Menu

Books that teach good values

MellowYellow

I like these:

What Every Child Should Know Along the Way

http://www.amazon.com/What-Every-Child-Should-Along/dp/1883035538/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I7L8O38JOM88X&colid=2YG5HDJL6DIMW

Child's Book of Character Building: Growing Up in God's World - At Home, at School, at Play, Book 1

http://www.amazon.com/Childs-Book-Character-Building-Growing/dp/0800754948/ref=pd_sim_b_3

I was just looking for some books on teaching small children the difference between right and wrong. Something that teaches about good morals and values, but is easy to understand (ages 3-8). Thanks!

Is there anything like this that is secular? I'm having a hard time finding something that is not Christian judgmental, of conflicts with our values. We are Christian, BTW.

Does the OP want something Christian, or secular? Or both?

Thanks! I guess I should have stated that I am looking for something secular. We are Catholic, but I wanted something that had stories that young kids could relate to.

Since you are Catholic, I would recommend Rare Catholic Stories and Poems and stories of saints.

Regular children's stories that have strong moral themes: The 100 Dresses, A Coat of Many Colors (by Dolly Parton), The Secret Garden, The Little Princess, Chronicles of Narnia, Heidi, etc.

Maureen Wittmann has a book entitled For the Love of Literature which might be an excellent source for you. http://www.amazon.com/Love-Literature-Maureen-Wittmann/dp/0979760909/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290638395&sr=8-1

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

The Book of Virtues is full of wonderful short stories and excerpts. The "Children's" ones simply have fewer stories but with lots of beautiful illustrations. Everyday Graces also has wonderful excerpts for children that focus a little more on manners than on virtues -- but manners in the sense of treating others with kindness, dignity, and respect, not so much which fork to use.

It seems to me that a great many ordinary children's books contain situations where the characters need to decide between good and not-so-good options. We've had great discussions while reading all kinds of books, and I think it's less artificial than seeking out materials specifically intended for this purpose.

It seems to me that a great many ordinary children's books contain situations where the characters need to decide between good and not-so-good options. We've had great discussions while reading all kinds of books, and I think it's less artificial than seeking out materials specifically intended for this purpose.

I think that's absolutely true. ... But several of the options suggested are actually anthologies of classic stories or selections from longer works rather than stories written as illustrations. (And I agree that many of those are not very good...)

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I am reading Milly-Milly-Mandy to my 5 yo right now. Each chapter is pretty short (10-15 minutes of reading) and there is always a value or moral that you could discuss.

I hadn't heard of these books. Thank you for mentioning them. My daughter loves for me to read to her before bed and I think she'd really like these stories. They look really cute (I looked at samples at Amazon).

ETA: for anyone else interested, I know it was just a typo....but the books are called Milly Molly Mandy.