Menu

Geometry - MUS or BJU? Is one a better choice over the other?

My DD15 will begin Geometry after our Christmas break. We're currently using BJU which has gone well but am wondering (due to pricing) if MUS would give her a solid foundation for a geometry credit too just at a lower cost. I've heard it's lacking proofs, is that true? Would it give her a good foundation for the ACT or SAT? (although I think the SAT doesn't have proofs, not sure about the ACT) Any suggestions? Thanks!

MUS covers the basics of geometry. Proofs are done at the end of the book. All throughout the lessons you must state the "why" to your answer which gets the student ready for the proofs.

If your child has above average math skills, then MUS might be too easy. For my average to below average students, it has been the perfect fit. Also, what is your child going to major in college? Will they NEED heavier math skills?

I have never seen the BJU geometry books. So I can't compare them.

I have one dd who used BJU algebra last year. It was fantastic. Ds is using it this year. (The other two have used TT. But these two declined it.) This year, dd wanted to use BJU Geometry because the algebra went so well. It is AWFUL. She has tremendous trouble understanding the lessons. I do not care for it either. It makes things way too complicated. It asks the student to work so many proofs in one lesson that it is...ridiculous. TT geometry was by far superior imho. Ds will be using it. Given the two options, I would go with MUS (which I have not used).

She hasn't made up her mind yet as far as a major. She's contemplating a counseling, psychology major possibly. She also loves music too and she's thought about majoring in that as well. So with either one I'm assuming she'll need no heavy math. She's been above average in all of her studies except math. She's always just been average in it.

We're finishing up BJU's Algebra I course and she's done well with it after having struggled with Teaching Textbooks and Chalkdust. I was just wondering how BJU's Geometry course measured up to their Algebra. With her struggle using TT and Chalkdust for Algebra her freshman year, it kind of put us behing the eight ball and behind. We're just now finishing up Algebra I and starting Geometry so I was thinking maybe MUS might be a little easier and quicker to cover so we could have the course completed next May.

After having read each of your posts, I think MUS will be the perfect fit for her. What do you think?

Edited by Momof3Maidens

I didn't think BJU was heavy on proofs, we moved from Chalkdust and thought it was a walk in the park....

The teacher is the same for Algebra 1 and Geometry. And just as wonderful. Since we moved to BJU around Ch. 4, we didn't do the first three (we were in Chalkdust dying...). Some of Ch. 1-3 looked strange. From Ch. 4 on, we liked it. The chapter on logic was well done too.

The beginning lessons of MUS are very easy. It would be doable to do several lessons in one week at the beginning.

I totally agree. My daughter is a non-mathy child; she lives in the artistic world much of the time. She uses MUS and does well with it. She has completed 13 units and has scored 100 on all of the tests! Proofs will be coming and it is getting harder with vocabulary, but it goes at a nice pace.

Dd has really done well with BJU. She struggled so much with TT and Chalkdust that it affected her self esteem and she was beginning to think she was dumb which she isn't. Those curriculum just did not click with her. So when she started with BJU and started doing well with it I was so pleased. My main reason for contemplating using MUS is because I thought we could probably cover it quicker.

Dd is not particularly fond of the teacher from BJU (although I like her) but she does well with it. I'm still not sure what to do so I'll think it over some more this week while we're off for Thanksgiving break.

If MUS is not proof heavy, will that affect her later on? Will she need to know proofs extensively for the ACT? I'm pretty sure there's no proofs on the SAT. I just want to know that MUS will give her a good footing in Geometry. We used MUS up through Zeta so we're familiar with it just not at the high school level.

Thanks everyone!