Menu

If you were a bottle of brandy...

On the back of the shelf in the coat closet.

Is that for the family members who decide to hide in the closet to avoid company during the holidays?

If one is a closet drinker...do they need a glass or is it okay to drink straight from the bottle?

Anywhere that might prevent me from being used on a fruitcake?

I was gonna say that! :lol: Waaaaay in the back of some really, dark cabinet. One that you would never think to look in. Behind the sheets maybe. In the garage. Or I commited suicide and threw myself in the trash or recycle bin. Anything not to made into fruitcake.

I must say that you brandy bottles were all very creative in trying to avoid becoming fruitcake! My bottle was naughtily hiding under the kitchen sink, but not in the typical fashion--it was a brand new bottle hiding horizontally in a plastic bag. Tsk, tsk!

I like fruitcake, too, but am not too fond of the store stuff. This recipe was given to me by a friend and I do like it, which is a good thing since I'm the only one in the family that does. I've made it with the prepackaged mixed chopped fruits and add extra whole cherries because it looks pretty that way. Also, I cut way back on the raisins and/or currants. It makes a lot so unless you really like fruitcake or plan to give it away, I'd cut it in half.

Christmas Cake

From Cooking from the British Isles cookbook

1 pound citron

½ pound combined candied orange and lemon peel

½ pound dates

½ pound candied cherries

3 ¾ cups raisons

2 ¾ cups currants

1 pound combined almonds, pecan, walnuts, coarsely chopped

¾ cups brandy

1 pound brown sugar

1 pound butter, softened

15 egg yolks, beaten until thick

4 cups sifted all-purpose flour

1 tbs cinnamon

1 tbs ground cloves

1 tbs allspice

1 tbs nutmeg

½ tsp mace

16 egg whites, beaten until stiff

Chop the citron, orange and lemon peel, dates, and cherries. Add the raisons and currents and chopped nuts. Pour on the brandy and let the fruits marinate while preparing the rest of the ingredients.

Cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the beaten eggs yolks gradually, beating constantly.

Reserve 1 cup of the flour and combine the remaining 3 cups with the spices. Add the sifted ingredients to the butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in the whites carefully.

Sprinkle the fruits with the reserved 1 cup of flour and mix well.

Fold fruits into batter.

Oil and line pans (I used 4 bread pans, but you can use 12 small pans or 2 large round pans) with wax paper. Place batter in pans and bake in a 300 degree oven with pans of hot water on the bottom of the oven for 1.5 hours for the small pans or 2.5 hours for the large pans. Cool the cakes and wrap them in cheesecloth that has been soaked in brandy. Place in airtight containers and store until ready to use. Every 3 weeks, redip the cheesecloth wrappers in brandy.

BTW – based on my mother’s method, I wrap the cheeseclothed cakes in wax paper and then wrap in tin foil for 3 weeks.