Menu

How many hours a day to you spend on school?

I was just wondering how many hours a day your child spends on school. I start school at 9:00 and dont' end until 2:30, sometimes I won't end until three, or I will finish earlier depeding on what I have to do.

How many hours a day does your child spend on school?

P.S. I also do some homework, like studying or doing extra work if I am going somewhere the next day.

I keep getting my titles wrong! My computer isn't working right, so my typing might be a little mixed up. Sorry about the way my titles have been coming out lately. I meant how many hours a day does your child spend on school.

Edited by LuvingLife
typo

My son, who is in 9th grade, starts at 8:15 or so, takes a 15 minute break for lunch, and goes until 4-5 in the afternoon most days. He generally does assigned reading in the evenings from 7:30-9. He is taking American history, American literature, algebra II, astronomy, Latin I, and a half credit state history course. He works slowly but methodically.

My first grader does about 3.5 hours/day between 10:30 and 3:30. The extra 2 hours are spent playing, outside break, lunch, and quiet time while I put the toddler down. We don't do school on Fridays except maybe an hour of extra reading for history topics.

ETA: Sorry, somehow I missed this was for a 10th grader!

He starts at 7am and works until about 3 with a lunch break (plus he has two evenings with classes). But lately? Lately he's been completely slammed, and the past couple weeks have been more like 7am to 7pm plus the two nights with classes, and tomorrow he's actually planning a full day to finish a project. After that, though, he should be back to the 7 or 8 hours... thank goodness!

My 9th grader starts at 8 and ends about 2 - 2:30 with a 15 minute to half hour lunch. Getting him to work any longer than that would be akin to pulling teeth. I was going to say he doesn't do any work in the evening but I just realized that isn't entirely true. He'll do an hour of assigned reading before bed to get a head start on the next day.

Our twins school from 9am to 3pm except when they have music lessons, bowling lessons, teen group and other homeschool outing that come up. If they have outside activities/lessons during the "school hours" they make up the time on weekends or evenings. If they don't get all their work done during the normal school hours, they have to do it evenings and/or weekends.

This sounds like the typical school hours, which is a good thing! But here is my problem, I am going to be getting a whole new set of curriculum in (math, science, spanish, things like that) and I want to really start getting into violin, vocals, and possibly guitar. I will probably be practicing violin and guitar before vocals, so this will take up about 2 hours of my day, and I also am starting to volunteer a lot more.

Is it possible to block schedule some of my subjects? If so, would you mind suggesting which one please?

That's about 6 hours of academics per day, and we have school 4 days per week. Friday is catch-up/project/library/home-ec/field trip day.

This year, her school subjects include:

Latin 2

TRISMS (history/humanities, literature/writing): Expansion of Civilization: Greece through the Middle Ages

Geometry

Chemistry

DGP for grammar review

In addition to the academics, her activities on weekday afternoons/evenings include: community choir rehearsals, church youth choir rehearsals, 2 separate youth Bible studies, rehearsals for a youth theater troupe, and serving as the director's assistant for a children's theater troupe. She also has a part-time job managing the mini snack bar (canned drinks & packaged snacks) for her dad's office group.

Edited by ereks mom

That's about 6 hours of academics per day, and we have school 4 days per week. Friday is catch-up/project/library/home-ec/field trip day.

In addition to the academics, her activities on weekday afternoons/evenings include: community choir rehearsals, church youth choir rehearsals, 2 separate youth Bible studies, rehearsals for a youth theater troupe, and serving as the director's assistant for a children's theater troupe. She also has a part-time job managing the mini snack bar (canned drinks & packaged snacks) for her dad's office group.

This is how I would like to have my school day planned out, this sounds really good, and I know I can keep on top of my studies. I just need to get more curriculum that is student friendly and I will be all set. I really enjoy music and my outside activities, and I don't want to cut them short. My school days will probably about 5-6 hours a day from now on. If I need the extra time, then I will use the extra time I have to play catch up on the things I need to. Thank you!

My school days vary.

I just changed my schedule again, probably for the 5th time this year.

Right now, I do schooling 7 days a week. The weekends I usually spend about 2-3 hours on schoolwork and on weekdays about 4-5 hours.

When our car gets fixed and I continue my volunteering, I may change the schedule up a bit, but maybe not.

It's been working out so far. My core subjects (math, science, Italian) are done on the weekdays. I block schedule my history and English readings (i follow the charlotte mason method). I read English about 3 hours a week and History about 3 hours a week.

Block scheduling works wonderfully for me with English and History as it is mostly reading. I also block schedule Health, but that is more of a 'get it done' subject for me. I just read a chapter over the weekend.

HTH!

7:30 - 11:30 and 12:30 - 4:30 except Wed afternoon where he stops at 1:30, but still does phone tutoring of German for another 20-30 min.

Homework varies from 1/2 hour in 7th to now 3-4 hours in 11th.

At this point, my 11th grader is only doing track two days a week, but running on his own the rest of the time. Over here, they are not at all concerned with extracurriculars to get into university. It would be a little different in the US....

Joan

My school days vary.

I just changed my schedule again, probably for the 5th time this year.

Right now, I do schooling 7 days a week. The weekends I usually spend about 2-3 hours on schoolwork and on weekdays about 4-5 hours.

When our car gets fixed and I continue my volunteering, I may change the schedule up a bit, but maybe not.

