Menu

Does anyone sub. IEW's KWO for SWB's summary outline?

Annabel Lee

I'm drawn to IEW for thoroughness, ease of use, and the ability to apply it across the curriculum; but I can't get past the KWO. I like SWB's way of outlining b/c it builds summary skills with the main idea or central narrative thread as the focus, and complete sentences to rewrite from. Does anyone keep SWB's summary outline and use it in place of the KWO (key word outline) with IEW? Is this easily possible, do you think? I wouldn't rewrite IEW for myself over it, if that's what going ahead w/ this idea would mean. Is the KWO too much of a cornerstone to cut out of IEW?

Edited by Annabel Lee

I'm drawn to IEW for thoroughness, ease of use, and the ability to apply it across the curriculum; but I can't get past the KWO. I like SWB's way of outlining b/c it builds summary skills with the main idea or central narrative thread as the focus, and complete sentences to rewrite from. Does anyone keep SWB's summary outline and use it in place of the KWO (key word outline) with IEW? Is this easily possible, do you think? I wouldn't rewrite IEW for myself over it, if that's what going ahead w/ this idea would mean. Is the KWO too much of a cornerstone to cut out of IEW?

Not at all, at least I don't think so. In fact, I was planning on skipping Units I and II (the only units that use KWO to rewrite a model) with my youngers. My oldest had trouble transition from KWO in the early units to outlining for FACTS and not REWRITING a model. I think you can definitely use and benefit from the program by skipping these units and focusing on the later units to actually compose papers (reports, essays, creative writing, etc). You can then use SWB's ideas for outlining content areas.

I am not an IEW purist, obviously. But I do feel strongly, and Pudewa states in his lectures, that IEW is not all or nothing. You can use their structure without feeling tied to all their stylistic techniques, and vice versa. My younger dd has thrived in IEW without getting bogged down in the KWO units early on.

Good luck,

lisa

Oh, that sounds so wonderful I could cry tears of happiness! Writing has been the bane of my homeschooling existence and I have floundered w/ it, insecure in my ability to teach it. So, having the KWO skills separated neatly into parts that I can easily leave out is great news. I'll have to call IEW now & ask how long their 100% satisfaction guarantee return policy is good for.

Oh, that sounds so wonderful I could cry tears of happiness! Writing has been the bane of my homeschooling existence and I have floundered w/ it, insecure in my ability to teach it. So, having the KWO skills separated neatly into parts that I can easily leave out is great news. I'll have to call IEW now & ask how long their 100% satisfaction guarantee return policy is good for.

After Units I and II, Pudewa moves onto the creative writing and reports, then reports from multiple sources, and essays. I have really benefited using these units with older dd, who finally is writing real papers across the curriculum.

Even in later units, Pudewa sticks with using key words instead of using complete sentences for outlining (although he relaxes a bit on only using 2-3 words). I do not stick closely to this and you could certainly pattern it after more traditional outlining.

Are you planning in using the parent directed videos (TWSS) or a student course (SWI)?

I'd like to just use the TWSS, but from what I read, it sounds like it takes the parent some time to learn the program well enough to implement it. If I end up needing to use SWIs or prewritten theme-based lessons until I get the hang of it, I'm not against it - I've never laid eyes on any of them anyhow. I've read that Lori V.'s are easiest to use, so I'd go that route if doing theme-based. I really want to try to use TWSS alone w/ our other subjects; that's my end goal if I really take the plunge and go for IEW.

They are in an IEW class for the second year in a row and within a month it was clear that one year of IEW was enough for them. It gave them a great jump start with writing but it was time to move on.

The class is part of a Classical Conversations Essentials program so I didn't want them to drop the class. I just have dss write WTM style outlines from the weekly source materials. Every so often they will ask to write an essay instead and I allow it.

The IEW materials work OK for this, but I plan to move them onto something meatier.

HTH