Menu

Self education

Heidi

If you are educating yourself for the purpose of being prepared to teach your own children, what is your personal list of curriculum?

I was pondering grammar this morning... what to use for my children, what they need to know, and when they need to know it. I looked at R&S 7 samples online... and I think I need to at least work through a few grammar books. My handwriting is horrible too. Not that I need good handwriting to teach handwriting, but still, I could use some practice.

What do you do?

If you are educating yourself for the purpose of being prepared to teach your own children, what is your personal list of curriculum?

I was pondering grammar this morning... what to use for my children, what they need to know, and when they need to know it. I looked at R&S 7 samples online... and I think I need to at least work through a few grammar books. My handwriting is horrible too. Not that I need good handwriting to teach handwriting, but still, I could use some practice.

What do you do?

I've done a lot of learning alongside my kids. I've considered complete a level of this or that for myself, but have never actually done it. What I'm doing is working so far....

At the moment we're working through Analytical Grammar and the Well Educated Mind. When I finish the grammar, I'll take up with Wheelock's and probably Lingua Latina too since that's what hubby is using.

In 2012, I want to start revising maths, so I'll probably start with MEP. I'm hoping to get a look at someone's Life of Fred to see if that's worth buying for me.

Eventually dh and I want to put ourselves through a good logic course. I keep reading threads on here and am still just as confused as ever. I'm sure one day someone will post a scope and sequence suitable for secular persons and I'll feel some sort of enlightenment or something and know that's what I've been waiting for, hehe.

I'm not sure what to do about science yet. I think I will just be learning alongside my kiddos with that. I'll just have to see what I can fit into life, I guess. I have no plans for curricula, I will just read whatever the library has. I don't want to purchase science works for my own self ed before my kids are closely approaching high school, because the books will be out of date by then.

Rosie

Math - I am currently working through Learning Mathematics in Elementary and Middle School. I will pick a high school curriculum to work through after.

Latin - I am halfway through Getting Started With Latin and will probably do his online course after. Once I have done more English grammar I will move on to Wheelock's.

Grammar - I am leaning toward Analytical Grammar. It is pricey, but so far it looks like the best fit for me.

I am also reading as many of the great books as I can. WEM has been a great help in this area along with How to read a book.

I'm currently killing two birds with one stone by using Saxon 87 to review elementary school math and find out what Saxon math is all about.

I'm also learning the Vereinfachte Ausgangsschrift, a popular style of handwriting in German schools. As a side benefit, it gives me an excuse to spend lots of time playing with my fountain pens.

I have Wheelocks's Latin sitting on the shelf next to the Well Educated Mind. I took 3.5 yrs of Latin in highschool, but I am in serious need of some brushing up. I'd like to take a minimalistic approach to the purchasing of Latin curricula for my crew until they are older, so *I* need to know what I'm doing. The Well Educated Mind...sigh...I admit it's tough to carve out the time to really read with 3 dc the ages of mine.

I would like to buy LOF soon (if I only had the $ LOL) so I can relearn what should have stuck years ago. Rosie gave me a good idea just now...print off some MEP to work through (duh? Paula:tongue_smilie:). I might do that to start over the holidays.

I have good intentions about going through KISS grammar too.

I'm smelling a New Year's Resolution in here...

I'm working my way through Analytical Grammar (love it!) and Henle.

That is.....when I'm not vomiting :glare:. The last few weeks have been particularly bad, so I doubt that I will be able to finish AG and Henle First Year before this baby is born. Sigh. Henle is taking me *forever*, every time I'm actually making progress I get ill for 9 months and the first few months with a newborn are never easy....so that when I get back I have to review for ages, before being able to get to new lessons. Makes for a really multi-multi year project, sigh.

when I did, I bought the next level or two up from what I would be using with my dc and studied it OR used my summers to study what I'd be using the upcoming school year.

I'm still studying. I'm thinking about becoming a classroom teacher. I LOVE Art Reed's Saxon algebra 1 dvds. I also use The Teaching Company dvds a LOT! The Art of Reading, Western Civilization 2, & History of US are some of my favorites.

The Khan Academy videos are great for learning or reviewing higher maths. You can find them on youtube. I plan to start watching them soon.

I'm teaching myself Latin, Spanish and slowly working my way through classics I've never had the opportunity to read (e.g. The Odyssey).

