Menu

Grammar Island Copyright Date

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

If you own the Grammar Island Teacher Manual, what is the copyright date? The website has changed since I ordered it (about a week ago) and now the Grammar Island Basic set says Grammar Island 2nd Edition and comes with both the Teacher Manual and Student book:confused: The catalog that came with my order says that the Basic set comes with the Teacher Manual and Student book so I'm wondering if they forgot to change the website and didn't realize it until I ordered so I got the set without the Student Book (at $120 instead of $150). On my title page January 2010 is stamped in the water and the copyright date on the opposite side is 2002 so I'm thinking it's the new one but am not sure because it doesn't say 2nd Edition anyway. I'm going to call but they aren't open today so I'm calling out to the hive;) I really wish they had samples of the teacher manual online (if I'm missing them please post a link) because I'd love to see the difference between the editions. I think I'll buy the GI Student Book when I place my next order but want to make sure I actually have the new teacher edition before I do that.

As you can probably tell from my babbling, I need to go make a latte:lol:

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Thanks! Did you also get the student book? I'm going to be :mad: if they sent me the old one. It would be just my luck (not that I believe in luck) to get the very last 1st Edition :001_huh:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Did you pay $120 or $150?

I paid $120

ETA that when I ordered a little over a week ago it was $120 for the Basic package, which was minus the Student Book. Now it's $150 for the Basic Package, which includes the student book and says they are both 2nd Edition. The complete package includes both the teacher and student but doesn't say 2nd Edition.

From what I recall Grammar Town was recently revamped to look more like Grammar ISland - full color and lots more teacher prompts. So perhaps they didn't do much to Grammar Island and just updated the copyright date to 2010? I would definitely give them a call. They are good about clearing up these matters.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Thanks. I will call but I'm thinking they probably won't be open again until Monday. I called today to see if they had a message saying when they would be closed but it just rang.

The font in the GI TM I have is a little different than the sample they have online (easier to read) so I'm hopeful it wasn't a true 2nd Edition but an update and I have the most recent version because I already put book protector on the copy they sent me so there's no returning it. I don't mind paying $30 for the Student Book if it's needed because that's the price difference as long as I have the newest edition. LOL, that is what I get for buying it before I need it so I can preview it.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

They are coming out with a 2nd Edition of Grammar Island. I is similar to the 2nd Edition of Grammar Town in that the changes make it not recommended for use without the Student Book. It will be available for shipping around a week from Monday.

ETA (now that I'm off my phone and no longer thumb typing, LOL) that if anyone wants the older Grammar Island Teacher Manual so you don't have to also buy the student book I'd call ASAP to see if they have more copies. I also may be selling my copy as I wasn't able to return it because I put the soft cover book protector on it (like clear contact paper, it helps a lot with wear). They let me order the 2nd Edition Grammar Island books for a discount (they were so nice!) so I'll sell whichever I don't want to keep. If anyone is interested in me comparing the editions let me know and I'll do so once they arrive.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

OK, let me see if I understand. I have the TE's for the three lower levels, that have the student book in the front. Do I understand correctly that a new TE is out that could be added to the student books to make them more accessible? (I just bought Island level about a week ago too and had no idea that a new edition was coming out or I would have waited.) Or would you have to buy a whole new set?

Edited by melmichigan

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
OK, let me see if I understand. I have the TE's for the three lower levels, that have the student book in the front. Do I understand correctly that a new TE is out that could be added to the student books to make them more accessible? (I just bought Island level about a week ago too and had no idea that a new edition was coming out or I would have waited.) Or would you have to buy a whole new set?

The teacher Editions for the 2 lower levels (Island and Town) have been redone so that there is more for the parent but also makes the student book necessary. The Island level was just revised but the Town level has been revised for at least a little while. I asked if the Voyage level would be revised in this manner and they didn't know. So far just the Grammar books have been revised like this and I don't think they were planning on doing it to the other books, at least not right now. He did say he thought Caesar's English would be revised in the near future but don't know if it would make the student book necessary.

Give them a call on Monday. I wasn't able to return my GI Teacher Manual because I had put book protector on it so they let me buy the 2nd Edition Student Book and Teacher Manual (because you need both of the 2nd Edition) for a discount. I don't know if the previous student book would be compatible with the new edition. I would guess it depends on whether he rewrote the text or just the teacher notes. The most you would have to buy would be the Grammar books as nothing else has changed.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I'd definitely like to know what the differences are as I just bought mine as well (and received old version last week). Thanks!

I will do so but it will probably be a couple of week before I get them because they don't expect them to be ready to ship until a week from tomorrow. If you think you might want to exchange the old you just got for the new you might need to call sooner.