Menu

How long can you marinade meat?

I'm marinading a pork loin for Thanksgiving. We don't do turkey here since dh doesn't like it.

I just got done putting it in the marinade thinking I would put it in the crockpot tonight and finish it in the oven tomorrow. What I meant to do is put it in the crockpot tomorrow night and finish it in the oven on Thursday.

Will it be okay marinading from now until late tomorrow night?

I know that if you marinate too long the meat can turn mushy, but I wasn't sure how long is "too long". I found this website:

http://everything2.com/title/Marinade

Apparently pork will be fine. Here's the part about marinating times:

The time that you marinate the meat is also important. If the meat marinates too little the marinade does not have a chance to soften and flavor the meat. If you marinate too long the acids in the marinade can overtenderize the meat, leaving it mushy and unappetizing. The acids can also actually begin to cook the meat (as in cerviche), which causes the meat to dry out and toughen. Marinating times vary greatly depending on the kind, cut, and size of the meat. Denser meats like pork and steak can marinate for 24 hours or even longer, while lighter meats like chicken should marinate for no more than 2 hours. Seafood times generally range from 15 to 60 minutes. Meat that has been sliced will marinate faster than meat that is whole, due to the additional surface area. Puncturing the meat does not appear to help marinade penetration and may actually cause the meat to lose valuable juices.