Menu

a new type of b-day party--

I'm not generally put off by these types of things, but I guess this sort of rubs me weird.

I could see cash for a wedding. Or a 16 year old (car?) or 18 year old (college?) or something like that. But other than that, I'd raise my eyebrows a bit. I'd still go, and give cash, though. I judge silently LOL.

Yuck..

I can appreciate some people hating to pick out gifts, but overall I think there's some good lessons in being in tune with your loved ones, to pamper, surprise, to listen and remember when they mention something they're fond of. I think it's important to know how to be a gracious receiver too.

It's not just about stuff.

I don't have a problem with a kid preferring cash.

Edited by helena

I find that tacky also. Since when is it polite to request birthday presents from your guests? Sure it's nice to receive gifts, but to dictate what people are to give you? I would probably decline the invitation (though I most likely wouldn't have the guts to tell them why!)

I think it's a regional thing about not liking this. Where I live, presents (physical wrapped gifts) would be seen as strange -esp for a 15 yo. They want to save for their cars, whathave you. I think it may be strange for you because the parents are stating it's a cash party-because in your area that type of gift giving is not the norm-but here it it wouldn't be stated because it would be the norm of the gift.

If you really feel uncomfortable, just decline the invite.

Tacky. Now we would usually give a teenager money, because who knows what they would want. But requiring that to be a cash gift is tacky.

We went to a b-day party this weekend for a young lady 7yo, where instead of a gift we were asked to bring a can good that would be donated to a food pantry. It was refreshing.

Interesting.

I have noticed the trend lately with the parties my two oldest get invited to is "Your presence is enough of a gift" or "Now that she's driving, Susie would love a $5 gift card to ...if you want to bring a gift."

I don't think cash parties would be well received around here!

I think it's tacky to include gift requests with *any* invitation. I would only make a request if the guest called and asked, "So, what's ds into these days?" Then, I might say something like, "Well, he's not really expecting a gift, he'd just love to have your ds come hang out and have fun. I know it's hard to choose a gift for a teenager. He spends most of his free time reading books, or skateboarding. He's also saving for a _________, and I know he'd appreciate some help with that."

If I knew the kid would spend the money on something worthwhile, and not drugs or beer or something like that, I don't have a problem with it. Way easier than trying to think of and then going to buy something they may not like. But....if the kid was not walking a straight line (no pun intended) I wouldn't ever give him/her money. I would feel funny telling people "cash only" but I know my daughters would rather have the cash than something else.