Menu

Attic Greek for Elementary?

Ariston

I'm spending some time going through old threads tonight, but so far I'm having a hard time finding sources for teaching ATTIC Greek to young children. I had planned on starting the alphabet after the holidays, and doing transliteration in the spring with my 6 y.o. This I can do on my own but was hoping to find a kid friendly curriculum for the fall when my son will be 7. Any help? I really do not want to have to use the books I used in college with a 1st grader!

:confused:

Elena

Is the Galore Park Greek programme. I did it with Hobbes when he was about eight - I don't think I would have done it with him at six.

You could always spend a lot of time on the alphabet (no bad thing) and then come to the book later. There are lots of free alphabet learning materials available on the internet, for example here and here.

Laura

Is the Galore Park Greek programme. I did it with Hobbes when he was about eight - I don't think I would have done it with him at six.

You could always spend a lot of time on the alphabet (no bad thing) and then come to the book later. There are lots of free alphabet learning materials available on the internet, for example here and here.

Laura

:iagree: We used http://www.open.ac.uk/Arts/greek/index.html to introduce the alphabet. If the galore park book is difficult to obtain, Learn Ancient Greek by Peter Jones is also good. Word is that GP are working on the next book, so hopefully that will be out before you (or we) need it.

I really do not want to have to use the books I used in college with a 1st grader!

This implies that you know the language.

If you know the language, you've essentially got nothing to worry about, as all you have to do is to water down what you studied and adapt it to your student, as you know what to teach and why things are the way they are. Formal curricula, at that age, are not even needed if you know what you're doing.

I made a mishmash from all sorts of stuff at that age and taught it that way, without a formal curriculum. Later switch to Athenaze, dictionaries and original texts and you're good.

I wrote Galore Park last week to see if (the long anticipated) Greek Prep (Attic) was in the works. They said "something" was planned but not to expect anything before the last quarter of 2011 at the earliest. I've been hearing about a "Greek Prep" for years now, so I'm not holding my breath.

Bill

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll look into all the links you gave me. For now I've decided to do Homeric (although at this stage what he's learning won't be any different than Attic or Koine). You're right that I can just do alphabet/reading for a while.

As far as knowing what I'm doing, I really don't! 10 years ago I may have been translating Plato and Herodotus, but today I'd be lucky if I could recite the alphabet. Use it or lose it, as they say.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll look into all the links you gave me. For now I've decided to do Homeric (although at this stage what he's learning won't be any different than Attic or Koine). You're right that I can just do alphabet/reading for a while.

As far as knowing what I'm doing, I really don't! 10 years ago I may have been translating Plato and Herodotus, but today I'd be lucky if I could recite the alphabet. Use it or lose it, as they say.

I know what you mean. :) Though I wasn't translating Plato, I studied Attic for two years. I don't think I could manage at this stage pulling something together on my own, but I am enjoying getting back into the language. I opted to use Koine materials to start with. I contacted my former professor and asked him about it. His point was, of course it is more difficult to go from Koine to Attic than vice-versa, but Koine would provide a great foundation for a young child who may be interested in continuing a serious study of Ancient Greek later on. I'm happy with this route because I do enjoy the NT studies. We'll likely make it to Athenaze in middle school or high school.

Keep us posted re: what you come up with. :) There is a lot of interest in Attic, and possibly Homeric, for the elementary group, so you'd have a ready audience if you dive back into the language and come up with a plan.

I always figured that going from Koine to Attic might be like going from inner city street language to ivy league college language, but isn't that light years ahead of trying to enter an Ivy league with no English at all?

To be accused of having bad habits, you have to know quite a bit of something!