Menu

When I saw your title, I immediately thought of Les Mis because it's taken me almost an entire year to read it. I started it in around February, and I have less than 100 pages left. It will certainly keep you occupied for a while.

When I finish it I'm going to go back to Don Quixote, which I put down after my 6yo was born. DQ is definitely more entertaining imo, but Les Mis fits better into the high-brow-snotty-literature category. ;)

Two others to consider that I really liked are A Tale of Two Cities and War and Peace.

Les Miserables would be my choice.

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I'm still working on DQ, and have been all year.

My New Year's Resolution in 2010 was to read a BIG book (big in number of pages and big as high-brow-snotty-Literature :tongue_smilie:). I did it and now I'm on the hunt for a BIG book for 2011. I posted a thread a while back looking for input on the Russians, but I still cannot decide. Here's my current list, so please vote for your favorite. (FYI, I mostly read brainless mystery/thrillers for stress busting. Reading the Classics is a s-t-r-e-t-c-h, so I want the most bang for my buck :D)

Les Miserables (French)

Don Quixote (Spanish)

Brothers Karamazov or Crime & Punishment (Russian)

Moby Dick (American)

Little Dorritt (English)

Ulysses (Irish)

Any other ideas for parts of the world I've missed are welcome as well. :lurk5:

I say Anna Karenina. It's just great.

But dh would say Proust. He's always been pretty well read. However, he used to feel like all the books he hadn't read were mocking him until he spent the whole year a few years back reading the entirety of Remembrance of Things Past. Now, whenever I'm like, oh you haven't read such-and-such a classic book he says in this playground tone, "But I'm read PROUST!":lol:

The only one on your list I've read is Les Miserables, although the 2 Russian ones are on my list of to-reads. I haven't read Little Dorrit although I've read several other Dickens books that I've enjoyed. David Copperfield is really good if you haven't read that yet.

Moby Dick. Somebody has to support this one. It took me a year to read it the first time. I am on track to finish it in a month the second time. I had to read it with a dictionary and some Power Moby Dick notes and a couple of trips here for advice. I decided last year to start tackling hard books that make me think instead of consuming easier books. I started with Melville because he's American; I haven't decided what I'm reading next year. And he is perfect for reading right before bed, he's helped me with my insomnia. ;)

Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored harborless immensities. - Melville

My New Year's Resolution in 2010 was to read a BIG book (big in number of pages and big as high-brow-snotty-Literature :tongue_smilie:). I did it and now I'm on the hunt for a BIG book for 2011. I posted a thread a while back looking for input on the Russians, but I still cannot decide. Here's my current list, so please vote for your favorite. (FYI, I mostly read brainless mystery/thrillers for stress busting. Reading the Classics is a s-t-r-e-t-c-h, so I want the most bang for my buck :D)

Les Miserables (French)

Don Quixote (Spanish)

Brothers Karamazov or Crime & Punishment (Russian)

Moby Dick (American)

Little Dorritt (English)

Ulysses (Irish)

Any other ideas for parts of the world I've missed are welcome as well. :lurk5:

Read Les Mis! You'll love it!

ETA: After you read it, see if you can find a good production of it to go see. We saw it on Broadway in around '94 I think. I had already read the book, and the production was magical.

I've read Ulysses twice (I've read lots of Irish Literature). If you read it, it really helps to have a companion book that explains it. We did this for a college class on Ulysses. The companion book was thicker than Ulysses. It basically goes line by line or paragraph by paragraph and explains every reference. So you read some Ulysses and then read what it means. If that doesn't appeal to you, then you might want to skip Ulysses.

I dislike Melville. I like some Russian lit, but couldn't do War Peace (too much war for me). I enjoyed reading Les Mis. I've read excerpts or big chunks of Don Q, but don't think I'd like to read the whole thing. I've never read little Dorritt, but I find Dickens very readable. I have seen the Masterpiece Theatre version - good story but saaaad. Of course Le Mis is sad too.

Good luck picking.

Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored harborless immensities. - Melville

I'd have to translate it into ordinary English while wading through it. Doesn't that quote mean: The ship is at sea. Pretty soon we won't be able to see land.

Or, I could look for the Golden Book version. :-)

I vote for Brothers Karamazov (one of my favorite books ever). I like it much better than Crime & Punishment. Les Mis would be my second choice.

The Landmark Thucydidies. I can only really concentrate on it 10 pages at a time, and I'm reading aloud. Poetry in motion if you take the time.

That's next on my list, too — I just ordered it from Amazon last week. I love the Landmark books, I have Herodotus & Xenophon, too. They just published The Landmark Arrian a couple of weeks ago.

Jackie