Menu

Switch from MM to HM 1st Grade?

dasilva324

No, I don't think it would be a disaster. :) I also don't think it has to be "one or the other". Is Miquon working for her, but you feel she needs more written practice? Perhaps do Horizons 4 days a week and Miquon on Fridays. Or do a Horizons lesson first thing in the morning and 15-20 minutes of Miquon play/exploration later in the day.

I don't know about Horizons, but I've found Primary Mathematics (Singapore) to be a perfect compliment to Miquon in our home. Miquon builds the model "concretely" and Singapore takes that model and systematically build on it.

Miquon teaches the teacher/parent how to make the teaching of mathematical laws explicit, where in early levels of Singapore they are implicit. The two together is synergistic IMO.

Just a thought.

Bill

If you choose Horizons, I would definitely recommend the placement test. Here is the one from the Sonlight site:

http://www.sonlight.com/horizons-readiness-evaluations.html

Horizons runs about 6 months more advanced than a lot of other math programs (minus Singapore). For example, the second book of Horizons 1 is more like beginning (or so) 2nd grade material.