Menu

Keurig, Tassimo, or other?

We have the Keurig because my husband is the only coffee-drinker in the house. He did the math (so he says) and decided that if he was only drinking one cup out of a pot of coffee, it was cheaper to buy the K-cups than to brew an entire pot and throw most of it away. My kids use it for hot chocolate, hot tea (just have it spit out hot water and add the tea bag) and hot cider. I don't like hot drinks, but I would rather have the kids using the Keurig than boiling water on the stove.

I just saw an ad (watching DWTS) that either the machine or the cups are 40% off at Macy's on Friday.

If you are trying to decide between the Keurig and the Tassimo, have you looked at the Amazon reviews? Someone on there is sure to have done the work for you already. That is how we decided on the particular Keurig model (which has become hard to find--it is not digital but is only about $100 regular price).

We highly recommend getting a model with a big reservoir, not the one that only makes one cup at a time.

Terri

We love our keurig. I use it for coffee, hot tea, iced tea, and hot chocolate. We have the my K-cup accessory so we can use any coffee we want in it but rarely use it because it is new. Keurig gives you a great deal on a bunch of k-cups when you register so we are still working through those. I hope the My K-cup will come in handy later and save some money. You wouldn't want to just put a tea bag in the my k-cup, though because it won't have time to steep. I would just use it to make quick hot water to make my tea or hot chocolate the normal way. They have special k-cups for making hot tea, iced tea, and hot chocolate and you do put those in the k-cup holder but you can't do that with things not specially made for the keurig brewer.

We have and love our Keurig. We are both coffee and tea drinkers here.

If we want tea (or hot chocolate) instead of coffee, we run it without the Kcup in the basket, putting the tea bag in the mug, not in the machine. Just water comes out. We tried some of the Kcup tea selections and found them to be inferior to either a quality tea bag or just using loose tea. Plus, they were expensive for the quality.

I will admit, if we have been drinking a lot of coffee and have been lax in keeping the basket super clean, we get a grind or two when we run it for hot water.

I LOVE MY KUERIG. Love it. I drink a cup or two a day, so brewing a whole pot is annoying and not cost effective (I usually drink one in the morning, one in the afternoon). My kids each get to drink 1 hot chocolate a day - but we don't use the k-cups for that. If you lift the lid to trick it into thinking there's a cup there - it just shoots out hot water. We just put cheap cocoa packets in the cup, add the hot water and viola. It's awesome. I highly recommend it!!!

I like my Keurig, but I'm growing weary of paying $.40/cup for coffee. I also wasted money trying coffee we didn't like. :(

It can be easily used for tea (or any other use that needs plain hot water); my dd uses it all the time to make a quick cup of hot water to brew tea.

Get something called "My K-Cup" for your Keurig. It's a little basket filter that fits in where the K-cup goes that you can fill with any coffee you'd like. HUGE money-saver.

astrid

There are also little disposable filters you can use in a special "reusable" shell. I"m thinking about purchasing that.... BUT, I can't get it with Amazon Prime, so I have to pay shipping. The little reusable filter is a bit of a pain to clean out. The coffee I get for about $17.00 for 50 k-cups. I use 2 a day. I got that deal on Amazon Prime, because I'm on "delivery" for one box a month, plus another for 1 every two months... so I can average out for my 60 a month. :) For tea, I do just put the cup below. I've found that it's good for instant oatmeal, too. and... some other stuff..... I really do like it :)

If my house was on fire, I'd grab my Keurig on the way out the door.

Seriously, I count it as one of the best inventions of the modern era.

astrid

:iagree:

We took ours camping. :D It was the best.

Seriously though buy the My K-cup.

We buy the k-cups when we're having company but in between we use the my k cup with our own beans. Our keurig has paid for it's self because we're using significantly less beans. I did get a caffeine headache at first because of that less caffeine. Less is a good thing for my health too.