Menu

Obscure things I'm thankful for....

Of course I am very thankful for Jesus Christ as my Savior, my husband, and my children, but lately I've been considering all the things I take for granted that I am SO thankful for.

One thing is clean water; my dh is a civil engineer employed at a municipal water department. He sees firsthand how complicated it is to have clean water and the sewage to be properly disposed of. Do you have any idea how many people die because of lack of access to clean water? Try 3.575 MILLION. One in 5 children under age 5 die world wide from diarrhea. And dirty water is the second leading cause of that diarrhea. I don't even think about it. I Just turn a handle and expect the water to be clean. When you think about it, that is something to be so thankful for. And at my house, nobody has to fetch it from the spring, well, or creek.

Another thing I'm thankful for are my household appliances... to cook dinner, I turn on a knob. To wash my dishes I press a button and PRESTO...in about an hour they are done. If the house is a bit chilly I flip a switch. Nobody has to cut wood, find kindling, or start it up in the morning. And don't get me started on how thankful I am for hot water heaters. Ours had to be repaired this summer and boy! Was I glad when it was finally fixed!

Anyone else want to chime in on obscure things they are thankful for?

I'm thankful for clean water, too, now that I have it! Now, it's not potable, but it's okay for showers!

And I'm thankful for kitchen appliances, as well. Lots of people around here cook outside over a fire built on scrounged up wood. I'm glad I have a stove... especially since it's rainy season. How do you cook over a fire in the rain? You don't.

These aren't obscure things here! A lot of people here don't have them!

I'm thankful for air. lol Right now, I am really sick but I can breathe more than I could a couple days ago. Breathing is so nice.

Oh,and I'm thankful I don't live in a damp hut made of scrap wood and an old tarp, despite the recent missionary debate here. If I did, I'd probably be in the hospital right now. Oh, wait, I couldn't do that either, because several people here don't think I should have anything that the locals don't have, and the locals can't go to the hospital. I'd be dead then? Yikes.

My shower - both the fact that I can have one without pouring water over my head and that I get one each morning.

Warmth in the winter. (Flannel Sheets :001_smile:)

Our own place. We rent, but at least we live with our own furniture, use our own kitchen utensils/pots and pans, and drive our own car. I'm so appreciative of that - T'wasn't ever thus!

Fairly healthy kids - we're not in need of any constant, advanced therapy or medication/supplements right now.

Promotional Kohl's gift cards that let me get the girls mittens and gloves for this winter.

I could go on, but that would be boring . . .

Mama Anna

Of course I am very thankful for Jesus Christ as my Savior, my husband, and my children, but lately I've been considering all the things I take for granted that I am SO thankful for.

One thing is clean water; my dh is a civil engineer employed at a municipal water department. He sees firsthand how complicated it is to have clean water and the sewage to be properly disposed of. Do you have any idea how many people die because of lack of access to clean water? Try 3.575 MILLION. One in 5 children under age 5 die world wide from diarrhea. And dirty water is the second leading cause of that diarrhea. I don't even think about it. I Just turn a handle and expect the water to be clean. When you think about it, that is something to be so thankful for. And at my house, nobody has to fetch it from the spring, well, or creek.

Another thing I'm thankful for are my household appliances... to cook dinner, I turn on a knob. To wash my dishes I press a button and PRESTO...in about an hour they are done. If the house is a bit chilly I flip a switch. Nobody has to cut wood, find kindling, or start it up in the morning. And don't get me started on how thankful I am for hot water heaters. Ours had to be repaired this summer and boy! Was I glad when it was finally fixed!

Anyone else want to chime in on obscure things they are thankful for?

:iagree:I'm also grateful for my laptop and wi-fi, coupons, my mom who adores my kids and buys them things I cannot, and my roomy french door fridge.

Mattresses. Have you read historical fiction based on older times when people slept on a pallet or just some straw?!

:iagree::iagree: With a bad back and bad hip joints, I can't imagine how much MORE uncomfortable I'd be every day of my life if I didn't have a good mattress to sleep on. I'm very gratefull for a mattress, a soft pillow, and a warm blanket. Millions of people do not have such.

digital photography.

It's amazing to be able to record the amazing moments, but also the ho-hum day-to-day events. We have preserved so many more memories because we don't have to buy and print film. This is important to us, as our family is geographically separated and sometimes digital images are the only glimpses we have into each other's lives.

I am thankful for hearing aids. When I first found out how bad my hearing really was and I had another significant drop in my hearing, I really went through a very dark period in my life. I withdrew from a lot of people and social situations because it was just too hard to try to communicate. I went about four years knowing I needed hearing aids but not being able to afford them. When our insurance coverage changed and we were able to get coverage for hearing aids, I was so excited. When I finally got them, the aids literally changed my life! My hearing loss was having such a profound on my relationships and my self-esteem. I don't know where I would be without them!