Menu

Sewing machine for a 5 yo?

Whatever you do, do NOT buy a kiddie sewing machine! He will be sooooo frustrated and will give up on sewing. The bobbin (if there is one) will snarl, he won't be able to reverse the stitching, you won't be able to buy replacement needles once they break, etc.

Kenmore used to make a half-sized machine that was built and worked just like a regular one, with straight stitch, backstitch and zigzag. I looked at those at Sears when I was searching for a machine for dd15. She was 10 at the time, so I just went with a basic full-sized machine (umm can't remember the brand) that I got for about $75 at Target in early December that year.

I think you should see if you can find a half-sized machine :)

I just have them use mine under close supervision. I think the ones marketed specifically for kids tend to be poorly made. My turned-6-last-week dd has been using mine since maybe September. The only problem is that I have it set up at a standup quilting table, so they have to stand on a chair and put the foot pedal on a chair to reach it.

I agree, the kiddie ones are a joke! Don't waste your time. I have been sewing since I was 7 years old. My mom just let me try her machine off an on when she was not too busy to supervise.

I have a soon to be 6yo DD, she also asked for a sewing machine. I have one, but it is very expensive and I didnt want her to learn on it! I just bought her a Brother that they are selling at Costco.com right now. It gets very good reviews for its price range. It is 175. Most new machines in the lower price ranges are not great either, but some are. I have had some really bad experiences with the new Singers. I would definitely read as many reviews as you can before buying anything.

You can also buy older used machines. These are often built way better than the newer machines in the lower price ranges.

One feature that is a must have with young learners is the adjustable speed! You can turn the machine speed all the way down so that if they press hard on the foot, it still doesnt go too fast.

I just have them use mine under close supervision. I think the ones marketed specifically for kids tend to be poorly made.

:iagree:

My folks got the girls a Hello Kitty sewing machine last year. I think it's even made by Janome, which is a good brand - it's a 3/4 size machine. I think it works well, but it doesn't have the ability to slow down the needle speed, which makes it hard for them when they're just learning. In fact, if we were going to sew together, I would probably use the little machine while they learn on the big one. Once they are more comfortable on mine, they can try theirs again.

I don't know which machines are good anymore. I have a Viking and I LOVE IT but it's quite a bit more than I would get for a 5 yo. Maybe a Singer?

Another person with a big :thumbdown: on kiddie machines. Let him use your machine or buy an inexpensive regular machine. With Black Friday approaching I'm sure you can snag a deal on a decent one. Besides, if he outgrows his interest, you'll have a back-up machine :D

I've heard lots of good reviews for that Hello Kitty Janome.

One with a speed adjustment would be best. I'd look at thrift stores or Craigslist before going with a brand new one. :) I'd also avoid anything from Costco/Sam's, and Singer or Brother names.

My kids, and now the neighbor girl too, have mostly learned on vintage machines. The forty-some year old Montgomery Ward in it's own desk has been their favorite, hands down. My 10yo dd, who's been sewing for three years, can use my faster 5yo machine well, but she still prefers that MW.

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm still a relatively novice sewer but I would go with a newer model over a vintage one. The reason is that the newer machines are all electronic and SOOOO much easier to use IMHO. My MIL lent my mom her vintage machine to sew some curtains as my mom doesn't own a machine. It was way more complicated to use than mine is. I wouldn't want to use a machine like that to sew on a regular basis.

Some features of newer machines (such as simpler threading) certainly make it easier, but for basic sewing, electronic anything is rather over the top.

I would get him a basic machine, if you can find one just one that does forward/backward, straight and zigzag. The zillion different stitches, fancy embroidery settings, etc. aren't needed for a beginner.

Another option is to start him off with hand sewing. Particularly for small projects (stuffed animals, puppets, doll clothes).