Menu

Ok, so Mucinex is not helping at all. Ideas?

I don't normally do much medicating for a cold but with Thanksgiving coming up and one of the grandmothers going through chemo and radiation, I was really trying to knock out this cold that all three boys have. They've been taking Mucinex Cough since last Wednesday and their cough is as bad as it was the first day. Nothing has improved one bit. 5 days of medicine and they are still super congested, runny nose and coughing??

I'd really like to try and help them faster since they already are going to have to miss seeing that grandmother (not worth the risk). I'd like to help them enjoy Thanksgiving, at least. I can't possibly tell you the last time they even had a cold. They have no fever, no real body aches; just lots of congestion and mostly in their sinuses rather than chest.

Ideas? We have so very, very few colds so I'm not really fluent in what to do with them. :) I feel like I'm probably asking an elementary question but I really want to help them faster, if possible.

Can you describe the cough?

Dry/hacking

Wet/productive or non-productive

Does it come in bouts and they can't catch their breath?

It is a tickle cough that is just there under the surface?

Do they have post nasal drip that is running down their throat?

Do they have sinus pressure?

Congestion?

Dry sinuses?

Do they feel like they have a hard time breathing even when they aren't coughing?

Do they 'bark' when they cough?

Is is better or worse during different times of day?

Do things like moist heat (shower/warm bath) or cool air (going outside) make a difference?

Can you describe the cough?

Yes, I think so :)

Dry/hacking

Wet/productive or non-productive

Dry and, I would say non-productive

Does it come in bouts and they can't catch their breath?

Not really. More just sporadic

It is a tickle cough that is just there under the surface?

I would say more like this

Do they have post nasal drip that is running down their throat?

Yes, it gags them sometimes

Do they have sinus pressure?

They don't say much about it but I would guess there is at least some

Congestion?

There doesn't seem to be anything to their chest at all

Dry sinuses?

How do you know? This morning my 12yr old said his nasal passages were burning.

Do they feel like they have a hard time breathing even when they aren't coughing?

No

Do they 'bark' when they cough?

No, I wouldn't say so.

Is is better or worse during different times of day?

Always much worse in evening and night.

Do things like moist heat (shower/warm bath) or cool air (going outside) make a difference?

Moist heat, showers, make them really drain.

I vote a trip to teh doc to check for walking pnuemonia/mycoplasma. Bronchitis is also a possibility. Both can be helped with an antibiotic.

I am NOT saying abx are the answer, but with three kids, all with the same gunk for almost a week, I would consider a trip to the doc.

That said, garlic, vitamin C, echinaccea, sambucol are all helpful. Also, you can do vick's vaporub on their feet, or hot socks. You can google for specifics.

I think if my kids had a persistant cough for 5 days and the cold meds were not doing anything to help even temporarily I would take them to the dr to make sure we hadn't crossed from cold into a sinus infection or other infection that would require antibiotics. If the dr said it was still just a cold I would try a different cold med, if it is something else then it can be dealt with accordingly. That said no matter what it is, it doesn't sound like it will likely be gone my thanksgiving, which means I think staying away from grandma is the best course of action.