Menu

Anyone else that DIDN'T feel the FLL levels 1-2 love?

Mama2Many4

I've been trying to press on with FLL 1, and glanced at 2 that I bought as PDF downloads from Lampstand Press. I just can't get into liking it. My boys are getting pretty fed up with it too. After 2 lessons my sons grasp the idea, but these books do an overkill of like, 50 lessons on each topic. So if I were to skip we'd be done with the entire book in a week!

I'm going to go with Language Lessons by Sandi Queen I think. It looks a little more like what we're reaching for.

So, anyone else not have FLL work for you? :bigear:

I actually really like all of SWB's curricula, but for some reason this particular one didn't click with my DC. They just didn't get it, I don't know why. We moved onto Rod and Staff Grammar - another of her recommendations - and it was a great fit. We do use WWE and they LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Aint' kids funny...! :lol:

I am using FLL1 with my first grader. I asked a question earlier today about it being redundant and learned that some users do not complete the lesson in it's entirety if the child grasps the concept. They will do a review to make sure that the child still remembers it. Some do not do the writing or memorization because similar writing is done in WWE or another program they use. I do not do the memorization and will probably discontinue the writing part. We do not do the repeat 3x or write 3x as I don't find it necessary at this point.

I can't say we love the program. DS doesn't complain about it. Probably because it's so quick. I also find WWE to be redundant-we are using 1 and 2. I may skip some parts of each lesson in it as well.

If you are interested in viewing responses to my FLL thread, it is here

Yes and no. If I had done the script I would go mad. Instead I would look at the topic of the day, review the definitions, and any memory work, then have my child give me one example of the new work and then move on.

When modified that way, it worked beautifully.

That said I will use Growing with Grammar for ds because he is a workbook fan and I just want exposure. I might do R&S but this boy really likes to do it on his own. I need to ask how much teach involvement there is in R&S.

Heather

We had a love/hate relationship with FLL. FLL1 was too slow for us, so we doubled up and skipped some lessons. Then we slogged through the last half of FLL2. I tried another grammar program, but eventually broke down and bought FLL3 and I'm really glad I did. It may not be the most fun, but it's very thorough and it definitely gets the job done.

ETA: I agree with Heather that it works better when you modify the script a bit, my dd refuses to repeat a definition 3 times :).

Edited by Pata

We had a love/hate relationship with FLL. FLL1 was too slow for us, so we doubled up and skipped some lessons. Then we slogged through the last half of FLL2. I tried another grammar program, but eventually broke down and bought FLL3 and I'm really glad I did. It may not be the most fun, but it's very thorough and it definitely gets the job done.

ETA: I agree with Heather that it works better when you modify the script a bit, my dd refuses to repeat a definition 3 times :).

:iagree: FLL 3 is much better than FLL 1/2.

For one of my children, FLL1/2 worked well with modifications, for the other child, it would be a generally poor fit. With most of FLL1, I moved quickly through it and did not do all of the suggested repetitions. Actually, we still don't repeat everything 3 times or whatever and DD8 is in FLL3 now. Because I enjoy most of the curriculum, I try to make it work for us.

Another thought . . . . (this may have been expressed already) . . . . is that FLL isn't just "grammar". I love how it reminds me to practice writing our address. We memorize sweet little poems. We read interesting fables and do a few picture studies. I love that it is EASY and if the lesson for the day is totally repetitive and my kid can recite it in his sleep then it's a FREEBIE :D. I get to knock 'em dead with GRAMMAR soon enough . . . I appreciate those freebies and the ultra gentle lead in to English studies.

It didn't do the trick for dd. I was modifying like crazy, but the scripted thing combined with all the repetition just made me decide to try something else. We covered the basics using a Flashkids workbook, firmed them up with MCT Island level, and Mad Libs, and now she is just breezing through Voyages in English 5. I still haven't decided exactly how I'll start grammar with DS -- maybe wait a year and launch straight into MCT.