Menu

visiting houston, texas!

The Children's Museum of Houston is wonderful for those ages.

The Houston Zoo is nice as well. They will be opening a new section, the African Forest in early Dec 2010. If you go to the zoo, there is a fun miniature train to ride around Hermann Park. If the weather is good (and sometimes it is in January), there is a nice playground as well. You can rent paddle boats and go out on McGovern Lake (in Hermann Park) too. I believe you can get discount tickets to the zoo at the Fiesta grocery stores. The Fiesta stores are interesting places to visit as well. They sell many non-mainstream fruits and vegetables.

A stop for you would be the Homeschool Store. There is a play area (dollhouse w/figures and cars, books, TV) for the kids while you shop.

http://www.thehomeschoolstore.com/

If the weather is rainy (often), most of the malls have indoor play areas for the kids.

Guest Cindie2dds
The Children's Museum in Houston is excellent. We also really liked the beaches in Galveston. January in Houston, you might actually be able to enjoy playing at the beach. It's a bit of a drive though.

Yep, we are heading down to Galveston on Wednesday. It's not swimming weather, but you can enjoy the sand and the Strand down there. You don't really need to venture that far.

Herman Park is beautiful, especially this time of year.

The Science Museum is near there and amazing, even for young ones. There's lots of hands on as well as "jewel" pressing. A vise puts pressure on a stone to reveal the gem inside. Your child can have one done to take home for about $20.

Baba Yega's is my all time favorite restaurant anywhere. It has a great Sunday brunch.

Enjoy!

You can get a combined ticket to 7 big attractions. Here's a link:

http://www.citypass.com/houston?mv_source=partnerfusion&cmpid=google_Houston%20city%20pass%22%22%22%22%22%22%22%22&gclid=CMWQ-NvYtaUCFUPu7Qodrw8UXg

Most of them are kid friendly. I'd aim to visit the MFAH when they're having story time or creation station, but otherwise all the museums have something your kids will like. You can buy the City Pass at any of the participating museums and it really is a good deal compared to paying individual admissions.

I'd plan to eat at the Aquarium, it's quite an experience. You might also be able to get tickets to a show or a sports event. You can check Stubdog for deals.

My dc are older than your 3 year old, so I'm not sure about all of these suggestions for that age.

We have visited and enjoyed:

Childrens Museum is superb!!!

Houston Zoo

San Jacinto Battleground and USS Texas

Houston ship channel boat tours

NASA

and mean to get to:

Weather Museum

Museum of Fine Arts

Bayou Bend

underground passages in downtown Houston

We actually disliked the Aquarium -- it had an amusement park attached (you might like this) and, when we were there, there was a white tiger locked up (so to speak) in a smallish room, not a natural environment. That was so disturbing to me that I would never willing visit again.

Agree with pp that Galveston can be lovely in cooler weather. Moody Gardens and the Schlitterbahn waterpark are two attractions, though we just prefer walking on the beach.

Perhaps you can find a restaurant with mariachi music? In any case, I'd eat lots of Tex-Mex.

Don't forget the Homeschool Store!!!!!!! fabulous!

Perhaps Houstonites can tell you if there is a rodeo at the time you are visiting.

Edited by Alessandra

NASA.

If you want to drive a bit, the Washington-on-the-Brazos, where the Constitution of Texas was signed (while the folk at the Alamo were giving their lives to buy them the time to get it signed) is definitely worth a visit!

There is also a Blue Bell factory in Brenham, TX - though maybe too much for the 3 year old.

The butterfly exhibit at The Houston Museum of Natural Science is great for that age! The zoo and that museum are both in Hermann Park.

If you want a nice day trip - go to Brenham (1 1/2 hours northwest of Houston) - take a tour of Blue Bell Ice Cream. If it's nice weather see and pet the miniature horses at St. Clare Monastery, and stop by Washington-on-the-Brazos State Park at the history museum and they have some type of outdoor living farm as well.