Menu

LOVING Professor B - somewhat of a review, more of an experience really

sarahv

I have worked several math programs and really love Miquon, Activities for the AL Abacus (RightStart, but not the scripted program, which I do NOT like), and MEP. Each program has it's great parts, and very few downsides, but our absolute favorite here is Professor B (http://www.profb.com)

My husband and I are both "non-mathy" people, and I specifically have chosen math programs that have really great strategies as well as good mental math work. I use all of the above programs regularly to experience math in different ways, but Professor B is our main program. I love it because it's strategies make sense. It moves in a very gentle, yet not childish way. It really teaches math. I think that's why *I* love it. I don't have to wonder how I am going to break it down into smaller chunks. I am amazed at how my kids immediately understand the concepts and how I don't have to work on it. I just keep going to the next lesson. Fabulous for me. It's definitely fun for them, as it is a CD rom program and so they get some "screen time" and there is competition - as in, they get to try to see who is faster, Professor B or them.

I think it's a good deal. It's about $100 for the CD rom, but it's three years of math on one CD. The only other thing needed is the workbook which is around $15 or $20 I think.

So far the strategies are similar in style to the other programs I've worked with, but he starts in on subtraction immediately, which I think is really cool. The first addition lesson is counting up to 10 by adding one, and counting backward from 10 by subtracting one. I can't even tell you how much I love this program. Professor B is a genius. He just presents the material in such a way that makes math common sense almost.

Just wanted to throw that out there to anyone who might be in the market for a math program. Even my three year old is getting it. I have to tell her to be quiet because she'll shout out the right answer when the boys are doing their lessons.

The program is elementary math only - "arithmetic" technically.

Indeed, the Prof does have algebra. It is a series of 3 (IIRC) books.

I labored over the choices for algebra and decided to stick with what has worked so well for us. I am very happy with my choice, it follows the same pattern as the earlier books. Fabulous, clear explanations and then right in to using what you have learned in big advanced looking problems. Mine are never intimidated by anything, they have always worked bigger.

We are loving Professor B here as well. We are using the textbooks I purchased the whole set for $15.00 off ebay. I thought I would just try it since it was such a good deal and I have been amazed. In a matter of a couple weeks my dd7 has learned her addition facts from 10 down. The books are so easy to use once you get the hang of it and she is loving it!

Yes. I bought the books used, too, at first and then tried the CD rom, also used. Now that I'm using it everyday, I'd buy the CD rom brand new three times over, it's such a great program. Worth every penny spent. Actually, right now my CD rom is broken on my old comp, so I'm paying $20 a month for the online version (the exact same as the CD) until I get around to buying a new CD for our Mac.

Cindy, loved your comment about never being afraid of a big problem!! :)

I would definitely call my oldest math challenged. I don't think he even understood numbers until this year (six years old). Professor B builds very sequentially, is mastery based, not spiral, and so I feel is very good for him in that way. But I will let others respond who have a little more experience.

How do you feel this program would work for a child that is math challenged? While she understands concepts, she is VERY slow with her facts. We need something to help catch her up and yet it can't move too fast.

Thanks!

I've used Professor B Math from the beginning with ds 11 and ds 8, and this program never ceases to amaze me. As the OP said, the explanations are very clear, and he has an exceptional ability to help learners see the connections between mathematics operations - connections that I never saw myself before teaching K-5th grade math to my dc :001_smile:

In answer to your question, this program has been tested with students in public school systems who are preforming below grade level in math; it has a proven track record with students who need math remediation (you can read about the research here).

Yes. I bought the books used, too, at first and then tried the CD rom, also used. Now that I'm using it everyday, I'd buy the CD rom brand new three times over, it's such a great program. Worth every penny spent. Actually, right now my CD rom is broken on my old comp, so I'm paying $20 a month for the online version (the exact same as the CD) until I get around to buying a new CD for our Mac.

Cindy, loved your comment about never being afraid of a big problem!! :)

Are the CD's the same material as the books?