Menu

Has anyone else noticed prices randomly going up on Amazon?

They go up and down all year long.

Yeah, but it really does intensify this time of year. The rest of the year, an item will vary within a dollar or two.

I recently bought something and it went up $15 the next day. It's now $18 above that price and it's not going to come back down until after Christmas. (ETA - scratch that--it's actually up $23.)

I've learned to anticipate which things are likely to do this and get ahead of it. Usually. Sometimes a gift waits until a birthday.

ETA: I have noticed that 3rd party sellers are the worst offenders. Amazon has price fluctuations, 3rd party sellers take advantage of shortages (or percieved shortages, anticipated shortages, a change in the wind...) in a much bigger way.

Edited by darlasowders

I find some items change prices daily. I just watch it until it goes back to the lowest price I've seen and sometimes it even drops lower. They are always messing with the prices.

Agreed...brick & mortar stores do it too. I laugh when I see a store ad that says "lowest prices of the season!" Let's see...there's Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, but they could also use the Easter "season," Christmas season, Back-to-School season, etc... as excuses to say "lowest of the season." Then there's the stores that do the price drops to make it look like they're offering a deal. I'm sure the price drop comes after a price increase.

They go up and down all year long.

:iagree:

If it's something you really want, and you think the price will go back down, put it in your cart and click "save for later." Then check your cart every day and you'll get a message if the price of anything in your cart has gone up or down.

Jackie

If I put it in my cart, does it "save" that price? In other words, protects it from a price increase? Then I can keep cking to see if it goes down, but at least it is protected from going up?

I'm kicking myself I didn't buy it the other day!!!

No. It just lets you know if it went up or down (which you already noticed). Handy for keeping track of something until it decreases though--which is unlikely to happen with any popular toys being sold on amazon though 3rd parties.

I've got a ton of stuff in my Amazon cart right now and every time I go to their website I have an average of 10 notices telling me how much items have either gone up or down in price or are no longer available. As someone else said, it's particularly crazy this time of year. I actually made a few of my Christmas purchases earlier than I wanted to because a number of things that I had planned to buy with Amazon prime were no longer available without paying shipping. I didn't want that to start happening with half the stuff I need to buy.

Lisa