Menu

Bunk beds from Wal Mart?

Does anyone have the wood bunk beds from Wal Mart that are $199? We desperately need new beds (poor ds almost 6 is in a toddler bed that he is way too big for, and ds8 is in an Ikea twin bed that is broken at the foot so you can't sit there!). We have a small budget especially now right before Christmas.

These look nicer than the Ikea bunk beds. I have not been to a Wal Mart in ages, in my area they are few and far between but I can go see if they have any set up in one that is not too far. I am a bit worried about the durability of a $200 set of bunk beds. Should I go for a more expensive set or will this do fine for two active boys? Our previous Ikea bed experience was less than spectacular.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Elise-Bunk-Bed-Mahogany/10575814

I don't have this bunk bed set but in my experience, when it comes to furniture at Wal-Mart you get what you pay for. We bought the Nursery in a Box from Wal-Mart. This was the set that was recalled multiple times before they decided to just give complete refunds to anyone who had ever purchased one. The changing table and dresser were falling apart within months and the crib was a complete hazard (I still feel guilty for ever putting a baby in that!).

We have these beds and so far they have been ok. We have the most trouble with the kids breaking the slats under the mattresses. One kid has hers screwed down and she has little issues. The other bed has the slats loose and those are the ones getting broken.

I would say they would be fine for sleeping, but I would not suggest jumping on the beds or anything major like that.

I don't have this bunk bed set but in my experience, when it comes to furniture at Wal-Mart you get what you pay for.

:iagree: -- have you considered Craigslist? I have found some nice stuff on there for very reasonable prices. (I wouldn't buy "soft, upholstered furniture" but I would definitely look for bunk beds...)

If you happen to have a BJ's Warehouse membership, I can tell you that we got a set of bunkbeds there in August and are very pleased with their stability & design. If I remember correctly they were regularly $249, but we got them on sale for $199.

My experiences with walmart furniture (bookshelves, entertainment center) have been less than stellar.

We have very similar bunk beds that we bought about 4 years ago and they have held up great even after one move. No broken slats (we did screw them all in and no jumping allowed), and they are even sturdy enough for me to climb up to the top bunk to help with sheets. I like the fact that they are solid wood and that we could use them as separate beds in the future. We have been very happy with our purchase.

Did you read the reviews? They were overwhelmingly positive.

We don't have the bunkbeds, but we bought son the metal loftbed from Walmart, and it's great: very sturdy (he's about 110 pounds) and good-looking, def. worth the $150 or so we paid. I read the reviews and they were pretty much spot on.

thanks all - a bit mixed results. I did read the positive reviews but still not sure what to think. I may keep an eye out on Craigs List, or perhaps try them thinking for the price even if we get a year out of them then invest in sturdier ones it may work out.

We have two sets of these. Our boys have been using them for about 2 years (maybe a little longer) they've help up really well. Our boys are pretty rough on furniture, I've caught them hanging off the side of the bunk, swinging from the ladder, etc. This is really a solid piece of furniture. We've shuffled them from room to room a few times, disassembling and reassembling with no problems what-so-ever. The only issue we've ever had was when ds#3 was jumping on the bed and broke a couple of slats. We called the manufacturing company and they sent out new ones free of charge right away.

I say go for it, no regrets here.