Menu

I need help quick! How do I deaden the heat of my chili?

Once in, its in.

There are a few tricks you can try, but I doubt these will take it from hot to mild.

Sugar balances the heat and makes it let noticeable. Still there, just not so out of balance. Start with a tablespoon of brown sugar (or white) and go from there....a little goes a long way. If you don't do sugar, you can puree a sweet vegetable like carrot and add that instead.

Dairy can help cut the burn in the mouth, but I don't know if it has the same effect stirred in. I agree with others about serving it with sour cream to see if that helps.

The best way to cut the heat.....is to add ingredients. I would probably make a new smaller pot of chili (sans chili powder), and add the too hot version ladle by ladle until you get the new pot to where you like it. Better to toss 1/2 of the old pot than to add all your ingredients and still have something you can't eat.

If you don't have a lot of extra ingredients, you can ladle off some of the liquid or even toss some of it in a colander and rinse it off. Then you only have to add the liquid ingredients in. The beans have already absorbs some of the heat so I would simmer for a good while after you rinse if you decide to try that method.

I hate it when I do something like this. It really sucks to have to make a dinner again....that you already made.

An old myth is adding a potato. It will just absorb some liquid....it is faster and easier to ladle it off.

Drat. I went back to the kitchen and started adding while Tap was posting, so I didn't see her tips. Oh well.

So, I added a can of tomatoes, a can of beans, about 1/2c of cream cheese (as a substitute for sour cream), a few tablespoons of sugar, 1 1/2c beef broth, and about 1/4c flour (because it was so watery). It's still hot, but not too bad. Thanks.