Menu

I rec'd my Bible Study for all Ages package yesterday: Teacher's Guide, Wall Map & Time Line (w/label book), Student Pages (intermediate) and Bible Book Summary Cards.

This looks completely overwhelming! It seems like a TON of work for student and teacher. The TM doesn't really lay out much of a schedule-just what to cover in each lesson. I wanted an in depth Bible program-and it looks like I got one:001_huh:

Do you break the lessons down and complete one each week? Do you do one lesson a day?

I have looked thru the TM and am SO lost. I don't see in the Lessons when to use the visuals in the back of the TM. Lesson one says to use Drills C & D, but nowhere to I see where to use A & B. I don't have an answer key for the SP's and I don't fully understand what some of the questions are asking. It looks like the students make their own books based on each person-is there any direction for what they need to draw?

I'm a bit size person-so breaking this down in small pieces would really help me:)

Looking at this program gives me anxiety!! HELP:willy_nilly::svengo::scared:

Edited by OregonNative

I have looked thru the TM and am SO lost. I don't see in the Lessons when to use the visuals in the back of the TM. Lesson one says to use Drills C & D, but nowhere to I see where to use A & B. I don't have an answer key for the SP's and I don't fully understand what some of the questions are asking. It looks like the students make their own books based on each person-is there any direction for what they need to draw?

I'm a bit size person-so breaking this down in small pieces would really help me:)

I love all the little extra pieces, but they simply add too much time. We tried some at first, doing things over multiple days, and finally settled on our current schedule. I do memorization separately because we just don't memorize that quickly. We do one lesson a day. We both read it for our devotions early in the day, then late in the day we sit down together. We review either the books of the OT or NT, then we do the review questions and the questions for the current lesson. We have a short apply it discussion and that is it.

I never did the whole drill program, but it seemed to me they would cover one thing for a while, then switch to another, but continue to occasionally review the first one learned. My guess is A and B are just scheduled later. They may have been something that was covered early in the first edition of the program, but got moved when they re-did it. Thus it still retains the A and B position even through it isn't scheduled first.

There isn't an answer key for the questions in the IG. I don't know about the Student Pages as I don't use those. I generally read the passage for my devotions and write my answers for the IG right then. This way I also have the answers for when we review. DD only does them orally.

Hope you find your groove. I would recommend starting with just the basics and then adding and dropping pieces to see if they work for you. Or maybe giving each piece a day till you figure out how long they take and if they will work for you. There is no reason to rush through the program, so if it takes you a couple of months to find you stride, that is really ok.

Heather

I rec'd my Bible Study for all Ages package yesterday: Teacher's Guide, Wall Map & Time Line (w/label book), Student Pages (intermediate) and Bible Book Summary Cards.

This looks completely overwhelming! It seems like a TON of work for student and teacher. The TM doesn't really lay out much of a schedule-just what to cover in each lesson. I wanted an in depth Bible program-and it looks like I got one:001_huh:

Do you break the lessons down and complete one each week? Do you do one lesson a day?

I felt overwhelmed when I first bought this as well. It's more of a guide than a scripted, day by day curriculum. However, it is by far the best, most thorough resource we have used to date.

I averaged two lessons per week. I think in the introduction pages she gives suggestions on scheduling for home use.

The drills are awesome. I looked at lesson 1 (are you starting with Unit 1?) and mine says to use drills A and B. Nonetheless, the drills will tend to repeat themselves for a while then add a new one. It's no problem if they're having you start with c and d, just follow what it says.

The crux of the lesson is the scripture text presented, so I review that beforehand. Sometimes I choose to use a children's Bible instead of the actual text if appropriate.

There are, unfortunately, no answers to the questions; however, there are scripture references next to them so you can find the answer.

Maybe a schedule similar to this until you find your groove?

Day 1:

drillwork (5 minutes) - follow instructions for using drill masters

review (5-10 min) - there will be previous lesson numbers/colors to review questions from past lessons. For example, "lesson 8, red questions", so you would flip to lesson 8 and review the questions with "R" in front.

scripture reading (10-30 min) - This can be as long as you desire, using some of the additional scripture verses suggested. For older students, this can give them experiences cross-referencing, using a concordance, etc.

review questions (15 min) - help them look up scripture reference if needed to find answer

Day 2:

mapwork (10 min) - honestly, we never did the maps:glare: They do look helpful, though, and a very visual way to learn biblical geograpy

timeline (5 min) - we LOVE this part

worksheets (15-20 min) this is the best reinforcement for my dc. There are scripture references to find answers if necessary. I still use the old sheets. The newer ones have a lot more drill/questions, and if there is anything redundant, I think it can be skipped.

visual (15 min) I consider this optional. It's great for younger students. Basically, it's like a narration page where they can draw/narrate a page about what they just learned. When multiple lessons will center on one person (Moses, Jesus, Joseph, etc), you will start a "book" on that person where all the narration pages will be put in. My kids just used construction paper and made a cover, "My Joseph Book", or something like that, and use paper fasteners to add to it. Again, this is optional.

