Menu

Is Calculus required to graduate high school?

I was just wondering if calculus is required for high school. This is what I have done/am doing so far:

Lial's algebra 1

possibly MUS geometry/Lof geometry

Lial's algebra 2

Lial's pre-calc

MUS Calc?

I am still unsure of what I want to do for my career. My best friend is in college right now, majoring in occupational/physical therapy with a minor in equine studies, and I love what she is majoring in. I was thinking of doing something on the idea of that. But then I also love music, and have thought about doing music ed as well. So I am a little confused on whether or not I would need a credit in calculus. Saxon may be out of the question for calc because of their method and everything.

Any ideas? Let me know if I wasn't being clear enough or I need to specify somehting else!

You do not have to take calculus for high school graduation. If you are not math oriented, you don't ever have to take it. But, if you want to do a career that requires it, you might appreciate having done something calculus in high school for exposure.

You are right Susan, I am math oriented but am not gifted or anything like that. I am a little above average in math right now, which is a good thing. Like you said, maybe exposing myself to some calc will help if I need it. Thanks!

No, not required. Usually what is required is 3 years of math, attaining at least a college algebra level. Calculus is usually the first math class taken at college, so if you get it in high school then you are a semester "ahead" when you start college.

Does that help?

It does help, I may just take calculus just so I don't have to take it in college when I could be doing something else, this seems very logical and a good idea, thank you.

I see you already got some good answers but I thought I might chip in as well.

Look at the colleges You're interested in. Some may require at least one upper level math (algebra 2) and some may only require 4 years of math without specifying.

I plan to major in Occupational Therapy and I took Geometry in 9th grade. If I hadn't taken Geometry in 9th but instead taken it in 10th, I wouldn't push myself to do two years of math in one year just to get Calculus. It'll be good to have but not necessary at all.

That's just my .02.

It does help, I may just take calculus just so I don't have to take it in college when I could be doing something else, this seems very logical and a good idea, thank you.

Not to be the pessimist or anything, but this also depends on the colleges. Some will place you based on a math placement test, but some will just put you directly into an Algebra course for a semester. The colleges around here especially for the OT major, will put you in Algebra while you work on your prerequisite courses like anatomy and physiology. Again, it all depends on the college.

But even if they did make you take a Calculus course, you'd be familiar and probably do a lot better than if you were never introduced.

I see you already got some good answers but I thought I might chip in as well.

Look at the colleges You're interested in. Some may require at least one upper level math (algebra 2) and some may only require 4 years of math without specifying.

I plan to major in Occupational Therapy and I took Geometry in 9th grade. If I hadn't taken Geometry in 9th but instead taken it in 10th, I wouldn't push myself to do two years of math in one year just to get Calculus. It'll be good to have but not necessary at all.

That's just my .02.

You are right too Stephanie!:D Lol, I have to agree with you, I wish I had taken geometry in 9th, but I can't change the past now I have to keep moving forward. The colleges I am interested in only require 3-4 years of math, and some of the medical programs require pre-calc with an intro to calc. But other than that algebra 2 is all that they require for higher math. I didn't even think of that!:lol: Maybe just familiariaing myself with a little bit of calc after I accomplish pre-calc is what I should do instead. Thanks so much!

Not to be the pessimist or anything, but this also depends on the colleges. Some will place you based on a math placement test, but some will just put you directly into an Algebra course for a semester. The colleges around here especially for the OT major, will put you in Algebra while you work on your prerequisite courses like anatomy and physiology. Again, it all depends on the college.

But even if they did make you take a Calculus course, you'd be familiar and probably do a lot better than if you were never introduced.

Good point. I see what you are saying, my friend was telling me about OT and I actually got really interested in what she was telling me. It sounds like a really good field and I am considering this option as well, (on top of all my other options!) lol thank you for this though. This sounds like a good plan, and I am glad I asked the question now instead of later.

No, trying to get out of college calculus is actually a bad idea.

If you major in a subject that requires calculus, you will almost certainly be required to take it in college again. Even if you do AP level calculus, I would NOT recommend to use it to place out of calculus 1 in college. The rigor of a college calculus class is very very different from the typical highschool college course - so even IF the school would accept AP credit, you would not do yourself a service skipping introductory calculus.

Now, don't get me wrong: I am all FOR taking calculus in highschool - but not with the motivation of skipping college calc.

No, trying to get out of college calculus is actually a bad idea.

If you major in a subject that requires calculus, you will almost certainly be required to take it in college again. Even if you do AP level calculus, I would NOT recommend to use it to place out of calculus 1 in college. The rigor of a college calculus class is very very different from the typical highschool college course - so even IF the school would accept AP credit, you would not do yourself a service skipping introductory calculus.

Now, don't get me wrong: I am all FOR taking calculus in highschool - but not with the motivation of skipping college calc.

It sounds like you have had some experience with college calc, and I am glad you could help me with it, thank you!

If you major in a subject that requires calculus, you will almost certainly be required to take it in college again. Even if you do AP level calculus, I would NOT recommend to use it to place out of calculus 1 in college.

Your Mileage May Vary!

You may or may not be required to take calculus again if you took it at a CC or you scored well on an AP calc exam. It depends on the college. (Often the AB exam gets you out of calculus 1 and the BC exam gets you out of cakulus 1 & 2).

And I agree that just because you receive credit for calculus taken in high school does not necessarily mean that you should just move on to calculus 2 or calculus 3. This depends on the student. But for a strong motivated math student to retake calculus if he doesn't have to is quite likely a waste of time!

But for a strong motivated math student to retake calculus if he doesn't have to is quite likely a waste of time!

Before making this decision, I would strongly recommend to check the university calc's syllabus and if possible to discuss it with the professor teaching the class.

I have limited experience with calculus; I know, however, that in physics doing well on the AP test does not guarantee that the student has mastered the material at the level taught at the university. The quality of AP instruction varies greatly; a good class can be a substitute for a college class - whereas a poor class, even with a good test result, might not actually be an equivalent.

If you have any doubts as to whether to place out of calculus, discuss it with someone in the math department upon entry. They will likely be able to assess your knowledge and make a recommendation. Also, many universities have sample calc 1 finals available -- it may be a good idea to acquire one from where you plan to attend and make sure that you're solid on your knowledge (90%+, I should say)

Hey LuvingLife,

You also don't have to complete calculus in order to receive some benefit at university. If you only get through limits it will still give you a great leg up. Limits are one of the harder things (imo) for calc 1 students to understand, and they're at the very beginning of the course.

But for a strong motivated math student to retake calculus if he doesn't have to is quite likely a waste of time!

Actually, I think it's the strong math students who want to take calculus again, because they're not just taking it to get through a credit, but taking it to help with their major and their career. Might not apply to the Physical Therapy plan, but it did apply to my engineering son.

Julie

For our state U system, 4 yrs of math Alg I & higher are required. So Alg I & II, Geometry and pre-calc would fit the bill.

If you switch to Engineering, get a good grip on pre-Calc as that is the "weed out" course for them (so says my newly graduated nephew.) Business majors have a Calc course for them too, but it's not as intense as the engineers.