Menu

VP Middle Ages/Renaissance/Reformation

Roxy Roller

Is it possible to use this with a 7th Grader? I am wanting a program that I can tweak for all of my children next year. I will have 1st Grade, two 4th Graders, 5th Grade and 7th Grade.

Yes, you can use this with all of your children, but you will want to add in some logic stage reading and writing assignments like those in TWTM. Also, if you plan to test, you will probably want to write separate tests for your 7th grader since the ones VP supplies are definitely grammar level.

Thank you, teachaheart. I was planning on adding in WTM suggestions for writing and some logic level literature.

I looked at Omnibus, but it is too advanced for my oldest child and I would not be able to tweak it for the youngers. I am doing TOG Year 1 right now, and we love it, but I need to move to something that is a little less intense, because I do not feel like I am getting the full use out of it. It is an expensive book list right now.

Roxanne,

SilverMoon uses VP history and she's a "pro" at combining. She has a 7th grader this year who is also not quite ready for Omnibus so she's still combining. I remember her sharing that she finds VP "tweakable" up or down a grade level. She's a fantastic resource and would likely give you great advice!

I would think it would be very doable to use the cards as your general structure for 7th grade. Especially since they use Kingfisher which SWB recommends for middle school history as well. I would look at WTM's 6th grade list for other titles that would complement this year. Also, Memoria Press does some literature from this period in 5th grade I believe (King Arthur, Adam of the Road) and has guides for those books.

Aw shucks. :blushing: :laugh: I do enjoy a good chat about curricula I love.

Back to the OP. I am doing exactly that with four kids this year, ranging from a precocious-must-do-what-big-sibs-are-doing kindy to a 7th grader. It's very possible, and easy to do. I can barely reach the keyboard over a nursling at the moment, but feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like to discuss specifics. :001_smile: