Menu

Share a funny Thanksgiving story!

One Thanksgiving, after we were all seated and eating, one of DH's sister said to another sister:

SIL #1: "Hey! I thought you were bringing sweet potatoes?"

SIL # 2 answered: "Oh, yeah. Hand me my purse." Someone gave her the purse and she pulled out a huge can of yams and handed them to SIL #1.

SIL #1 stared at the can, because she was expecting a sweet potato casserole or whipped or mashed or something! "What am I supposed to do with these?"

SIL #2: "Well, if you want them hot, I suppose you could heat them up in the microwave. They're room temperature right now."

I was trying not to choke on my food while laughing. IF we want them hot? No straight out of the can is fine!!!

:lol:

Any other good stories? :bigear:

Early in our marriage we had two memorable ones.

One year I couldn't find the bag w/the giblets in it so assumed that it was just left out. Wrong! Once the paper bag started to smell, we found them.

Another year our turkey was BAD. I didn't mess it up, it was just rank. I think we just ate all the go-withs that year.

My bil is known for his sense of humor... We have a family joke that once a year he pulls out his joke (it goes over, because he's so horrible at telling them). One year our gramma had come to dinner at my sister's house. She can get a little persnickety about table settings and was having the kids reset all the silver. Well, there was one of those moments of silence, the unintended kind, and from the kitchen you hear bil, "She's such a bossy cow!"

The silence continued...

and continued...

Until Gramma, chewing on her lips darts her eyes towards the kitchen, "Oh, Kyle, that was your joke for this year?" And bursts out laughing.

It was priceless.

Somewhat adult humor warning:

My mother and father were married in early January. On the preceding Thanksgiving, my grandmother pulled the turkey neck out of the turkey, held it up, and said, "See what you're in for?" Then she and my mother's aunt died laughing. My mother was mortified.

I think of it every time I take the neck out of the bird ... :blush::eek:

I think of it every time I take the neck out of the bird ... :blush::eek:

Gotta love Grandma. :D

My mom once put the pumpkin pie on the stove to cool, then turned on the burner to make tea, not realizing she had turned the burner on under the pie. About five minutes later, the pie exploded. There was pumpkin all over the kitchen - on the walls, the ceiling... what a mess. It wasn't funny at the time, but it was later.

Last year, a relative hosted a big Thanksgiving dinner in a fancy restaurant. There were 20 of us, and it took forever to even place our order, so my kids were getting really really hungry. Eventually (what seemed like hours later) everyone was served — except 7 yo DD, who'd ordered chicken nuggets instead of something on the special T-day menu. She politely tapped the waiter and asked if she could please have her food, too. Five minutes later, I flagged down another waiter and asked where DD's food was. Five minutes after that I flagged down another waiter, who said he'd get our waiter, but no one ever came back. Finally, DD turns over the paper she'd been doodling on for the last hour and writes on the back, in giant letters, "CHIKIN!" and proceeds to hold the sign over her head. :lol:

It worked, too. :D

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

This year it was just my immediate family. I planned all the traditional things that we all love. One of our favorites that we look forward to all year is what I call cornbread casserole or "spoon pudding". As we ate, I sensed a strong banana flavor in my cornbread casserole...then my dh asks me what he was tasting in said casserole. Hmmm. Recipe calls for a box of Jiffy cornbread...and I picked up Jiffy banana bread!:tongue_smilie: I apparently can't see to read anymore! Not quite the flavor I was going for. I'll try it again for Christmas since I messed it up this year!:lol:

Last year, a relative hosted a big Thanksgiving dinner in a fancy restaurant. There were 20 of us, and it took forever to even place our order, so my kids were getting really really hungry. Eventually (what seemed like hours later) everyone was served — except 7 yo DD, who'd ordered chicken nuggets instead of something on the special T-day menu. She politely tapped the waiter and asked if she could please have her food, too. Five minutes later, I flagged down another waiter and asked where DD's food was. Five minutes after that I flagged down another waiter, who said he'd get our waiter, but no one ever came back. Finally, DD turns over the paper she'd been doodling on for the last hour and writes on the back, in giant letters, "CHIKIN!" and proceeds to hold the sign over her head. :lol:

It worked, too. :D

Jackie

:lol::lol::lol:

This year it was just my immediate family. I planned all the traditional things that we all love. One of our favorites that we look forward to all year is what I call cornbread casserole or "spoon pudding". As we ate, I sensed a strong banana flavor in my cornbread casserole...then my dh asks me what he was tasting in said casserole. Hmmm. Recipe calls for a box of Jiffy cornbread...and I picked up Jiffy banana bread!:tongue_smilie: I apparently can't see to read anymore! Not quite the flavor I was going for. I'll try it again for Christmas since I messed it up this year!:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: