Menu

Gluten Free Gravy

I use potato starch. It doesn't affect the flavor, and doesn't get that weird gel-like consistency like cornstarch does (at least when I try it!).

Yeah, that's why I favor tapioca starch (though potato has worked well for me and superfine rice flour to)... Corn starch gives that very particular shiny gel-thing... It's not awful, but I like it less well than some of the other thickeners.

Yeah, that's why I favor tapioca starch (though potato has worked well for me and superfine rice flour to)... Corn starch gives that very particular shiny gel-thing... It's not awful, but I like it less well than some of the other thickeners.

That's so funny, because when I was posting about using cornstarch, I had originally written that I prefer it to tapioca starch because, in my experience, it gives a slimy/goopy texture at times that I never get with cornstarch. Interesting that others have had the opposite experience.

Lisa

Thanks everyone. I usually use a combo of flour and cornstarch cuz I don't like the color and texture of just corn starch.

I think I should experiment tomorrow with the potato starch and the arrowroot.( I have potato starch and flour, it is all so confusing some days..)

I have tapioca and brown rice flour too, but I am pretty sure the rice flour is not sweet or finely ground. I don't want to ruin everyone's gravy with my diet needs.