Menu

Does your love language influence your homeschooling?

I realized while responding to my gift giving love language thread, that I partly homeschool because acts of service is my love language. Not only that, but I think that it influences the way that I homeschool. I don't tend to use "in the box" programs because putting together the "perfect" program for each child is part of my service towards them. Do you think that your love language influences your homeschooling?

I don't know what my love language is. I think it might me, "Leave me alone." :lol: So no, homeschooling is probably the complete opposite of my love language.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think my love languages are quality time together, and gifts. I take my kids to the park to read books a lot, and tend to overdo the "special" things, because that is what makes me feel loved. I chose a literature rich form of homeschooling because reading books together fits with the quality time love language I'm sure.

But of course, I NEED some time alone every now and again and I wonder why I chose to homeschool some days. :tongue_smilie: I honestly look forward to shopping alone once a week. Yay. Shopping for groceries.

Do you think that your love language influences your homeschooling?

My love language is service, too, and I have reached the point I have to start taking the time to push kiddo to do for himself. So, I have to fight my love language! Anyone wildly anti-service would, in my puny imagination, have a hard row homeschooling. But maybe I'm all wet.

The five (I think) are:

Acts of Service, Quality Time Together, Physical Touch, Gifts, Words of Affirmation.

I took this quiz (which is marriage oriented but in my experience this applies to interactions with anyone important). http://edified.org/myspace/lovelanguage adding another link because you can do kids and etc. with this one. http://www.5lovelanguages.com/assessments/love/

My top is quality time and second is acts of service so I suppose homeschool fits that. However, I don't think it was my motivation for homeschooling. I am homeschooling primarily because I can't see one of my kids functioning in the school environment at all. I do appreciate the time our family gets together though so maybe it is a factor at some level.

My husband has had his job location transferred (no choice, just an announcement) and it will mean an extra minimum of 1.5 hours of driving a day. This extends his time away from home. I've been very depressed and upset since it was announced. I think this is why but it didn't occur to me until I did that quiz. It's affecting the top love language I have. I feel sad for my kids in time away from daddy too. Of course time may not at all be their love languages. I'm afraid one might be gifts and that's a 0 on that quiz for me.

Edited by sbgrace

Ha ha! Yeah, I'm into this homeschooling gig precisely because I think it is the best way to serve my family.

(And because my other, unofficial, love language is food, I'm also homeschooling so my kids won't have to eat soggy sandwiches for lunch every day.)

:)

Rosie

I realized while responding to my gift giving love language thread, that I partly homeschool because acts of service is my love language. Not only that, but I think that it influences the way that I homeschool. I don't tend to use "in the box" programs because putting together the "perfect" program for each child is part of my service towards them. Do you think that your love language influences your homeschooling?

I never thought about it before but that is completely true for me as well, every word of it!!! That is a major deep though moment for me.

The five (I think) are:

Acts of Service, Quality Time Together, Physical Touch, Gifts, Words of Affirmation.

I took this quiz (which is marriage oriented but in my experience this applies to interactions with anyone important). http://edified.org/myspace/lovelanguage adding another link because you can do kids and etc. with this one. http://www.5lovelanguages.com/assessments/love/

Thanks for the link. For years I've heard these love languages being referenced in various online groups, but I never knew exactly what they were.

Yes. My love language is quality time and it has definately affected my choice to stay at home with my kids and then to homeschool them. I don't like the day-to-day hum drum stuff with keeping a home, but I love doing stuff with my kids, taking them places, creating memories.

After following the above links, :iagree: with Jeanne. This is me, too, to a T.