Menu

How much of the TT Algebra 1 book should I cover? (Please READ before responding.)

As you may remember, I am teaching TT Algebra to a small group of homeschoolers here in my town. I have 4 students (ages 14-16, average ability) who were a bit behind in math for one reason or another--typical of homeschoolers in our area, but that's another issue <sigh>. Three of the students have had NO math for at least a year because their "non-mathy" moms had become frustrated and had quit even trying to teach it. Two of those three had barely begun the Saxon Algebra 1/2 textbook, and one had barely begun the Saxon Algebra 1 book; the fourth student was already struggling with the first few chapters of BJU Algebra 1.

I wasn't approached about the possibility of teaching Algebra 1 until October--about 6 weeks after the school year had already started--so I quickly made preparations, and we started TT Algebra 1 (albeit already "behind") about 3 weeks ago. We are meeting twice per week, doing 2 lessons at each meeting (4 lessons per week). They've had only one test so far (Chapter 1), and the scores were: 74, 78, 91, 100.

I think we are moving at a good pace--any faster and I would lose the students, who already struggle with math--and we will continue to cover 4 lessons per week through mid-June, but there is NO WAY we will be able to finish the TT Algebra 1 textbook by then. If we continue on this pace, and if we do every lesson from every chapter, it looks like we will only get through chapter 13 (out of 17). That means we will not get to 14) graphing, 15) slope, 16) systems, nor 17) inequalities. :( (FWIW, I plan to offer to teach TT Algebra 2 next school year, and I expect that the students will all return for that course as well.)

So, my questions are:

• In order for the students to earn a credit for this course, how much of the book must we complete? Just in case these kids don't take Algebra 2 with me next year, I don't want them to have huge gaps. (Yes, I already know that some people feel that TT has gaps anyway. :tongue_smilie: But believe me, it is definitely the best option for this group of kids.)
  • Are there any lessons or chapters that we could skip (assuming they will be retaught--or at least reviewed sufficiently--in the Algebra 2 book)?
  • In order to at least touch on graphing, slope, systems, and inequalities, should I pick and choose lessons from the last several chapters of the book? If so, which lessons should I be sure to include, and which lessons could we skip?

Edited by ereks mom
clarification

Most schools do not cover 100% of textbooks and those students still get full credit. I heard of a school last year where about 50% of the book was covered and the students got a full credit.

Personally, I require about 80% of each text to be completed.

You'll get lots of conflicting opinions probably. :)

Edited by Pam L in Mid Tenn
did not finish sentence

This is a tough one with TT given its somewhat different scope and sequence. Have you looked at TT Algebra 2? Could you jump right into it and teach it next year having missed those 4 chapters?

If I were in your shoes, my concern would be with any students that go from TT Algebra 1 to a different text for Algebra 2. Although the material is eventually covered in the TT series, the first Algebra book doesn't cover as much as any of the other Algebra 1 texts we have. Is there any way to extend this class you're teaching into the summer in order to finish this?

It is a fact that ps's don't always finish texts, but that's not always to the students' advantage.

Guest theirmommy

The rule is- regular school textbooks must be 75% complete in order to receive a credit. If it's a book written for homeschoolers, it is expected that you would have completed the entire book. This is the guideline that Inga Cannon gave in her Transcript Bootcamp seminar. HTH!

I've rewritten my year plan, and I've chosen a few lessons here & there to cover lightly and a few to skip altogther. I've also decided to extend our school year by a week. That way, we will be able to cover all chapters except 16) systems and 17) inequalities. I looked through the Algebra 2 book, and those 2 topics are covered thoroughly in that book as well, and in a way that seems to assume the student remembers little to nothing of them from Algebra 1. ;) If necessary, next year in Algebra 2, I will revert to the Algebra 1 book when teaching those 2 topics. And next year, I will start a lot sooner in the school year so finishing the book shouldn't even be an issue.

I am feeling a lot better about this, so many thanks to you for helping me think it through. :001_smile:

Edited by ereks mom

I've rewritten my year plan, and I've chosen a few lessons here & there to cover lightly and a few to skip altogther. I've also decided to extend our school year by a week. That way, we will be able to cover all chapters except 16) systems and 17) inequalities. I looked through the Algebra 2 book, and those 2 topics are covered thoroughly in that book as well, and in a way that seems to assume the student remembers little to nothing of them from Algebra 1. ;) If necessary, next year in Algebra 2, I will revert to the Algebra 1 book when teaching those 2 topics. And next year, I will start a lot sooner in the school year so finishing the book shouldn't even be an issue.

I am feeling a lot better about this, so many thanks to you for helping me think it through. :001_smile:

That sounds like a great plan.