Menu

Anonymous Poll: Do you text or talk on the cell phone while driving?

Texting or Cell Phone Use while driving?  

1. 1. Texting or Cell Phone Use while driving?

• Yes, I have texted while driving
    • No, I have not texted while driving
    • Yes, I have used a cell phone while driving
    • No, I have not used a cell phone while driving
    • Ubiquitous other

This is the real one, folks! I'm not feeling up to par and my poll set up skills show this. This poll is anonymous and allows for more than one response.

I will admit to having talked on the cell phone for short calls while driving. I do not text. Hands free operations do not count in this poll. This poll is anonymous.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

I have never texted while driving.

I have used the cell phone very sparingly. I have dropped the phone in my lap in order to turn before -- that's how careful I am about talking on the phone while driving. I have only used it for a quick, "I'm on my way" sort of thing and never while in traffic. I'm just not a cell-phone user, really, and I rarely even talk on the phone at home.

I guess that's the benefit of having so few friends, LOL.

I don't text while driving... I honestly don't see how people can even manage it. I have answered the phone while driving before (if I am running late and it is the person I am meeting calling) and talk on speaker. Otherwise, I ignore it, let the kids answer it, or pull over. If I have to make a call, I pull off somewhere first.

I answered yes to having texted and yes to having used the phone.

On the texting....I've done it a very small handful of times when I've been in very slow moving traffic to text one word answers to dh (yes, no, OK, etc.)

Living in CA, it is now illegal to use the phone while driving without a hands free device. So, I used to talk before the law and if I talk now, it's on my blue tooth.:)

I have used the cell phone very sparingly. I have dropped the phone in my lap in order to turn before -- that's how careful I am about talking on the phone while driving. I have only used it for a quick, "I'm on my way" sort of thing and never while in traffic. I'm just not a cell-phone user, really, and I rarely even talk on the phone at home.

:iagree:

I've texted while driving but only at red lights or when it was real slow and not moving. It's not unusal for me to hand dd or a passenger my phone and tell her to text something for me while driving. I've talked while driving before too but I would never, ever attempt that where I live now.

I can honestly say if my car is moving, I have never texted. Tho I will text while at a long stop light something like, "k" or "on way home" or "driving later"

I can count on one hand how often I've spoken on the phone while driving.

I am notorious for hanging up on people, including dh, if I call them or they call me while they are driving. The minute I figure it out, I say, "oh your driving, well call me back when you are stop driving." click.

If my phone rings while I'm driving, I tell the kids to pick it up and say I'm driving and I'll call them back when I get where I'm going.

I have sent exactly one text in my entire life. I did it in my dining room; I did it just to see what the big deal way - it was such a pain to type everything out (and then you still have to dial the number! So, why not just call the person :confused:) Well, anyway, I don't see me sending too many more in this lifetime. And there's NO way I could do it and drive.

I have used the phone while driving, but I don't do it often or for very long; I'm just not cool enough to listen and talk, hold the phone with one hand, the wheel with the other, and stay attentive to the road. Actually, I hung up on dd last night after I left the grocery store because it had gotten dark outside while I was in there and I was trying to find the on-ramp to the highway and she was distracting me.

It's not illegal to do so in my state.

I talk and text in the car, but not necessarily while actively DRIVING. I usually hand the phone over to one of my kids, and they'll answer the call or reply to the text.

I think it's a distraction/response-time thing, so IMO using a bluetooth wouldn't really be much different than just holding the phone. In fact, if one needed to react quickly I'd think dropping the phone would be more helpful than trying to concentrate on acting quickly with someone babbling in your ear. At least for me, it would. I'm not comforted that people use a bluetooth over just holding the phone, anyhow.

I confess I've talked on the cell phone while driving. I justify it because my hands stay free, once I've made the call I hold the phone between my shoulder and ear. I'm very capable of multi tasking and often talk for long periods while doing other things around the house.

I don't own a cell phone. Occasionally, when I am away for a weekend (visiting family or friend), dh will loan me his phone. If I am driving on the highway for a long period, I will make a call to catch up with a friend or other family member. I've done that 2x this year. It helps keep me awake, too. I much prefer dh driving.

I talk on the cell phone while driving.

If I need to text or find directions or such, I have a dd do it.

We are frequently on busy roads. Of those who are swerving into other lanes (which seems to happen a lot,) they are either texting, reading papers (or books!!), or trying to grab something from the passenger or back seat. I think we should outlaw those things. :D

Edited by angela in ohio

I will call people when I drive, though I will put the phone in my lap for certain intersections (there is one where you have to make a right and then a left in about 12 feet, and i need my other hand to switch the turn signal over when I am there). I also need both hands to park the car, but other than that, I am fine with chatting on the phone. I do not have a texting plan so I never send texts no matter where I am, I find it quicker to call people.

I rarely use the phone while driving also. I will make a call if I'm literally out in the middle of nowhere where the only thing I need to look out for is deer. I've been known have a kid answer it or, if I'm alone, answer, say "I"m driving, I'll call you later" and hang right up.

I don't even talk to passengers in heavy traffic. Too much audio distraction seems to make it hard for me to see straight. (I'm pretty sure I'm ADD--I've never needed more than my own thoughts to distract me...)

I have sent exactly one text in my entire life. I did it in my dining room; I did it just to see what the big deal way - it was such a pain to type everything out (and then you still have to dial the number! So, why not just call the person :confused:) Well, anyway, I don't see me sending too many more in this lifetime. And there's NO way I could do it and drive.

I have used the phone while driving, but I don't do it often or for very long; I'm just not cool enough to listen and talk, hold the phone with one hand, the wheel with the other, and stay attentive to the road. Actually, I hung up on dd last night after I left the grocery store because it had gotten dark outside while I was in there and I was trying to find the on-ramp to the highway and she was distracting me.