It's been working out so far. My core subjects (math, science, Italian) are done on the weekdays. I block schedule my history and English readings (i follow the charlotte mason method). I read English about 3 hours a week and History about 3 hours a week.

Block scheduling works wonderfully for me with English and History as it is mostly reading. I also block schedule Health, but that is more of a 'get it done' subject for me. I just read a chapter over the weekend.

HTH!

This is what I am trying to do as well, and I like this idea. Could you maybe explain how you do block scheduling? This would help me so much!

7:30 - 11:30 and 12:30 - 4:30 except Wed afternoon where he stops at 1:30, but still does phone tutoring of German for another 20-30 min.

At this point, my 11th grader is only doing track two days a week, but running on his own the rest of the time. Over here, they are not at all concerned with extracurriculars to get into university. It would be a little different in the US....

Joan

You are from far away, and I think that is cool. Thanks for sharing your schedule!

I have no idea how long my 17yo spends on school. She likes to put everything off and then cram it all in. She's doing most of this year at the cc.

My 15yo starts working on her school stuff at 9am and works steadily until she feels she's done enough for the day (or until she feels like her brain is about to fry). She usually works until 4 or 5pm M-Th and then is done by 1 or 2pm on Fridays. Occasionally she has a week where everything seems to go very smoothly and she's done by 3 or 4pm M-Th.

She takes off a full hour for lunch because she spends 30 minutes of that time taking care of a neighbor's dogs.

She takes 10-minute breaks scattered throughout the day (maybe one every hour or so) to do something active. I actually count that for her p.e., so it isn't technically a break. She has to keep track of the time she spends on pe. I have 10s marked on her schedule that she checks off for pe as she does them. I know she'll keep doing this even after we are no longer doing pe for credit because she needs the physical activity sprinkled throughout her day.

She takes 10-minute breaks scattered throughout the day (maybe one every hour or so) to do something active. I actually count that for her p.e., so it isn't technically a break. She has to keep track of the time she spends on pe. I have 10s marked on her schedule that she checks off for pe as she does them. I know she'll keep doing this even after we are no longer doing pe for credit because she needs the physical activity sprinkled throughout her day.

Angie, what a great idea! Thank you, I'm going to use that, maybe even for myself.

Joan

Hmm..I think we need to move from the US then! :tongue_smilie: My kids have basically no extracurricular interests, not to mention that I am blown away at the amount/extent of things I am reading that kids do 'in addition' to a full academic load on this board mainly because our small town offers none of this! Wow.

I would like know more about block scheduling as well.

Holly (the mom)

I'm not an expert, but I can maybe help.

I just made a schedule change (again!) and this time, my 4 core classes are scheduled in blocks.

I follow the Charlotte Mason for English and History, and use Ambleside Online Year 10. On Mondays and Wednesdays, I do my English readings. I schedule them to be 90 minutes long, but they generally go longer.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have 90 minutes of History readings scheduled.

On Mondays and Wednesdays, I also have 90 minutes of Math scheduled. I have to do 2 lessons a week, so on Mondays I do 1 lesson and on Wednesday I do the 2nd. Sometimes it won't take me 90 minutes to do the whole lesson plus the homework, and sometimes it takes longer. I just do it all. I take breaks, but I work on Math until done for the day.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have Science scheduled for 90 minutes. I use Apologia and need to do 1/2 a module a week so I read half of the module on Tuesday and do the OYO questions while I'm reading through it and on Thursdays I do the second half. It can take less than or more than 90 minutes, it is just easy to plan them out into 90 minute increments.

I do Latin everyday for 30 minutes. I do SAT Math 2 days a week for 25 minutes and SAT prep for 2 or 3 days a week for 25 minutes. I do Health on Wednesdays and Thursdays and Health on Mondays and Tuesdays.

So, only my core classes are block scheduled.

I enjoy it this way. With math, I lose my "groove" if I have to split up a lesson in half. It confuses me, so block works better for me to have Math and Science every other day.

HTH!

I'm not an expert, but I can maybe help.

I just made a schedule change (again!) and this time, my 4 core classes are scheduled in blocks.

I follow the Charlotte Mason for English and History, and use Ambleside Online Year 10. On Mondays and Wednesdays, I do my English readings. I schedule them to be 90 minutes long, but they generally go longer.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have 90 minutes of History readings scheduled.

On Mondays and Wednesdays, I also have 90 minutes of Math scheduled. I have to do 2 lessons a week, so on Mondays I do 1 lesson and on Wednesday I do the 2nd. Sometimes it won't take me 90 minutes to do the whole lesson plus the homework, and sometimes it takes longer. I just do it all. I take breaks, but I work on Math until done for the day.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have Science scheduled for 90 minutes. I use Apologia and need to do 1/2 a module a week so I read half of the module on Tuesday and do the OYO questions while I'm reading through it and on Thursdays I do the second half. It can take less than or more than 90 minutes, it is just easy to plan them out into 90 minute increments.

I do Latin everyday for 30 minutes. I do SAT Math 2 days a week for 25 minutes and SAT prep for 2 or 3 days a week for 25 minutes. I do Health on Wednesdays and Thursdays and Health on Mondays and Tuesdays.

So, only my core classes are block scheduled.

I enjoy it this way. With math, I lose my "groove" if I have to split up a lesson in half. It confuses me, so block works better for me to have Math and Science every other day.

HTH!

This is a great plan, thank you all for helping me!