Using this layout, you can roughly cover two lessons per week with a little wiggle room if needed.

I hope this helps:)

Lisa

The TM was put together before the SPs. I think I remember reading somewhere that you can do either/or. You can do both too, if you want, but it'd probably be overkill.

We do one lesson per day, BUT we leave off a LOT. Currently all we do is the review questions, I read the text out loud, we answer all the questions in the TM. Then we go around the room and I have one kid read the application questions for their level. I have 2 in the Beginner level, 1 in Intermediate, and 2 in Advanced, so the B and A groups take turns reading from day to day. I USED to go through the coloring pages on the back of the Beginner pages, but it took too much time. Now I try to get them their pages before I start reading so they can halfway follow along with that.

We no longer do the timeline/maps/drills. We also don't do the book and have the kids draw their own visuals - those are for if you don't use the SPs.

We use it. I have the student pages, the Bible Book Summary Cards and the CD.

I had the entire 4 quarters of pages bound at Staples. Nice book, no loose pages floating around. We do 3-4 lessons a week. Here is how we handle it:

*We do the Remember It section.

*We do the Memory Workout section.

*We do the Guess What section.

*We then flip to the back of the page and complete the lesson. I read it in chunks for DS. We do each chunk as it is broken down in the pictures.

*We go back and do the map/timeline.

*We do Flashback,

*We finish with Apply It.

Bible is usually 20/30 minutes depending on how much DS wants to discuss. I love teaching this program and DS has really learned a lot. Don't skim over the Bible Summary Cards. It is amazing how much the children remember and learn by using those cards.

For us, it was an open and go program.

The CD is on DS's iPod and he listens to it while going to sleep.

I found the TM to have so much overlap with the student pages. So this year (our 2nd) we have found that this schedule works best for us:

2 days per lesson:

Day 1 - Read the scripture, complete review (Remember It), timeline etc.

Day 2 - Complete map and lesson questions on the worksheet

This schedule has worked really well for us. My kids enjoy the lessons and it is less choppy than when I was trying to follow the TM and the student pages.

The drills are awesome. I looked at lesson 1 (are you starting with Unit 1?) and mine says to use drills A and B. Nonetheless, the drills will tend to repeat themselves for a while then add a new one. It's no problem if they're having you start with c and d, just follow what it says.

When multiple lessons will center on one person (Moses, Jesus, Joseph, etc), you will start a "book" on that person where all the narration pages will be put in. My kids just used construction paper and made a cover, "My Joseph Book", or something like that, and use paper fasteners to add to it.

I'm wondering if my TM has a typo. Altho Drill a and d correlate with Lesson 1, nowhere in the TM are a and b mentioned. Drill a and D deal with the 12 sons of Jacob.

What are the Narration pages?

The TM was put together before the SPs. I think I remember reading somewhere that you can do either/or. You can do both too, if you want, but it'd probably be overkill.

I agree. Not only did I read instructions in the TM, but then it says I have to read more instructions on the first page of the SP's. I guess this is so they can be used separately.

We use it. I have the student pages, the Bible Book Summary Cards and the CD.

This sounds like a nice mix. Any reason you didn't do the timeline?

I'm wondering if my TM has a typo. Altho Drill a and d correlate with Lesson 1, nowhere in the TM are a and b mentioned. Drill a and D deal with the 12 sons of Jacob.

What are the Narration pages?

I just meant narration as per WTM suggestions, not specific to this curriculum. Depending on age, you could have dc draw a picture, dictate a sentence or two and have you write it, etc. I just had dc draw a picture of something in the Bible lesson.

This sounds like a nice mix. Any reason you didn't do the timeline?

The timeline on the student pages seem to be enough for us right now. DS does take the dates and figures out where they are on his SOTW timeline that I made and we discuss the biblical with the historical dates.

• 3 weeks later...

I have pulled my information back out to review if I wanted to go back to using this.

I can't believe all the components our family missed out on our first time through.

Basically my dh would read the bible as noted in the text section. Then he would aske the questions. My youngers would go off and do their workbook. We had a fantastic experience as a family and grew alot just by reading the word.

I'm looking back at the timeline, drills etc. thinking we just didn't do it justice. HOWEVER, just the scheduled bible readings, questions and their own workbook work was wonderful.

Hang in, I'm sure you'll get exactly what God wants you to do at this season :)

• 3 weeks later...
Can you do this program with just the student pages? I agree- the whole program looks very overwhelming.

Beth

You will need a set of student pages for each student. The student pages will need to coordinated with what age group they fall in to. Surprisingly, it is not as overwhelming as it looks:)