Menu

One more MCT Teacher/Student books question :-)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I've been leafing through my Grammar Island Basic package, and loving it (my ds's favorite catch phrase from Get Smart:lol:). Do you all order the Basic packages of the other elementary levels? Can someone who has ordered the complete package tell me if they used the student books? The little teacher text isn't very obtrusive in the Island series but I'm wondering if there is more as the levels progress and I can't find any samples of the teacher manuals to compare.

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I think most levels have both samples of the teacher manual and the student. That being said, Paragraph Town has been revamped and Dr. Tom now recommends you buy the teacher and student books for Paragraph Town. The student book for Paragraph Town now comes bundled in the Basic Homeschool Package. When I get to voyage level, I will likely buy my son his own student book so he can read it on his own. I think, not certain, that there are questions in Voyage level and the answers are right there so that wouldn't work out well unless you retyped them. HOpefully, someone else will chime in with more definitive information. We've completed Island level and are now in Town level.

I think most levels have both samples of the teacher manual and the student. That being said, Paragraph Town has been revamped and Dr. Tom now recommends you buy the teacher and student books for Paragraph Town. The student book for Paragraph Town now comes bundled in the Basic Homeschool Package. When I get to voyage level, I will likely buy my son his own student book so he can read it on his own. I think, not certain, that there are questions in Voyage level and the answers are right there so that wouldn't work out well unless you retyped them. HOpefully, someone else will chime in with more definitive information. We've completed Island level and are now in Town level.

:iagree: What she said. :D

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I think he did the same thing with Grammar Island too. When I ordered (about 1 week ago) the Basic set came without the Student book of Grammar Island for $120 but now it comes with it for $150 and says Grammar Island 2nd Edition:confused: The date inside my GI TM is January 2010 so I think I have the new one. The catalog that came with my order has the GI Basic set with the Student book for $150 so I wonder if maybe they forgot to change it online and didn't realize they hadn't until I ordered? What is the date in your Grammar Island? I think I may have to call and see what is up in case I should be using the student book.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I regards to samples, where are you finding them? On the page where it has Grammar Island, Grammar Town and Grammar Voyage it has samples for all the student books but only samples from the Grammar Town Teacher Manual. Is there someplace else to look?

I thought they had samples of both. I guess since the teacher manual is an exact reproduction of the student manual with some bubbles of info in the margins, they didn't include the teacher manual. I think they should include pages from the back of the teacher manuals. We've told RFWP several times they could do better w/ their sample pages. I know some of the books do now have more extensive samples using a nice online program which is like leafing through the book.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I'm confused. I ordered GI TM and Student Book, but they both look identical. I was planning on returning the Student Book.

The teacher manual has the student text and teacer helps. They just came out with a 2nd Edition of Grammar Island (you have the old version) that has more teacher helps so it's no longer recommended that it be used without the student book (because of the increases teacher material on each page).

Edited because I'm no longer on my phone (a good thumb typist I am not!). Capt Uhura described it much better than I did! Like you, I ordered the old edition (Grammar Island Teacher Manual) just before the 2nd was released. They said I could return it for the new but since I'd already put book protector on it (like clear contact paper to protect soft cover books) I couldn't return it so they let me buy the 2nd Edition Teacher Manual and Student book at a discount. I don't know the exact changes but supposedly there are more teacher helps on the pages (the circles Capt Uhura described), making it necessary to now have the Student Book in addition to the Teacher Manual. They did this with Grammar Town as well. If you think you would rather have the 2nd Edition I'd call on Monday to see if you can return the old for the new. I will be interested to compare the old with the new when the 2nd Edition arrives. I suspect some would prefer the old because they can use it without the new. I *think* I will prefer the new but won't know until I can compare them.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal