Menu

Who else is choosing to spend Thanksgiving with only immediate family?

Me! [raises hand]

I always said Christmas was my favorite day of the year, but it may actually be Thanksgiving. I *love* it being just the three of us. I've been making Thanksgiving dinner for 15 years now and there's a such a nice, soothing rhythm to it. I know just what to start when. I know what my favorite dishes are, the dh's, the ds's.

I like the three of us spending the day putting up the tree and decorating it and the house for Christmas while the smell of turkey permeates the house. It's just lovely.

We have enjoyed our Thanksgivings with just our little family. We stay in pjs all day, cook all morning, listen to Christmas music, decorate the tree, eat, sleep, eat more, bake more, eat more and then go to bed. We love it! Now we have family that has moved nearby and they want to have thanksgiving together :glare: Our kids will most likely disappear with their kids and play their video games all day. I don't like going to their house and our house is too small. What to do... what to do... :confused:

I am so thankful for this thread. I was thinking that I must be weird for wanting to have Thanksgiving dinner with my own immediate (living in my house family). I am beginning to think about doing it Christmas Day too.

We are spending this Thanksgiving with my father and step mother as we usually do, however, I plan to make a formal announcement that this will be our last year. My step mother cooks the turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes and everyone else is supposed to bring something. I bring rolls, vegetable side dishes (2) and deviled eggs (her idea). My married, mother of one kid sister brings a bought pie. My 40 year old unmarried step brother peels and mashes the potatoes but brings nothing and eats like a pig. My brother doesn't show up, so we spend the moments before sitting down to eat wondering whether they are coming. My step mother who has a cleaning lady and only cooks this one portion of a meal per year always *****es that I have so many kids, I should host.

I want to cook for my own 7 family members who live in my house for Thanksgiving. My kids are getting older (oldest is 13) and I want to start our own family tradition. My daughter (age 11) is very interested in cooking now, so I think next year, she and I cooking Thanksgiving dinner together will be so much fun, and I want to start this tradition now so that they will want to come home for my Thanksgiving dinner.

I don't want the drama of my father and his wife and my mother and her husband, even though for the most part they all get along. I can't, however, have my father in law and his wife along with my mother in law who all hate each other. So ridiculous. And then you get jealously if you invite one and not the other.

I understand why growing up, I hated the holidays.

Probably our last whole immediate family Thanksgiving. Next year, the oldest two will be away for college and at most, I can only see one of them coming home, if that. Then there will only be three of us. I don't know what we will do then but maybe eat out again. We have done that some years since occasionally we are moving at that time or we are going on a vacation.

We're spending Thanksgiving by ourselves this year. We usually have a few of my husband's Marines over, but this year everyone is spending the holiday with their families. While I love having a crowd, I'm very happy they are able to get home.

We'll watch the parade, go for a hike, play some games, watch a movie and have a fire in the fireplace. We've got a fun day planned!

My husband and I take our girls and go to Cracker Barrel for Thanksgiving. I used to cook for my ENTIRE immediate family. Yes, one person, me, cooking for at least 14 or 16 people. The last year I did it, I was 35 weeks pregnant with Cora, and I decided never again. So we have gone to Cracker Barrel every year since then. In the next couple of years (when I get over my rebellion), I will probably cook again, but just for us. ;)

We have done this since 1996 and LOVE it! We usually go to a new release movie after lunch. My sons call it our tradition. Why mess with a good thing. LOL

Since moving to SC almost 4 yrs ago, it's just the 5 of us. I cook some the night before, and most of the morning. I miss seeing the family and sitting around afterwards chatting with everyone, but it's really nice to just spend the entire day together with MY family! I don't have to worry about everything being perfect, or getting all dressed up! Just us and a big table of food! What more could you want?!?!