Menu

When did the term,"get saved" get started?

I was speaking with a woman yesterday and she mentioned she "got saved" at 8 years old. I've heard this alot visiting many different Protestant denominations through the years but never could really grasp this for myself(I believe in something a bit different about this but we won't get into that here:001_smile:)..It got me thinking when I got home on the historical context of this term and when churches started to use this...does anyone know?

And please, this is just a question..I truely mean no disrespect if someone believes they got saved at such and such time...I'm just curious if the early Protestant churches did this or is this relatively new?

The Greek word "sozo" (saved, salvation) is in the New Testament. You can do a word search and find lots of examples where it is used. The term "get saved" is a Christian colloquialism based on those verses/terms much like the Christian colloquialism "born again". They aren't used verbatim in the modern sense in the Bible but the idea/meaning has its root there.

The Greek word "sozo" (saved, salvation) is in the New Testament. You can do a word search and find lots of examples where it is used. The term "get saved" is a Christian colloquialism based on those verses/terms much like the Christian colloquialism "born again". They aren't used verbatim in the modern sense in the Bible but the idea/meaning has its root there.

Yeah, what she said. The gospels are full of "repent and be saved."

I guess I'm truly puzzled.....this concept and terminology comes straight from scripture, both Old Testament and New. Matt 1:21 tells us it was the whole reason Christ came. You could also look at Matt 18:11, Luke 7:50, Jn 3:17, Jn 12:47, Acts 2:47....and on and on. It is literally all over the bible.It is synonymous with believing in Christ (for salvation from sin), having faith in Christ (his death/resurrection for our sin) etc. Although there are many who may not be able to point to a particular moment at which they believed, there are many that can certainly point to such a time. The Apostle Paul for one, but there are many others in the NT, during the time of Christ, and in the early church that had a certain point where they repented and "believed"..the Acts 2:47 verse comes to mind on this one. I would encourage you to read through the bible, or at least do a study and trace the word...you'll certainly come to understand the context, and why the word continues to be used, even if you choose to believe something differently. HTH,

Kayleen

Actually, "sozo" means "I save," first person active indicative, not "saved" or "salvation," much less "get saved."

"Be saved," "have been saved," "will be saved," etc are found in several translations and have been around for years. The term "get saved" is different and I never heard it before about 1980. A search of the BibleGateway.com did not have the term in any of the translations I checked.

The term "get saved" is a Christian colloquialism based on those verses/terms much like the Christian colloquialism "born again".

I suspect the OP wanted to know when this particular colloquialism started, not the Biblical basis of salvation.

Actually, "sozo" means "I save," first person active indicative, not "saved" or "salvation," much less "get saved."

"Be saved," "have been saved," "will be saved," etc are found in several translations and have been around for years. The term "get saved" is different and I never heard it before about 1980. A search of the BibleGateway.com did not have the term in any of the translations I checked.

I suspect the OP wanted to know when this particular colloquialism started, not the Biblical basis of salvation.

I should have said "sozo" and it's cognates. I did not feel like typing them all out.

:iagree:

I think some of it is semantics. Rereading the OP, though, I stick with what I said- no one in my church would announce they "Got saved at 8". My church practices infant baptism and when it is talked about it is more along the lines of, "I was baptized, I am baptized, I am saved" ect.

Most likely from the tent meetings during the revivalist period of the 1800's.

Saying "I got saved" (meaning a one-moment-in-time OSAS type of salvation) is probably much-tied to whenever it was that the "sinner's prayer" came around -- which likely could have been during the tent revival period.

Edited by milovaný

Just to clarify, I know what it means it just sounds *different*, ywim?

I'm an Orthodox Christian but attend a Catholic church(so that may help you understand where I'm coming from)...

I guess when those instances come up, I'm just curious when that got started and how that trancended from ancient churches beliefs to now claiming *I'm saved!*...she also made comments about attending a church service this weekend and someone blowing on her and she fell down...so obviously, we go to very, very different churches:lol:

Just to clarify, I know what it means it just sounds *different*, ywim?

I'm an Orthodox Christian but attend a Catholic church(so that may help you understand where I'm coming from)...

I guess when those instances come up, I'm just curious when that got started and how that trancended from ancient churches beliefs to now claiming *I'm saved!*...she also made comments about attending a church service this weekend and someone blowing on her and she fell down...so obviously, we go to very, very different churches:lol:

Yes, it's a different concept from "I was saved 2000yrs ago, I am being saved daily, and I will be saved at the judgment" that is historically used. This concept of a specific event, at a specific moment in a person's life is rendered more from a modern picking at verses in the English wording without the whole. (oops, I think I just dumped the can of worms)