Menu

Elastic and Directional?

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Guest mrsjamiesouth

My friend and I have a running joke on the different way we speak, the Sorry thread got me thinking.

Do you use Elastics?

Do you drink pop, soda, Coke, or Tonic?

I love different accents and words, it is fun to compare.:001_smile:

My friend and I have a running joke on the different way we speak, the Sorry thread got me thinking.

Do you use Elastics?

Do you drink pop, soda, Coke, or Tonic?

I love different accents and words, it is fun to compare.:001_smile:

"Elastics" sound like what we call "Botox." I don't use it, but I'm getting old enough not to criticize anybody who does.

"Pop" is a weasel, & we don't drink those, but I think you could sell the liquid contents to an ancient culture. Maybe the Maya?

"Soda." Yep, I drink that. And "coke."

"Tonic," however, is what my great-grandparents used to drink to help them...move things along. I believe. I didn't ask. :001_huh:

:lol:

We have hair ties/bows not elastics. I drink soda daily. I may be the only one on my side of the family who does though. Others drink Coke because they actually drink Coke. Others still drink pop.

The thing I push around in the grocery store is sometimes a buggy and sometimes a cart. For the longest time it was a buggy, but I'm moving back to my roots so it is becoming a cart once again.

I do take the cart to the register not the till. If you say "till" I do know to what you are referring.

I turn off lights. Dh who lived most of his live in the deep south "cuts" them off. On the back of my car is a license plate, dh has a tag.

I don't know what an elastic is, but I have rubber bands. I do have a few pairs of pants with elastic, but I don't think that's what you meant. I drink soda, pop is in a Dr. Suess book, Coke is a brand, tonic is what you mix with gin (right?).

I use the words sofa and couch interchangeably, although I pick one when I'm writing a story. It's not a divan, that reminds of plastic slip covers for some reason. I push a cart at the store, a buggy is for babies.

I have a license plate on my car, which holds a tag showing when it needs to be renewed.

I don't know what an elastic is, but I have rubber bands. I do have a few pairs of pants with elastic, but I don't think that's what you meant. I drink soda, pop is in a Dr. Suess book, Coke is a brand, tonic is what you mix with gin (right?).

I use the words sofa and couch interchangeably, although I pick one when I'm writing a story. It's not a divan, that reminds of plastic slip covers for some reason. I push a cart at the store, a buggy is for babies.

I have a license plate on my car, which holds a tag showing when it needs to be renewed.

:iagree:Yep. Except that for me "Coke" refers to any brand of cola, and buggies maybe used to be for babies, but now strollers are. I refer to all facial tissues as "Kleenex." I refer to freeways by just their number or by their title ("Take Highway 4"; "Go on 680."), or sometimes with "I" for interstates ("Get off on I-80."), but never as "The 680."

Hair ties are for hair, and rubber bands are for wrapping around everything else. Elastic is in clothes.

I drink soda, but I'm not a big fan of colas like Coke.

I push a shopping cart and fill my grocery bags.

I stop at traffic lights, as opposed to stop lights, a term I've never understood, since they're often on green or yellow when I drive through.

We call it pop here in the mitten. :)

And cart, not buggy. No one around here calls it a buggy, that I've ever heard. Well, maybe little old ladies; and then it's cute. But mostly, it's a cart.

And I *do realize that I speak with a bit of a midewestern accent. But my stepson noticed, and it's true, that when we were in Gatlinburg for vacation this summer, I pick up a southern accent very quickly. It really bugs me, because I don't mean to do it. But dss thought it was cute. :D

ETA: I had to guess what you meant by 'elastics', because we don't say that at all. Rubber bands are those things that (used to) go around the news paper. Hair ties or pony tail holders are what we put in our hair.

Edited by bethanyniez

But do you get "in line" or "on line?" My dh travels with his business, and when people are lining up to buy his product, in certain parts of the country they get "on line." That was a new one for us.

FTW, I grew up in the midwest drinking coke or pop, but now that I live in the Southeast I drink soda. But I will always use a cart, not a buggy, and I've never heard of elastics.

But do you get "in line" or "on line?" My dh travels with his business, and when people are lining up to buy his product, in certain parts of the country they get "on line." That was a new one for us.

We drink fizzy drinks, use hair elastics in hair and rubber bands to wrap up other things, erase pencil marks with rubbers, wear pants under our trousers, push trolleys at the supermarket, put tonic into our gin, and never refer to our fannies.

Laura

Dh, who is from this area, drinks pop, puts grocery items in a buggy, and puts a gum band around things to hold them together. I drink soda (if it's HFCS free!), put my grocery items in a cart, and hold things together with a rubber band (unless it's my hair, in which case I use a hair tie). Dh and I both get in line to wait for things. I have noticed that he turns lights off, while I shut them off or put them out..... And we will never agree on the name of a certain sweet treat that he calls car-mul and I call care-uh-mel.:D

We rarely drink soda. Coke means Coca Cola brand soda. Tonic, I would mix with Gin, if I drank it. Most people in my hometown refer to sodas as pop.

Elastics. Wow. Not sure if that's meant to be a rubber band or a ponytail holder.

A four wheeled device for pushing a baby around is a stroller. We get a shopping cart at the grocery store. No buggies here.

We wait "in line" at the store. "On line" would be on the internet.

When we were kids you would "cut" in line. Often if you tried you got told, "No cuts!" or "No cutting!".

I ask for a tissue, not Kleenex, although a great many people around here use the name Kleenex when they mean tissue.

What about goosebumps? You know the raised bumps you got on your skin when you are cold? I've heard people call them "goosepimples".

And do you "swear" or "cuss"? We swear, but hopefully not when the kids are around, not too much anyway. I hate the sound of "cuss", maybe because it sounds too much like puss.

We drink soft drinks.

My girls wear bows in their hair and put their hair up with ponytail holders. We use rubber bands to wrap packages and stuff and sometimes the elastic in our clothes needs to be replaced.

We push a shopping cart into line and never cut in line unless someone asks us to go ahead.

Babies ride in strollers and horses pull buggies.

We ask for tissues for our noses.

We try not to cuss but sometimes do swear. They are interchangeable.

We get goosebumps when we're cold.

We're from the southeastern US but have spent time in the northeast and midwest.

Elastics. Wow. Not sure if that's meant to be a rubber band or a ponytail holder.

Now I'm wondering too. I assumed it meant rubber bands (which are used for various things, but mostly as play horse accessories for my dd or as slingshots by my ds). For hair, we use ponytail holders or twisters or hair thingys. :lol: