Menu

"Good earrings" vs. "cheap earrings" Help me be more specific, please.

My MIL is not understanding... and she admits it's probably because she has never purchased earrings in her whole life. She doesn't have her ears pierced, and has no idea why women would do it. But, she knows I have pierced ears, and dd10 got hers done a few months ago. So, to be nice, she was thinking of buying her some for Christmas.

Now, dd has been great with ear care. However, she has had difficulty with a couple pairs of earrings, namely cheaper ones that I had kept from my childhood. Because of this, when my MIL mentioned this, I told her of this and told her that I was planning to buy her a pair or two of good quality earrings for Christmas, rather than a bunch of cheaper pairs.

I have told her this means buying earrings that are made with 10K-14K gold, or sterling silver, not a pack of 3 pairs of earrings for $10.

I'm not being specific enough. So, help me use better words, please. :confused:

Edited by JoyfulMama

I have the same issue and simply say point blank that I'm allergic to the materials in faux or plated and cannot wear anything less than what you described.

I don't wear earrings either, but have the same issue with all jewelry. Sadly not my girls have the same issue. I really wish none of us did. It'd be nice to have cute jewelry for peonies by comparison.

Yeah, some people look at me like I'm snotty. Whatever.

If after they've been told they buy it anyways, I just give it away, toss it, or if I can, I might return it for nonjewlery.

Gold earrings (14K, 18K) have given my daughter issues.

The only earrings that have worked are from Claires (they are in every mall in America). They sell a line of hypoallergenic earrings ( I think that is what they are called, they are supposed to be metal free and allergy proof).

They start around $10/pair or sometimes for a set of 3 earrings.

My daughter has never had a problem with infections with them.

Gold earrings (14K, 18K) have given my daughter issues.

The only earrings that have worked are from Claires (they are in every mall in America). They sell a line of hypoallergenic earrings ( I think that is what they are called, they are supposed to be metal free and allergy proof).

They start around $10/pair or sometimes for a set of 3 earrings.

My daughter has never had a problem with infections with them.

I wish we could wear those from Claires. They cause us problems as well.

I know of a site that has what you need...and they aren't pricey! It's called Simply Whispers. They are really great, and they have some awesome clearance sales. http://www.simplywhispers.com/index.html They are suppose to be real gold or sterling silver, and hypoallergenic. I use to use them when I was younger, cause fake jewelry turns me green! :)

As for how to tell her otherwise, I agree with True Blue. Just be blunt, fake earrings cause her to get infections!

She wants to buy earrings that dd can wear, just is having a hard time deciphering between "real" and "fake". She honestly doesn't seem to understand what "fake" means.

Do I need to be more specific than "14K gold or better, or sterling silver"? She's asking me to be more specific, and I don't know how to be.:confused:

I have not tried the hypoallergenic earrings at Claires, and I'd hate to lean MIL toward something that might not work, especially since she is going out of her comfort zone already with this purchase.

The Simply Whispers earrings are great.

I completely understood what the OP meant by her wording, but maybe that's because I'm one of those people that can't wear the cheap earrings. Neither can my mom.

I would think that stating "hypoallergenic" or "14 K gold" or "sterling silver" should be plain enough.

Most of the time, if you are allergic to jewelry it's because of nickel. Lots of metals, including some gold, have nickel in it.

I'd make it easy for her. Tell her it has to say Sterling Silver on the label, otherwise she can't wear them.

:iagree:

Tell grandma the result is crusty and painful, I'm sure she'll understand. If she doesn't listen.. you're not alone. :001_smile:

If your daughter find a pair of inexpensive earrings she may be able to change the hook or post from cheapy metal to a sterling or gold (some people use plastic). All you need are the findings (they sell them at many craft stores, or at gem and mineral shows), and a pair of needle nose pliers.

As long as the part that goes in the lobe isn't soldered on, it's quick and easy to do.

Also, always make sure the earring backings aren't a pot metal!

Here are some examples of hypoallergenic findings: http://www.hypoallergenicfindings.com/

You can see how posts and hooks are put onto earrings by watching a basic earring tutorial on youtube (you can also change a clasp without re stringing sometimes).

Dearest mil, dd can only wear real silver or gold earrings as she is allergic to anything else and it causes an infection.

We all have the same problem here, too.

:iagree:

We have the same problems. Within minutes our ears are swollen and itchy. Just reiterate what happens when you buy the pot metal stuff.

Most of the time, if you are allergic to jewelry it's because of nickel. Lots of metals, including some gold, have nickel in it.

I'd make it easy for her. Tell her it has to say Sterling Silver on the label, otherwise she can't wear them.

Yes, just tell her to look for jewelry that says "nickel free". This is what I do when buying earings for niece.

She wants to buy earrings that dd can wear, just is having a hard time deciphering between "real" and "fake". She honestly doesn't seem to understand what "fake" means.

Do I need to be more specific than "14K gold or better, or sterling silver"? She's asking me to be more specific, and I don't know how to be.:confused:

I have not tried the hypoallergenic earrings at Claires, and I'd hate to lean MIL toward something that might not work, especially since she is going out of her comfort zone already with this purchase.

tell her to buy at the jewelry counter, not off the little racks in the accessory department.

I think you should tell grandma to send her a book. :D

So I guess you are all telling me that I am being specific enough. Phew! For a while there I was thinking I was going bananas...

Can you tell her that a salesperson should be able to help her find something if she still has trouble? I don't think you're going bananas. Surely once your MIL actually goes shopping and looks at some earrings it won't be so confusing?

tell her to buy at the jewelry counter, not off the little racks in the accessory department.

Good idea!

I think you should tell grandma to send her a book. :D

Yes, we've already conquered that hurdle, and MIL is now trained quite nicely. :D

Any reason poor, old grandma can't buy whatever she wants, and you can just paint the stems with clear nail polish?

Rosie

Never thought about this... I think I'd be more willing to do it with my ears, as they have been pierced a whole lot longer.

Can you tell her that a salesperson should be able to help her find something if she still has trouble? I don't think you're going bananas. Surely once your MIL actually goes shopping and looks at some earrings it won't be so confusing?

Let's hope so!!! Honestly, I never thought buying a pair of earings would be so difficult!