a document somewhere on the North American website that says this but it takes a bit of mucking about to find it.

I searched without success for that info! Thanks for sharing, as we were most curious about scheduling the materials. DH and I have studied Unit 1, and agree that it looks like a one-semester course. (for high school, I mean)

If this helps anybody, MODG sells lesson plans for Unit 1. I bought mine through Emmanuel Books.

The schools around us do Unit 1 over one year -- or even over two. I think they spend a lot of time on word roots to fill out the year.

My take on it was that Unit 1 and only part of Unit 2 would make a year. I think completing both in one year might be rushed.