Menu

Saxon 8/7 is this crazy???

buttercup

My dd in 7th grade is using this math independently. It takes her about an hour and a half up to 2 hours to complete math most days, that includes doing all of the problems, the timed math sheet, the mental math, and reading the lesson. She does well and even gets 100's on most of her math tests. Does the amount of time she spends seem unreasonable? I have always thought she should be moving quicker through each lesson. I know someone whose son completes a whole lesson in less than an hour. My dd is one that likes to think through everything in a very meticulous way. So much at times that she drives me crazy. I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Edited by buttercup

By way of introduction, I am a retired high school and collegiate math teacher with more than twenty years of experience teaching with John Saxon's math books and later working with Saxon Publishers as a curriculum advisor - advising students, parents, administrators and classroom teachers, and home school educators on how to properly use John Saxon's math books.

I taught mathematics at a rural high school of about 900 students and also taught college "no credit" algebra at the local university to what I later came to call "at risk adults." They were students who had not mastered algebra in high school and they needed to take a "no credit" high school level algebra course to get into the freshman algebra/trig credited course. I used John Saxon's algebra 2 book and more than ninety-five percent of the students who passed that course went on to pass their collegiate freshman algebra/trig credited course the following semester.

I do not sell Saxon math books nor am I affiliated with the company that bought Saxon Publishers.

My advice would be to try skipping the work in the box (designed as "warm-up" materials in a regular classroom). Also, she should not be doing the practice problems at the beginning of the lesson as they were designed for the classroom teaher to use on the board explaining the concept so they would not be doing problems from the student's daily work.

Reading the lesson should take about 5 - 10 minutes and the 30 problems another 45 - 60 minutes. When students take more time than that, I would generally classify them as "dawdlers." They are the students who are easily distracted by almost anything and everything and it therefore takes longer to do the daily work.

So long as she gets a minimum score of 80 or better on every test, and does that within 50 - 60 minutes without a calculator, I would not worry about her time spent on the daily assignments. A test score of eighty reflects what we refer to as the minimal level of acceptable mastery. However, if she is taking longer than 45 - 60 minutes on the tests, there may be another problem created by other conditions which may explain the excessive time spent on the daily work.

The Math 87 book (2nd or 3rd Ed) is a form of pre-algebra designed for Math 76 students who did not do well at the end of the Math 76 book (last five tests below 80's). Because the Math 87 and algebra 1/2 books contain basically the same material, if she completes all the lessons and tests in Math 87 and receives 80's or better on her last five Math 87 tests, she has indicated that she has made up the differences and is ready for algebra. She can skip algebra 1/2 and go straight to algebra 1.

You can find more information in my monthly newsletters at this link:

http://www.usingsaxon.com/newsletter.php

I hope I have adequately addressed your concerns; However, if I did not, please feel free to call my office any week day during normal business hours.

Art Reed

(580) 234-0064 (CST)

Very helpful. Years ago, even cutting back, my dd would take eons to do a Saxon 87 lesson. 2 1/2 hours wouldn't be unusual for her. We've just found that she does math a lot more quickly with a mastery program when she can get her mind in a certain gear and just chug through all of the same type of problems.

If you think of it as a lesson and homework, it's not so much. I mean, if she were in school, she'd spend 45-50 minutes on math each day during school, and it would not be unusual for her to have 45 minutes worth of math homework after that, right? So an hour and a half (to two hours, sometimes) really isn't that much per day.

I think as home schoolers, we often expect our kids to get by with very little time spent on their work. And often that's completely fine. Especially in the early years, kids *can* complete the academic work in much less time than it takes a classroom full of kids! But as kids get older, the work itself starts taking more time. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, though it does take some adjustment.

It may be that your dd would benefit from doing her math lesson while seated next to you for a few days. See if you can be a bit more hands-on and monitor her work. You may discover ways that she can work more efficiently and save herself some time. ... But I also don't think that 1.5-2 hours per day on math at the middle school and high school level is really a problem.

My dd in 7th grade is using this math independently. It takes her about an hour and a half up to 2 hours to complete math most days, that includes doing all of the problems, the timed math sheet, the mental math, and reading the lesson. She does well and even gets 100's on most of her math tests. Does the amount of time she spends seem unreasonable? I have always thought she should be moving quicker through each lesson. I know someone whose son completes a whole lesson in less than an hour. My dd is one that likes to think through everything in a very meticulous way. So much at times that she drives me crazy. I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Yes, upper math does require more time. My son, who is now graduated, would routinely spend two hours daily on mathematics.