Menu

Sonlight, Veritas Press, Biblioplan, HOD Preparing, MFW Adventures?

Disney Dreaming

I am looking ahead to next year for my 7yr old dd. We are using Core 1 this year with Sonlight. I have looked over Veritas Press, Biblioplan, HOD Preparing, Sonlight Core 2 and MFW-which one is better? I would like a list of pros and cons--and any other suggestions you may have. I have tried SOTW, *I* like it but dd isn't crazy about it, which makes me think maybe Biblioplan isn't the right choice. Thanks in advance for your help!

I want a spine that is on a child's level(and not boring) because dd is borderline ADD. I also want some hands on activites. I would prefer a shorter lesson for 4 or 5 days rather than a longer lesson 2 days a week. I don't have a preference between world or US as long as it is going to hold dd's attention.

I wonder if MFW wouldn't be a better fit for her then? The reading time is shorter, the books are probably considered more age appropriate and there are hands-on activities that are simple for you to implement. I've been a SL user for years and love it, but I did use MFW K with my daughter and part of MFW Adventures one summer.

Lisa

I would say that VP, SOTW, and Biblioplan might be better for an older student. (I believe Biblioplan uses SOTW.) Sonlight is excellent but the lessons are neither short nor include hands-on lessons.

HoD has short lessons and easy hand-on stuff. It is very complete, scripted, and open-and-go. You would want a different level for that age though. Check out their placement chart.

Many love MFW. It also has good books and hands-on. It is not as customized to a child's level as HoD to make it more combinable and flexible for use with larger age ranges.

You're using SL this year; is there something you don't like that's making you consider switching?

My only true problem with SL right now is the lack of hands on activities. I have seen that most other programs have activities scheduled. The thing I liked best about VP was the coloring books and supplemental books added in.

I wonder if MFW wouldn't be a better fit for her then? The reading time is shorter, the books are probably considered more age appropriate and there are hands-on activities that are simple for you to implement.

:iagree: Of course, being a longtime MFW user here. ;) Adventures was one of our most favorite years! It was right on target for my then-7yo, but I was also able to beef it up for my then-10yo (who at the time hadn't had any American history at all yet), and found some goodies for my then-3yo to do as well. But Adventures primarily targets the 2nd/3rd grade age range. (The wider age range begins with ECC, which is the following year.)

I've posted a lot about MFW, but specific to Adventures we loved:

-- Book Basket choices of about 400 titles, including a variety of book genres and reading levels, as well as video titles. Lots of flexibility there, and we've found some real gems on that booklist that we'd never heard of before.

-- The study of the names and characteristics of Jesus

-- The way science is themed to the names of Jesus (i.e., Bread of Life, Living Water)

-- Patriotic songs & symbols

-- the 50-state study/geography overview of the U.S. that includes a bird study, too

-- Notebooking activities that are age-appropriate

Overall, Adventures was just a fun, fun year! :001_smile: I loved it so much that I'm doing parts of it again with my youngest this year who's a 2nd grader. She's doing the history portion as part of the Expl-1850 program which I'm doing with 6th grader, but I'm adding the parts of Adventures that aren't included in EX1850 for 2nd grader's benefit because I just didn't want her to miss out on some things specific to Adventures (like the names of Jesus study, for example).

:iagree: Of course, being a longtime MFW user here. ;) Adventures was one of our most favorite years! It was right on target for my then-7yo, but I was also able to beef it up for my then-10yo (who at the time hadn't had any American history at all yet), and found some goodies for my then-3yo to do as well. But Adventures primarily targets the 2nd/3rd grade age range. (The wider age range begins with ECC, which is the following year.)

I've posted a lot about MFW, but specific to Adventures we loved:

-- Book Basket choices of about 400 titles, including a variety of book genres and reading levels, as well as video titles. Lots of flexibility there, and we've found some real gems on that booklist that we'd never heard of before.

-- The study of the names and characteristics of Jesus

-- The way science is themed to the names of Jesus (i.e., Bread of Life, Living Water)

-- Patriotic songs & symbols

-- the 50-state study/geography overview of the U.S. that includes a bird study, too

-- Notebooking activities that are age-appropriate

Overall, Adventures was just a fun, fun year! :001_smile: I loved it so much that I'm doing parts of it again with my youngest this year who's a 2nd grader. She's doing the history portion as part of the Expl-1850 program which I'm doing with 6th grader, but I'm adding the parts of Adventures that aren't included in EX1850 for 2nd grader's benefit because I just didn't want her to miss out on some things specific to Adventures (like the names of Jesus study, for example).