Honestly though, all of this self-education is only about 25% for the benefit of my children and 75% for the pure joy of learning. :)

Edited by shinyhappypeople

Mostly I've learned along side my children. I've just started reading the WEM. I don't think I'm gong to go from beginning to end though. I'd like my children to use AO so I'm starting with Pre Year 7 and filling the gaps with the "don't miss" books from the earlier years. Hopefully I'll have all of that done before dd is ready for Year 7. LOL

What do you do?

I've been loosely following the guide for adult education laid out in Andrew Campbell's LCC. You can probably check it out from your library if you don't wish to buy it. It addresses many different subjects and gives a suggested schedule.

I also really, really enjoy The Teaching Company's lectures. Many libraries carry the various courses and, of course, every course goes on 75% sale sometime during the year. We listen to them in the car or pop one in after the kids have gone to bed.

I think The Well Educated Mind is a wonderful introduction on how to read literature. I would think any good upper level grammar course would help you brush up/learn/improve your grammar.

Anyway have fun with this project. I've really enjoyed my journey.

I'm working through the saxon math books--currently skipping through 54 to brush up on any skills I've forgotten and plan to work my way through calculus.

I'm also working on reading the classics. I never really read them growing up so my goal is to read them ahead of my kids and stay 1-2 grades ahead of them.

Eventually I would like to work on learning Latin. But that's for further down the road.

If you are educating yourself for the purpose of being prepared to teach your own children, what is your personal list of curriculum? What do you do?

In content areas, I simply work to fill in my huge and numerous gaps and to get a better grasp on the "Big Picture" -- how the sub-areas of subjects fit together, and how all the subjects integrate and connect. The best way that I've found to fill in these gaps is to (a) read; (b) write/take notes; and © discuss my discoveries and musings (eventually) with my husband. ONE NOTE OF CAUTION: Please, if you undertake a self-education project, do NOT, under any circumstances, have an epiphany that you just have to share with your loved one at 11:00 pm. ;)

Bible -- This area is fairly well established and firmed up, at least for now.

Literature -- I'm not working through any "list," because I feel the need to firm up other areas first. Since my children are so young, the Great Books seem a long way off. I know they will come, but I have read enough of those books to feel a sense of peace about focusing on other areas. I'm hoping I'll either have time to refresh my memory before the girls get there, or it'll all come back to me. :lol:

History -- This area has huge gaps. We went to public schools, which taught history neither well nor chronologically. Imagine the gaps! :svengo:

Geography -- This area is fairly strong, and we'll be studying Geography next year (2011), which will refresh my memory.

Science -- This area is extremely weak for me, but a strength for my husband. Our girls need a better science education than I had. I'm working through Nebel's Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding -- a great resource for me to read, study, ponder, and (eventually) implement.

Artist Study & Composer Study -- In my public school education, these areas were non-existent. This year (2010), we focused on four composers (J.S. Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart & Beethoven). Next year, we plan to focus on six artists (Leonardo, Michelangelo, Rembrandt, Benjamin West, van Gogh, Degas). I don't know how it will go, but it will be a case of the teacher learning right alongside the students.

In the skill areas, there is never enough time in the day, but still on the table are...

Math -- I had thought about purchasing and working through this math education course, but then I came across this website, and have been learning so much from Maria Miller! :D Not only can she explain math so that even I can understand it -- :001_huh: -- she can teach me how to teach it, too. I am amazed at Maria's ability to teach me, and then teach me to teach! So this is an area of much-needed growth right now.

Grammar -- We are working through FLL, levels 1 & 2. I probably should work up ahead, in R & S 5 or higher? I haven't prioritized grammar. It doesn't feel like my greatest weakness, so it's lower on the list.

Latin -- I am working my way through Henle I. It's slow right now (translation: stalled). ;) I can truly say that I have enjoyed all the Latin I have trudged through, can see its tremendous benefits (seriously), and have every intention of getting back into the fray with the noble Romans and the barbarous Gauls as soon as Christmas is over.

Music -- I have this music theory course, and am working my way through it. Very worth doing, I think. So far, so good. There is hope that I may, someday, actually understand chords. Wouldn't that be amazing? HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama

I'm reading through SWB's history books. My oldest is in K this year, and I'm half way or so through The History of the Medieval World. It is satisfying to me to look through SOTW 1 and to recognize many of the names and events. Not that I'm an expert, but having read them on a surface, high school level makes me feel better going into the history.

I'm also reading through the Well Educated mind lists, but I'm trying to do it chronologically instead of by genre.

I am working through Algebra I from Chalk Dust.

I want to work my way through history, so I am thinking of using the History Odyssey Level 3 courses, but first I am going to order The Well Educated Mind and see what I can glean and implement from that book. I am hoping to begin this by the start of next summer.