It's much easier on the newer phones with keyboards. I just upgraded from a previous model that was seven years old. What a difference. I still don't text, but I can see the appeal.

Haven't read the replies, so hope I don't get tar'd and feather'd (did any kittens just die?), but I have both texted and used the phone when driving. I just told a friend the other day that there are other things that to me (when I do them) are just as or more dangerous, like filling out the deposit envelope using the steering wheel as my "table" and unwrapping the Chicken Fajita Pita from JIB and eating it. And even with those I stay completely aware and focused on the road (saying that because I'm not sure why people focused on texting/calling in these new laws, when there are other things that are distracting too), and I can text almost without looking at the phone. When I call/drive, I use speaker phone (although the phone is still in my hand).

ETA - to the gal who doesn't see the value in texting, it's true the QWERTY keyboards and quick dial phones make a huge difference. I love texting -- dh and I find we are communicating more throughout the day than before texting. It's so much easier to send a quick "Good morning! What's your plan today?" or a "What time will you be home? Dinner will be ready..." than to call (he's not often at a place in his project where he can take a call). I think it's healthier too, technically. The cell phone isn't transmitting up by your brain, which is where the concern lies.

Edited by milovaný

I talk on the phone while driving but I've never texted while driving. I don't feel I've been compromised while talking. I don't think talking on a phone is any more dangerous than those who eat and drive, or put on makeup while driving, or shave while driving, or turn their heads to yell in backseat while driving or..... I've had one accident in my life and I was 18 and had no cell phone. My dad and brother were killed in a car accident ten years ago because a 16 year old did a rolling stop through a stop sign. He was totally sober and had no cell phone in the car. There are many dangers out there and I do feel texting while driving is a huge one because it requires too much that takes away from driving. I don't think just talking on the phone ranks as high. At least not over my other examples which no one seems to louldy protest.

Isn't looking down at your phone to dial a number just as distracting as texting?

If my cell rings when I'm in the car, I either pull over or let it go to voicemail and then call back when fully stopped (of course, I don't pull over on major highways!) I think everyone should do the same; the roads would be a much safer place to be.

Edited by dmmosher

I am absolutely opposed to both. I do not answer the phone when driving. If I need to call someone and I am by myself, I pull over somewhere to make the call. If I have a child in the car with me, I will ask them to answer a call or dial a number and then do the talking for me if I need to talk to someone while driving. This is most likely to happen when I am traveling and need travel info or to give a status update. I have on a very few occasions made a call while driving when it was very important and I felt that I could make the call safely (like when traffic is stopped or moving very slow because of an accident or construction or something like that).

Isn't looking down at your phone to dial a number just as distracting as texting?

Not if you have voice activated dialing. :001_smile: I don't even have to look at the phone to do that.

To answer the OP, I do talk on the phone while driving, but never text while driving. I'll text at a long stop light, or I'll dictate my text to dd and she enters and sends it. I won't initiate a call if I'm driving during a busy time of day, but I might answer, depending on who it is.

I used to talk on the phone while driving before it was illegal in CA but I never texted while driving.

Now I only talk on the phone when I'm in a state where it is still legal.

:iagree: I never talk on the phone here in California. For some reason, whenever I am in another state, I just can't seem to resist.

Cell phone? yes

Text? yes

Other? Yes

What is other? listen to books on cd, watched (really listened to) movies, play I Spy with My Little Eye and the Alphabet Game, collected states on a map (license plates), used the internet, worked on (hand) sewing projects, listen to music, chat with friends/family . . .

I don't tend to talk on the cell phone or text (almost never, actually) but I have done it while driving.

I answered no and no on the poll. The only cell phone use that I do while driving is, if dh calls while I'm driving, I can slide the phone open to answer it, leave it on the seat next to me, and shout that I'm driving and either to wait a minute for me to find a place to pull over, or that I'll phone him back in a few minutes. I never, never hold the phone and speak while driving.

All of my needed phone numbers are programmed into my phone. I don't *know* the numbers of most of my friends and family, lol, though I did make a point of memorizing dh's just in case.

I don't find it any more distracting than changing the radio station or uncapping a bottle of water.

As much as I agree with the fact that people need to be more cautious and driving needs to be taken more seriously, I do have a problem with the "extra" laws. It's just as important for people to put down the newspaper, quit fiddling with the GPS, stop playing with their CD changer or iPod, and wait to rummage through their purse until they've pulled over. But we rely on criteria that's already in existence for determining fault and defining distracted/careless driving instead of outlawing each and every individual distraction. Cell phone usage falls under that category, imo.

If my cell rings when I'm in the car, I either pull over or let it go to voicemail and then call back when fully stopped (of course, I don't pull over on major highways!) I think everyone should do the same; the roads would be a much safer place to be.

I can't remember the last time I dialed a number on my cell. I put people I call regularly into my contacts list.

I know my limitations and know that I'm not a good enough driver to talk or text while driving. I really just can't focus on more than one thing at a time.

That being said, I've talked on the phone a few times while driving...only if I knew someone was expecting me and was calling to see where I was. Now that ds is 11 I have him answer the phone while I'm driving.

I voted Yes on both, because I have talked on the cell while driving and texted while at a stop light. I used to do so frequently, though never texting while the car was actually in motion, just while stopped in traffic.

However, I no longer do so. I stopped less than a year ago. If the poll had asked "Do you" instead of "Have you" I would have been able to say No to both.

I rode with a friend recently who was texting while we were driving down the freeway. :svengo: I said, "Let me do that for you!"

Cat