Thanks Donna. I really appreciate you explaining the curriculum. I have looked at the website and the catalog but some things are better coming from someone who has used it. Is this enough for a 3rd grader? My dd will be in 3rd grade next year, and this seems really great. I am not homeschooling any other children and still trying to find my footing(this is my 2nd yr homeschooling).

My only true problem with SL right now is the lack of hands on activities. I have seen that most other programs have activities scheduled. The thing I liked best about VP was the coloring books and supplemental books added in.

Handle on the Arts has hands-on packages for the earlier years of SL - here's the link to Year 2:

http://www.handleonthearts.com/cart/handson-activities-year-2-c-24_26.html

Just one option to consider! :)

Angel,

Have you seen these???? :001_smile:

http://www.roadstoeverywhere.com/sonlight1.htm

http://www.roadstoeverywhere.com/sonlight2.htm

http://www.roadstoeverywhere.com/sonlight.htm

http://www.sonlight.com/weekly-ig-tips-01.html

http://www.sonlight.com/weekly-ig-tips-02.html

MFW DOES have history & science in bite size chunks day to day and includes a lovely balance of reading, notebooking, hands-on activities, etc. I think you may want to look more closely at it IF you decide to leave SL. FWIW, I love both . . . :D A lovely idea (IMHO :001_smile:) is to use Sonlight Core 1, MFW Adventures, then SL Core 2. You'd have a lovely history cycle and a chance to sample My Father's World via Adventures. IF you want to go back to MFW you could jump in with ECC OR their 4 year cycle (which begins no earlier than 4th grade for the oldest child in the family). If SL is your ticket then you'd just continue on with Core 3 or 3+4. That plan is a front runner for our family. We used Core 1 last year, Adventures right now (loving it) and we're considering using Core 2 next as a way to wrap up a history cycle.

Angel,

Have you seen these???? :001_smile:

http://www.roadstoeverywhere.com/sonlight1.htm

http://www.roadstoeverywhere.com/sonlight2.htm

http://www.roadstoeverywhere.com/sonlight.htm

http://www.sonlight.com/weekly-ig-tips-01.html

http://www.sonlight.com/weekly-ig-tips-02.html

MFW DOES have history & science in bite size chunks day to day and includes a lovely balance of reading, notebooking, hands-on activities, etc. I think you may want to look more closely at it IF you decide to leave SL. FWIW, I love both . . . :D A lovely idea (IMHO :001_smile:) is to use Sonlight Core 1, MFW Adventures, then SL Core 2. You'd have a lovely history cycle and a chance to sample My Father's World via Adventures. IF you want to go back to MFW you could jump in with ECC OR their 4 year cycle (which begins no earlier than 4th grade for the oldest child in the family). If SL is your ticket then you'd just continue on with Core 3 or 3+4. That plan is a front runner for our family. We used Core 1 last year, Adventures right now (loving it) and we're considering using Core 2 next as a way to wrap up a history cycle.

Thanks Katrina. That looks like a good plan and may very well be what we do. I don't know if dd is ready for Core 2, it LOOKS like a little much for her, but she is doing well with Core 1. MFW and HOD just look like more FUN! I want her to enjoy learning, not just read and answer questions day in and day out. She is a visual learner it appears so these may be what I choose from for next year.

AAAhhhhh! Now I'm seriously considering MFW Adventures for both girls next year.... :001_huh:

Amber,

That's awesome! We really liked Core 1 but it was a stretch for my younger son (he was 5 at the time). He's doing GREAT with Adventures this year even though he's a first grader (he's 6). I just modify down a teensy bit for him. For example, when we do a notebook page I do ask my 2nd grader (he's 8) to write 2-3 sentences (we discuss this first) but for my first grader I just ask him, "What is one thing you remember about Ben Franklin?" Then I write this on the whiteboard and he copies that sentence onto his sheet.

The Book Basket is the ticket for my older. He is reading so much and making connections right and left. It's fabulous. Again, if your library stinks then BB won't be awesome. But, if you have a great library it is a beautiful thing. I just reserve books ahead for 2-3 weeks worth of history/science (using the book lists in the Teacher's Manual). DH picks them up and the kids devour them. We return them and do it again!

You could then go back to Core 2 the NEXT year and have a lovely history cycle for your sweeties! :001_smile: Or, decide to stay with MFW because you might LOVE it :lol:.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I am doing Preparing with a 10yo and it is a really good fit, but I would look at Bigger for your 3rd grader. We like HOD because it is made for wiggly kids who get bored easily. It changes up just a little everyday to keep interest. Lots of hands on activities, but not too complicated for mom. One other really great thing is that it flows really well, it is not choppy.

Next year I plan to use VP and SOTW with my 2nd grader using plans from Easy Classical.

I think MFW Adventures looks great too though.