Menu

Coordinating math programs

KellieMI

Nope, we don't try to coordinate. Now, there've been a few times when I've pulled in an extra resource to help with a specific problem, but when we do two full programs (Horizons and Singapore for us), we just work through them both. I find they reinforce and expand on each other really well without any additional work on my part.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I kind of coordinate. We use MUS as our main and MM Blue Series to supplement. Since both MUS and MM Blue Series are divided by topics it's pretty easy to plan. I like for MUS to teach the main concepts and MM to follow up on them once they are learned so for main concepts we don't do them in MM until they are mastered in MUS. Minor concepts that are scattered through MUS instead of having a book dedicated to them are sometimes covered in MM first and sometimes covered in MUS first. We are currently working on 4 different MM books with MUS Alpha. They are Place Value 1, Addition/Subtraction 1, Clock 1, and Early Geometry. At this point the only one that has introduced new info is Early Geometry, the rest have expanded on concepts already learned in MUS.

I don't coordinate topics. Dd6 is doing basic addition/subtraction/making-10 strategies in SM -- measurement, time, addition, subtraction in her Horizons workbook --- multiplication and place value in MM. In RS she builds numbers with the cards and does 'trading' on the abacus. She even plays around on TT3 a bit and learned basic geometry last week. It's really random but it works. Dd7 does a similar routine with her math materials. Keeps life interesting. :)

We use Singapore, MM, and Miquon.

I do not coordinate the topics as my DD likes to feel like she is doing one thing at a time (no spiral), and something different each day. Clear as mud?

The way we schedule this is: MM and Singapore are on alternate days. Miquon is on its own day.

So the week looks like this:

Monday: MM

Tuesday: S

Wednesday: MM

Thursday: S

Friday: Miquon

She gets through a book of MM and Singapore roughly at the same time. She is through the first week of MM 2A, and will be starting Singapore 2A next week. She has been doing fact families, and a bit of review in MM this week. The opening chapter of Singapore 2A is #-1000.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but how do you get through multiple programs and not get behind? :confused: I have one who is strong in math & uses Singapore, but most days the lesson is his limit for the day. Sometimes he does extra and sometimes we are able to skip things because he understands them, but not enough to get through 2 programs in a year. Just wondering. :)

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but how do you get through multiple programs and not get behind? :confused: I have one who is strong in math & uses Singapore, but most days the lesson is his limit for the day. Sometimes he does extra and sometimes we are able to skip things because he understands them, but not enough to get through 2 programs in a year. Just wondering. :)

For us , we do CLE Math (which we both love ) but cross about 1/3 of the problems that I know for sure my ds has mastered. Then, we do Singapore , some days the text , other days the workbook or CWP. Math does take us about 30-45 min , which is a lot for 2nd grade , but I think it's worth it and my ds doesn't complain .

Honestly, we are a couple of grades ahead of the game, so I dont worry too much about "getting it all done in a year". We also school year-round. DD loves to do school nearly every day of the year, so she easily gets through a level in just about 1 year. She probably spends about 30min a day doing math, it works out to be just right for her.

I just have my children do the math from each curriculum. I use Singapore math's Primary Mathematics and Challenging Word Problems with Life of Fred.

Life of Fred is easy for my older son. He completes it in the first half of the year. Challenging Word Problems is medium to hard for him. Then Primary Mathematics was medium, but now... He is doing New Elementary Mathematics. It is not that he cannot do it, but the problems are so hard and there is not enough explanations or solutions. So, we do Life of Fred and Challenging Word Problems plus New Elementary Math. He finishes all of his books by May or June. He also watches Khan Academy the Pre-Algebra section. All of them start to coordinate on their own. The information that he learns in one, he can apply to the other.

My younger son, I use Primary Mathematics and Challenging Word Problems. They are hard for him. I think Life of Fred, I will do over the summer. Since he struggles with math, Primary Mathematics is our spine and he does Challenging Word Problems one day a week.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

We combine Singapore with CWP and Horizons. And dabble with MEP here and there. I don't try to coordinate these programs.

As for getting through them in a year, my big girl is a very aggressive math learner so it just kind of works out that way. I expect to start the next "level" of each program in a couple of months.

We combine MEP, Miquon, and Singapore. MEP is daily; with the other two, it depends on the topic and my boys' understanding. Sometimes we'll do a whole week of one and then a week of the other; other times it will be two days of one and three days of the other. One of my sons can get especially frustrated with the abstract jumps that Singapore can make, so he will take extra time to back up, work it out in Miquon (or sometimes I've pulled in the free sample worksheets from Math Mammoth), and then move on in Singapore again.

I do not try to make it all line up topically; I have enough to do already. We do math for about an hour each day; sometimes we break this into two sessions.

We have completed each level of each of our maths in one year; but I wouldn't sweat it if we didn't. I'm more concerned that they understand the concepts, not that they completed the book in ___ time.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

1. We do math year round and more often than not 6 days a week.

2. I think of Saxon as our spine, Kumon as our drill program, and anything else we do as extra.

3. Ds enjoys math and one lesson or a little math typically leads to more math.

Right now we are taking a break from Saxon. Instead we are currently working through MM Order of Ops, Hands on Equations and Kumon. However, even if we don't pick Saxon back up until Feb ds will still finish it by the end of May.

FWIW although my middle ds also used more than one program (Saxon and Singapore), my oldest never was able to do more than one math program.

HTH-

Mandy