Menu

Tell Me About Algebra I: A Fresh Approach

I hope someone responds. :lurk5:

I was tempted to use this but settled on Foerster's because I couldn't get enough feedback. I also considered her geometry when Jacob's wasn't working for us. That was about this time last year, I was expecting it to be done by now so I'm surprised I couldn't find it with the link you provided. When I was considering using her programs, I emailed the author and she responded right away and was very helpful.

I just checked Rainbow Resource and they carry these, but there aren't any customer reviews. The geometry is there, though.

Edited by NJKelli
more info.

I haven't actually used it, but I do own it. I got my copy at Half-Price Books. I couldn't pass it up for just $15.

It has a good-sized font and is black print on white paper with absolutely no color. If my youngest is still hsing next year, it's probably what I will use for her because it looks a lot more rigorous than MUS, but is still black print on white paper with no color (does best with this because of her visual processing issues).

I can't really tell you much else since I haven't actually used it yet.

Thanks for responding. :001_smile: It appears to be a good curriculum. My son needs a black and white workbook that provides explanations without going overboard. It would be wonderful to get some feedback from someone who has actually used the curriculum. :bigear:

I'm using it right now with ds#3. It has been a very good fit for him. He's a bit of a late bloomer in the mathematics realm, but he's moving right on through this text. It isn't so much that he struggled as that he was more conceptual as a younger boy and he had a hard time doing a page of problems without any context (ie. he did so much better with word problems).

I like this text for him because it is basic and the layout isn't "busy" like some other texts (with sidebars, footnotes, etc.). Also, it covers a concept and gives a lot of practice for that concept before moving on. Usually I assign just the even numbered problems and if he does well, we move on. If he has difficulty, we go back and do the odd numbered problems. I ordered the tests from the author as well. The textbook is so inexpensive that I have him write in the book. He struggles with dysgraphia so this works well in that he doesn't have to recopy all the problems.

Ds is scoring anywhere from 87% - 100% on the tests, usually in the 90's. We shelved algebra for a few months and began on geometry. Geometry was easier for him. After a few months, we reintroduced algebra and he has just taken off. I think there is a sort of "math maturity" at play in some of our young men. My other boys excel in math so this one was a whole different experience. But I'm happy to say he is doing fantastic. I'm very satisfied with the text and will use the next level with him as well.

ETA: Rainbow Resource has a nice write-up about the program that you might want to read (if you haven't already).

Edited by CynthiaOK

Where did you buy it? I can't find it for less than $50.

I bought it several years ago to preview. If I remember correctly I got it in the bargain books at rainbow resources. At the time I think I paid under $30 for it which is comparable to a good quality work text.

check out rainbow resources discounted/bargain books. I think they have a few copies right now.

I'm using it right now with ds#3. It has been a very good fit for him. He's a bit of a late bloomer in the mathematics realm, but he's moving right on through this text. It isn't so much that he struggled as that he was more conceptual as a younger boy and he had a hard time doing a page of problems without any context (ie. he did so much better with word problems).

I like this text for him because it is basic and the layout isn't "busy" like some other texts (with sidebars, footnotes, etc.). Also, it covers a concept and gives a lot of practice for that concept before moving on. Usually I assign just the even numbered problems and if he does well, we move on. If he has difficulty, we go back and do the odd numbered problems. I ordered the tests from the author as well. The textbook is so inexpensive that I have him write in the book. He struggles with dysgraphia so this works well in that he doesn't have to recopy all the problems.

Ds is scoring anywhere from 87% - 100% on the tests, usually in the 90's. We shelved algebra for a few months and began on geometry. Geometry was easier for him. After a few months, we reintroduced algebra and he has just taken off. I think there is a sort of "math maturity" at play in some of our young men. My other boys excel in math so this one was a whole different experience. But I'm happy to say he is doing fantastic. I'm very satisfied with the text and will use the next level with him as well.

ETA: Rainbow Resource has a nice write-up about the program that you might want to read (if you haven't already).

Thanks for responding. I am really leaning towards this curriculum. Although MUS looks promising, I like the way Algebra I: A Fresh Approach reviews basic concepts. If my ds needs more practice, I'll just use KUTA worksheets. http://www.kutasoftware.com/freemain.html